Which jointer?

Jeff Horton

More or less thinking out loud here. Now the the Hall and Brown is restored my attention is drawn to the fact I have 3 jointers in the shop. I have always said that one of the other two would go away. Just not sure which one to dispose of.

Both are 6" jointers. One is a running long bed, 55" I believe. The other is a to be restored 6" jointer short bed, 38" +/-. I am torn between the two. The long bed has obvious advantages but the H&B is even longer beds.

The shorter one will fit in a smaller space and is good for small parts and I could run longer ones on the H&B. It also has some sentimental attachment but this is not really a factor. I don't really want to just keep it because.

Anny thoughts?

Jeff,

Was faced with the same delima, had a working NWWM 6" jointer I had got on closeout, then had my Yates American 6" I got going, and have the Crescent 8" (not as big as the HB you have, but not a bad size).

I decided to get rid of the NWWM jointer I had, and sold it, keeping the YA 6" and Crescent 8" (still needs some parts). I did it because as you say, the smaller one is easier to store and use on small stuff, and while mine is only a 1/2 HP 3 phase motor, it feels as strong as the 1 HP NWWM I sold.

Probably doesn't help you much, but that's what I did. I don't know if I'll sell the YA after I get the Crescent going, but that' a possibility...only keep one. I figure when I build my next house/shop, I'll take one there and keep the smaller YA at my current house.

I found my 6 inch jointer near useless... I had my saw adjusted to that I rarely had to edge joint, and most hardwood was wider than 6 inches (the minimum width for FAS grade). Not a lot wider, but enough that I couldn't face joint it on the 6 inch jointer.

I was thinking about an 8 inch jointer, when I got a combo with a 16 inch jointer... boy is that nice! And I have used the width many times.

I never recommend a 6 inch jointer, so that eliminates most of your options IMHO.

Just did my first edge jointing on the Great Pumpkin, well real work. Not just testing/practice/ man this is fun cuts. :eek: Had to adjust the outfeed table just a hair. Surprises me how easy these monstrous tables are to adjust too. But after some tweaking it made a perfect edge(s). I was realizing I could do everything on it if I wanted. No real need for the 6".

Then did some on the 6" long bed because the phase converter was not running. Just saved me walking across the shop to fire it up. So that is advantage. But once I get remote start switches install near the jointer and bandsaw that will be a none issue.

I use the 6" all the time for a lot of things and the 6" width is wide enough for a lot of stuff of do. I never recommend buying a 6" but if it is far from useless in my shop. I keep it set at 1/32" cut 99% of the time so I often can trim down a board that is a just a tad to wide with it for example.

The only way I am going to be able to decide is to get the other one restored and use it a while. Then I can see which one I like better. I like the idea I can tuck it in a corner or at the end of the bench. Use it edge a short board or face small one. But I may find it less useful than I expect once I get it going. Of course I have more pressing machines to finish, so it may be a none issue too.