Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang, I Missed It!

Dang, I Missed It!

Just saw this float by on the headlines...

4.5 Earthquake in LA

We're pretty close to Chatsworth, but I didn't feel a thing. (That would explain why the dogs were acting a bit strange earlier, though.) After you've been through a few, they feel kind of cool. The little ones can be downright fun. The big ones definitely get your attention, though.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Just saw this float by on the headlines...

4.5 Earthquake in LA

We're pretty close to Chatsworth, but I didn't feel a thing. (That would explain why the dogs were acting a bit strange earlier, though.) After you've been through a few, they feel kind of cool. The little ones can be downright fun. The big ones definitely get your attention, though.
    Are you saying you want it like it was in '73 for you folks up in Tujunga? You are right next door to where the overpasses collapsed in Sylmar, right? I've been through most of the big quakes in L.A., lived 5 miles away from the Northridge, and that was the worst I've been in, we lost almost all our dishes, wedding memorabilia, etc...(house was close to Victory/Balboa).

Once I was working downtown when the Whitier quake hit, and we had a new guy working for us. The building was on rollers, many of the large buildings downtown L.A. are like that. We were on the 39th floor. The new guy was pretty fresh from China, couldn't speak english too well even. I think he laid a potato in his pants. He left and never came back, never told my boss he was leaving, never called back and we never heard from him... (Security Pacific Bank Headquarters, now BofA)

Quakes are strange, sometimes you can be close and not feel too much (your case of this one in Chatsworth), but others farther away are more impacted. The Northridge quake did more damage in Santa Monica than it did in many parts of the Valley. My neighborhood lost all of their north/south brick walls around the yards though...my walls survived though. We were evicted during the Sylmar quake, the Van Norman dam was in danger of breaking and they evicted many cities under it, we were just moving to Granada Hills (i.e., in the middle of moving when the quake hit).

Good that you're ok.
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 08-09-2007 at 06:00 PM.

I wasn't here for the '73 quake, but remember Northridge vividly. Aside from the damage and loss of life, it was fun, it its own strange way. Then again, so am I.

Our office building was in Glendale at the time...on the 6th floor of an 8-story building. It was also on rollers. Later in the day after the Northridge quake there was a group of us who'd gathered at the office to check things out and get systems running again. We were sitting in a circle of chairs just shooting the breeze, when one of the beefy aftershocks hit. The conversation didn't even pause as the building swayed back and forth for a bit. After it was done moving, I commented how that day before, what we'd just felt would have been a major quake. But after what we'd all been through earlier that morning, that aftershock didn't even interrupt our conversation.

As it turns out, LOML did feel this morning's quake, and she was sleeping on a waterbed. I, OTOH, sitting at a computer, didn't feel a thing.

workingwoods.com

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Not being in Tujunga in '73 would explain your exuberance towards quakes.

When you get a taste of one closer that really shakes things around, you might feel a big different. The Northridge is the biggest I've been in, when we lived in Van Nuys, before that I remember going through the Sylmar when we lived in Canoga Park, but that was child's play in comparison. My son was only about a year old, sleeping in our bed at the time, and he slept through the Northridge, which is amazing to me.

The Northridge quake left the building I was working at next to the Santa Monica Airport in a sad state, as it did the IBM building by the water garden. Our building in Santa Monica had the concrete walls seperated about 6" from the floor to the roof, and the IBM building by the water garden was condemned.

We're certainly not quake-free in NorCal, but get less than SoCal it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff View Post
    Not being in Tujunga in '73 would explain your exuberance towards quakes.

When you get a taste of one closer that really shakes things around, you might feel a big different. The Northridge is the biggest I've been in, when we lived in Van Nuys, before that I remember going through the Sylmar when we lived in Canoga Park, but that was child's play in comparison. My son was only about a year old, sleeping in our bed at the time, and he slept through the Northridge, which is amazing to me.

The Northridge quake left the building I was working at next to the Santa Monica Airport in a sad state, as it did the IBM building by the water garden. Our building in Santa Monica had the concrete walls seperated about 6" from the floor to the roof, and the IBM building by the water garden was condemned.

We're certainly not quake-free in NorCal, but get less than SoCal it seems.
    The Northridge quake was definitely noticed in Tujunga. The rental house I was living in had no structural damage, but it emptied the kitchen and bathroom cabinets and broke quite a bit of stuff. (Still have a small scar where I stepped barefoot through the glass of a framed picture that ended up leaning on the wall.) My (now) wife lived in Granada Hills when the Northridge quake hit. Her house had some structural and cosmetic damage.

Despite my cavalier attitude about them, I recognize quakes can be ugly beasts. I just figure I may as well try to glean something other than stress and worry from them. If it's my turn to go, it's my turn to go, regardless of whether I'm happy or bummed. May as well be happy. Sorta like Slim Pickens riding the bomb in Dr. Strangelove.

workingwoods.com

Our office building was in Glendale at the time...on the 6th floor of an 8-story building. It was also on rollers.
    Building on rollers? Are we talkin' near Brand Avenue here? Oh well, native son of a native son, etc. of SoCal, I often hear about the quakes on the radio as opposed to feel them anymore. The little ones are noticed by some small part of my brain that acknowledges "that was a quake" but it rarely even interrupts conversation.

The larger ones (like the one that danced my bed out into the middle of my bedroom way back when) are very serious and my heart goes out to those effected by them. I've always gotten by with cracked ceilings or dancing furniture and such.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Building on rollers? Are we talkin' near Brand Avenue here? ...
    701 North Brand, to be exact. How'd you know?

workingwoods.com

701 North Brand, to be exact. How'd you know?
    When I worked for a mainframe shop as a network geek we did the Sears Financial Centers rollouts (Sears bought Allstate S&L). Remember that fiasco? An ATM in every Sears store. It was so frustrating watching the Sears folks waste more money in a day than I made in a month. You could literally sit in the meetings and hear the money hitting the floor. Anyway, spent quite a few hours a week in those twin blue buildings 20-odd years ago (they were blue weren't they?).
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    ...Anyway, spent quite a few hours a week in those twin blue buildings 20-odd years ago (they were blue weren't they?).
    By the time I moved out here in '91, they were concrete colored. I seem to recall being told that they had been re-faced though, so they may well have been blue when you were in them. Although our company moved to Burbank in 2001, I have a lot of fond memories (and plenty of war stories) from the Glendale days.

workingwoods.com

4.5? I'm surprised that even made the papers...

That's like a catagory 1 hurricane... only really scary for people who don't live there and are watching on tv...

but this:

"We're certainly not quake-free in NorCal, but get less than SoCal it seems."

If I wrote something like that, I would be throwing salt over both shoulders, knocking on every piece of wood I could find, etc...

Thanks,

Bill