Look what we (I) missed

Jay Lock

http://www.awfsfair.org/awfsfair/home/video.asp

Does this take place in Atlanta next year? Do you have to be a professional to attend or can anyone go?

Vaughn, I think you should start setting up rules for a FWW beltsander elimination and challenge. We all throw $20 in, fly to some undisclosed destination, winner goes to the 2008 event and challenges the AWFS winner! That should get us some new members!

Jay, the AWFS (American Woodworking and Furnishing Suppliers) show takes place in alternating years in Las Vegas, 2007 etc. The International Woodworking Federation (IWF) show takes place in alternating years in Atlanta, 2008 etc.

I was there--the Woodworker's Supply booth was across a wide aisle from the BS races, and I can assure you that contrary to the claim that the races drew "thousands", I would guesstimate that there weren't more than 300-400 people there. The races started at 4:30, at the end of the show day, and lots of people just didn't want to wait around. I'd guess that at least 100 or so of the people "watching" were the participants (teams of 2, 3 or 4 people for each belt sander) and others were their "supporters." The pictures (two identicals) that were made from the top of the bleachers were made after 5:00 p.m., just at the time the show closed for the day. I and several WWS people are that picture somewhere--I recognize a couple of them--and we could not leave the booth until 5:00 p.m.

It was loud, the MC was inept, and seemed to be fun for some and intolerable for others.

As for the AWFS and the IWF, the idea behind these two shows is for companies and manufacturers to show off to professional woodworkers the new tools, machines, components, etc. that are available to the industry. Case in point: Steel City introduced their line of machines at the '06 IWF, then introduced their granite-topped machines this year at AWFS. A lot of the larger companies save their unveilings for these two shows. You don't have to be a professional to attend, but the AWFS requires registration under a company name (just name yourself with a company name); I'm not sure about IWF, but I think it's the same way. I do know a lot of people who attended AWFS who are just backyard woodworkers. There are also companies who will grab free tickets for their "best" customers.

I've been to Vegas twice for AWFS with the Woodworker's group (I'm a demonstrator for a couple of their machines). It's a great trip and a great show, but I won't be going again. Maybe the IWF in Atlanta next year (it's always the last week of August), but unless the company ponies up some large $$, I'm staying home!! It's just too darned hot in Vegas in July and Atlanta in August to spend my vacation time sweltering.

Nancy (136 days)

You do not have to be a professional. I have been to the Atlanta show twice.

It is a BLAST !! They know that hobby guys come and there is PLENTY to see that would fit in our shops.

I met the young man who was THE product manger for the new PC little belt sander. He was so proud of his tool. In fact he did a great job. I now own one.

You get to see tools with the covers off so you can really see how they are built.

If you are in buying mood there are a lot of deals to be had. I pre-purchased the Laguna HD16 BS ( floor demo unit ). Got a great deal and just came back on Sunday afternoon and picked it up.

I get something in the mail so I will share it with the group when the time comes.

Marty can certainly share more about the purchasing expericence...

Nancy, I don't blame you, BUT! You'll be coming out of retirement the next show you decide to work. It won't take up your vacation time. Maybe that would sway you! :D Jim.
]

Very true, Jim, very true. If they want me bad enough, they'll have to pony up travel expenses, hotel (and I don't stay at the no-tell motel either!) and daily per diem. Since hubby has now been to about 5 or 6 of these, and put together the booth for Vegas, he might have to go too. AWWWWWW!

Nancy (136 days)

tod. Does yours have the model # on it where?

I have no model# on it that I can find. :huh: :dunno:

Just Type A3

Porter Cable TakeAbout

3x24 belt

Serial 15068

Made in Syracuse, New York

And it weights a ton :rofl:

Thats from back when Porter-Cable was making them here! :thumb: --- Actually in Ned's part of the woods! Those early sanders really helped establish their reputation in the WW industry.

I think we should get Steve to loan us the sander and Travis to use some of that hi-tech carbon fibre stuff to make a body. Heck he'd have a year to fine tune it, and with his railroad experience............ maybe we can get some of the EE's in here to modify the motor so it develops more torque once the thing is moving, that should make it go faster without slipping shouldn't it?

What do I know, I never took an engineering course! :rofl::rofl:

tod. Does yours have the model # on it where?

I have no model# on it that I can find. :huh: :dunno:

Just Type A3

Porter Cable TakeAbout

3x24 belt

Serial 15068

Made in Syracuse, New York

And it weights a ton :rofl:

Hmmmm,:huh: I think I must have a Cousin to yours, Steve, 'cause it also looks like a Railroad engine and weighs a ton:D, Buuut..... It just says; ROCKWELL, Model A3, 3 Inch Belt Sander, Serial No. 95309, AC-DC 9 amps, Rockwell Manufacturing Company, Pittsburg, Pa, USA. I guess it must not be as old as yours, I just don't know, and can't remember when Rockwell took over and when they got out of the PC stuff. It has the Raised Letter Rockwell with the red background cast into one side of it.

I never noticed that AC-DC before, I wonder just exactly what that means, will it run on DC? I inherited this from a Beau of my wife's Aunt, and unfortunately he had dropped it on it's nose at some time, and although the outside is OK, the inside of the front case has a crack where the front bearing fits in. It still runs, but I was going to have it completely rebuilt at one point, (which they used to do reasonably, and replace EVERYTHING that showed any wear and it would come back just like new), but they had gone up considerably, and I could buy the Brand New PC for less money, so I just forgot about it.

I think we should get Steve to loan us the sander and Travis to use some of that hi-tech carbon fibre stuff to make a body. Heck he'd have a year to fine tune it, and with his railroad experience............ maybe we can get some of the EE's in here to modify the motor so it develops more torque once the thing is moving, that should make it go faster without slipping shouldn't it?

What do I know, I never took an engineering course! :rofl::rofl:
I think it'd be a kick to field an entry. You bring up an interesting point about then cross section of talent we have here. Not sure that I could offer much in the way of help other than cheering the participants on.

If you do a Google search for "belt sander racing" you'll see all sorts of sanders used. The P-C/Rockwell "Locomotive" body is pretty popular.

Stock1.jpg

I never noticed that AC-DC before, I wonder just exactly what that means, will it run on DC?

Just taking a guess here, but I know that a lot of old industrial manufactures use to use DC for various motors and machines in their facilities. The sander might have been built to be converted for factory work where DC was available.

When I was in school I worked as a janitor in a machine shop. Connected to the machine shop building was one of Westinghouse's old factory buildings. All of the overhead multi-ton cranes in the Westinghouse side ran on huge DC motors.

steve-n-norman, the takeabout and rockwell a-3 are the same unit as a 504.
504 is the new (post `75 number)....they`re the best balanced belt sander i`ve ever driven. norman if you can get yours rebuilt for the cost of a newer/cheaper sander, like a couple hundred bucks, you`d be money ahead!
here`s a link to a referb. unit;
http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/...standard&OVADID=8940568511&OVKWID=57334688511

Boy, have they really gone up in price. I think it has been 8 or 10 years since I priced a "Factory Rebuild" from Porter Cable, and they had just gone up on the Flat rate price from about $145 to nearly $300 plus shipping each way,:eek: and at that time a new one of the current model was only about $265 IIRC, but it didn't look to me to be quite as durable as the old one. I kinda did a partial rebuild myself, but couldn't find that nose piece and it could really use a new armature, as the brushes have worn it pretty good. I just cleaned it up and smoothed it some, but I only use it when absolutely necessary because of that cracked bearing housing. I have no idea what they would want now to do a rebuild.