Thread: Making a Spray Stand

Making a Spray Stand

It's all Vaughn's fault

I saw his nifty 3 point stand and had to make one........... and share it with you

Attachment 11328
    OK, I have a piece of thicker MDF, six nails, a pair of pliers and a drill.....

Attachment 11329
    I nip the heads off the nails, they would just get in the way

Attachment 11330
    Now I have a leg, but the one end is sharp and pointy and the other is sharp from being nipped off, so...

Attachment 11332
    I clamp a small piece of wood on my griding platform, so the drill chuck does not hit the platform and I spin the nails, ah, legs, so I can get a nice flat (for pounding) on one end, and a rounded end on the other where it will contact the piece being sprayed.......

Attachment 11333
    I made two, side by side, one big, one smaller...

Attachment 11334 Attachment 11335
    Yep, works good

but............. not for when the bowl is turned over.....................

So I pulled the legs, and cut one side down smaller............

Attachment 11336
    I then attached it to a block to raise it up and a base to keep it from falling over.........

Attachment 11337
    Works even better!

Attachment 11331
    Yep, that will do......................thanks for the idea Vaughn!!

I've already tried it and it works great!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Looks good to me Stu. I made one out of welding rod that works pretty good.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Just be carefull that the nails dont scratch it. That is going to make your life much easeir. I ues 5/32 dollrod glued to a 12"x12" peice od 1/2" ply.

Looks good, Stu. I'm keeping my eyes open for a lazy susan of some sort, to make turning the piece easier.

Here's another approach to the one big/one small concept. It saves only one nail, but I figured I'd offer it out as an idea.

Attachment 11338
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Reminds me of the finishing stand we used to have our students make (back in the dark ages) It was a trial in measureing, plotting and use of squares and such. They had to locate several points on a piece of plywood. (given to them in text form and requireing some math as well as measurement) they had to drive finishing nails through the plywood piece at specific points, they were graded on accuracy and the missing dings in the back side where they missed the nails. As a result, you could turn over the piece and produce a bed of nails (so to speak) that they could rest their project on whilst they dried. each student had his own bed of nails and could store his project safely till dry.

I like yours better for my purposes. I think I will duplicate your creation.

Thanks for the post.

Here's mine:

First, I "re-purposed" an old motor, housing, and gears from a "Showtime Rotisserie Grille" that I found at a garage sale for $5.00

The heating element was fried but the motor ran and that's all I needed anyway.

Mounted to a partial box made of 3/4 ply.

Mounted the motor gear through the top,

and the mate on to a 10" disk made of MDF.

A piece of corrugated with a few hundred staples support the work above the table.

It spins at a very comfortable 6 RPM, which is perfect for spraying a nice, controlled, even coat... one coat after the next.
    ----------------------------------
    -Steven
    My lathe is my therapist

Very cool idea, Steven. I'll have to file that one away for future consideration.

You can just Set It and Forget It!*

* As an aside, Set It and Forget It is a registered trademark owned since the late 80's by the company I work for. However, our trademark only applies to software products, so we couldn't go after Ron Popeil for trademark infringement.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nifty Keen Steven... Your round bed of nails is similar to the one I discribed that we used to have the kids make but your Rotisserie Grille is a great addition. I like the Dungeon Meister's version as well. Perhaps if there was an adapter kit to put the tallr tri-prong holder(upper) on the Rotisserie Grille then it would be a bit easier to spray the underside as it traveled around and around and around.....

I've been looking for one of those Rotisserie Grille things to make a Tumbler to polish stones, etc. Maybe if I went to more yard sales and quit crabbin' about not finding one....

Thanks for that post.

That is great Steven, great idea, and great pics!

Thanks for sharing!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Great job Steve. You could also use a microwave turntable motor( 2-3 RPM).