Collared Red Eucalyptus Crotch HF

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is a piece of red eucalyptus crotch wood, about 7 1/2" wide by 5 3/4" tall. There are a bunch of piths in it, so it cracked like crazy. Still, the wood was nice and I wanted to go ahead and see how it would look finished out. I first filled the cracks with epoxy and charcoal dust (with a bit of India ink to color the epoxy), but the epoxy never did set up right (old stuff). So I dug it all out and used charcoal dust and CA instead. There were a few wood particles in the charcoal, and I wrongly assumed they wouldn't show up in the final product, but they do, so now there are little light-colored flecks scattered throughout the crack patches. I may fix them with a Sharpie if they start to bug me too much.

The collar is walnut, ebonized with India ink followed by a couple coats of a shellac wash that was tinted with more ink. I'm not completely happy with the transition into the collar, but it is what it is.

As per my latest fad, it's finished with Tung Oil blend, then a few coats of spray lacquer, with some 600 grit wet sanding at the end. Polished out with the standard 3-wheel approach. There are a couple spots in the finish I'm not happy with, so I'll quite likely try some touch-up after the finish has cured a bit more.

Lots o' pics, since there's different stuff going on in the wood all the way around. ;)

HF030 - 01 800.jpg HF030 - 05 800.jpg HF030 - 02 800.jpg HF030 - 06 800.jpg

HF030 - 03 800.jpg HF030 - 07 800.jpg HF030 - 04 800.jpg HF030 - 08 800.jpg

As always, opinions and suggestions are welcome. :wave:

Vaughn..........My man....That maybe my favorite of everything you've turned. Extremely well done sir! You've come a long way in a short time. Extremely well done!

Thanks guys. The wood definitely did all the hard work on this one. (Although I must say this red eucalyptus can make osage orange seem not so hard.)

We're all learning this stuff together. That's part of what makes it so fun. :thumb:

Vaughn, this is one wood I have only had the opportunity to turn a few times and then it was smaller pieces that I turned into bowls.

This is a magnificent piece of wood turned and displayed beautifully. I absolutely love the color.

Geez, Vaughn,

Way cool. But how do you get your tools sharp enough so you don't spend an eternity sanding something like that? And which tools are you using for basic shaping?

Oh, and one more. Remember that platter you did recently? How in the heck did you hold that on the lathe?????

Inquiring minds need to know! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for the comments, all. :)

Geez, Vaughn,

Way cool. But how do you get your tools sharp enough so you don't spend an eternity sanding something like that? And which tools are you using for basic shaping?

Oh, and one more. Remember that platter you did recently? How in the heck did you hold that on the lathe?????

Inquiring minds need to know! ;)

Thanks,

Bill
Bill, just regular old grinder sharpening gets the tools sharp enough. The red euc is hard but it cuts nice and clean. Basic shaping was with a bowl gouge, and the shape fine-tuned with a 1" straight scraper.

On the platter, I mounted the blank between centers, shaped the back, and made a tenon where the foot is (just like a bowl). Then I held the tenon in the chuck while turning the top of the platter. To remove the tenon, I wanted to use a donut chuck, but the platter was too big. Instead, I used the faceplate part of the donut chuck as a jam chuck, using the tailstock to hold the platter in place. I also used plastic stretch wrap to help hold the platter onto the faceplate. (I still needed the tailstock, though.) Then I just turned away the tenon, leaving a little nub for the tailstock to hold. As the final cut, I cut away the nub with a detail gouge. A little power sanding to clean up the remnants of the tenon and it was done.

Yowza Vaughn, that's a gorgeous piece! Last I saw you were primarily turning pens... this is one for the showcase!

Corey

Yowza Vaughn, that's a gorgeous piece! Last I saw you were primarily turning pens... this is one for the showcase!

Corey
You've got some catching up to do, Corey. :D I got a hollowing rig at the beginning of the year, and haven't done a pen since. (I'll be doing some soon though...stocking up for the holidays and such, you know.) ;)

Thanks for the compliments. Today I sent in the entry application for my first juried art show, so we'll soon see about your "showcase" comment. :) All I know is that I still have a lot to learn.

Good luck Vaughn! You had just bought a Craftsman 15" right.. that's what you are still using? I am still using my little red PSI :)

Corey

Thanks for the comments, all. :)

Bill, just regular old grinder sharpening gets the tools sharp enough. The red euc is hard but it cuts nice and clean. Basic shaping was with a bowl gouge, and the shape fine-tuned with a 1" straight scraper.

On the platter, I mounted the blank between centers, shaped the back, and made a tenon where the foot is (just like a bowl). Then I held the tenon in the chuck while turning the top of the platter. To remove the tenon, I wanted to use a donut chuck, but the platter was too big. Instead, I used the faceplate part of the donut chuck as a jam chuck, using the tailstock to hold the platter in place. I also used plastic stretch wrap to help hold the platter onto the faceplate. (I still needed the tailstock, though.) Then I just turned away the tenon, leaving a little nub for the tailstock to hold. As the final cut, I cut away the nub with a detail gouge. A little power sanding to clean up the remnants of the tenon and it was done.

Vaughn, I was reading with your interest in how you reverse chucked your platter on the face of your doughnut chuck.

I thought I might offer a suggestion to you and anyone else interested in a simple foam padded faceplated mounted device for that purpose.

Essentially it is just a couple of pieces of MDF or plywood laminated together and trued up. Then use rubber cement to glue some carpet padding on the face. Then it is just a matter of bringing up your tailstock to center the piece you wish to reverse turn and go to work. I do run this at a relatively slow speed but I am a cautious chicken.

Here is a pic of what I am trying to describe....

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 10
Vaughn, this is a beautiful piece! The form is spot on from top to bottom, IMO. I think the transistion from the vessel to the collar looks fine. It could be a bit more defined, but it looks fine as is, and I feel it works nicely. Spectacular color, and a good looking finish too. On a scale of 1 to 10, this one is definitely Bo Derek! :D

Last edited: