Making a Spray Stand

Stuart Ablett

It's all Vaughn's fault :D

I saw his nifty 3 point stand and had to make one........... and share it with you :wave:

spray_stand_prep.JPG
OK, I have a piece of thicker MDF, six nails, a pair of pliers and a drill.....

spray_stand_nip.JPG
I nip the heads off the nails, they would just get in the way

spray_stand_leg.JPG
Now I have a leg, but the one end is sharp and pointy and the other is sharp from being nipped off, so...

spray_stand_grind.JPG
I clamp a small piece of wood on my griding platform, so the drill chuck does not hit the platform and I spin the nails, ah, legs, so I can get a nice flat (for pounding) on one end, and a rounded end on the other where it will contact the piece being sprayed.......

spray_stand_big_little.JPG
I made two, side by side, one big, one smaller...

spray_stand_works.JPG spray_stand_works_under.JPG
Yep, works good :thumb:

but............. not for when the bowl is turned over..................... :doh:

So I pulled the legs, and cut one side down smaller............

spray_stand_raised.JPG
I then attached it to a block to raise it up and a base to keep it from falling over.........

spray_stand_raised_bottom.JPG
Works even better! :D

spray_stand_raised_up.JPG
Yep, that will do......................thanks for the idea Vaughn!! :clap:

I've already tried it and it works great! :thumb:

Cheers!

Just be carefull that the nails dont scratch it. That is going to make your life much easeir. I ues 5/32 dollrod glued to a 12"x12" peice od 1/2" ply.

Looks good, Stu. I'm keeping my eyes open for a lazy susan of some sort, to make turning the piece easier.

Here's another approach to the one big/one small concept. It saves only one nail, but I figured I'd offer it out as an idea.

Drying Board.jpg

Reminds me of the finishing stand we used to have our students make (back in the dark ages) It was a trial in measureing, plotting and use of squares and such. They had to locate several points on a piece of plywood. (given to them in text form and requireing some math as well as measurement) they had to drive finishing nails through the plywood piece at specific points, they were graded on accuracy and the missing dings in the back side where they missed the nails. As a result, you could turn over the piece and produce a bed of nails (so to speak) that they could rest their project on whilst they dried. each student had his own bed of nails and could store his project safely till dry.

I like yours better for my purposes. I think I will duplicate your creation.

Thanks for the post.

Here's mine:

First, I "re-purposed" an old motor, housing, and gears from a "Showtime Rotisserie Grille" that I found at a garage sale for $5.00

The heating element was fried but the motor ran and that's all I needed anyway.

Mounted to a partial box made of 3/4 ply.

finish_turntable1.jpg

Mounted the motor gear through the top,
finish_turntable4.jpg

and the mate on to a 10" disk made of MDF.

finish_turntable3.jpg

finish_turntable2.jpg

A piece of corrugated with a few hundred staples support the work above the table.

finish_turntable5.jpg

It spins at a very comfortable 6 RPM, which is perfect for spraying a nice, controlled, even coat... one coat after the next.

Very cool idea, Steven. I'll have to file that one away for future consideration. :thumb:

You can just Set It and Forget It!* :rofl:

* As an aside, Set It and Forget It is a registered trademark owned since the late 80's by the company I work for. However, our trademark only applies to software products, so we couldn't go after Ron Popeil for trademark infringement. :( ;)

Nifty Keen Steven... Your round bed of nails is similar to the one I discribed that we used to have the kids make but your Rotisserie Grille is a great addition. I like the Dungeon Meister's version as well. Perhaps if there was an adapter kit to put the tallr tri-prong holder(upper) on the Rotisserie Grille then it would be a bit easier to spray the underside as it traveled around and around and around.....

I've been looking for one of those Rotisserie Grille things to make a Tumbler to polish stones, etc. Maybe if I went to more yard sales and quit crabbin' about not finding one....

Thanks for that post.