Questions on using 6" PVC for dust collection

Wes Billups

I have a few questions regarding 6” PVC. I purchased all of the ASTM D-2729 6” PVC I need to connect my tools to the cyclone and have a few questions as I’ve never used 6” PVC for dust collection.

1. I need to buy some 6” flex hose for the short distance between the PVC and tool. How well will the 6” hose from Lee-Valley fit over 6” PVC?

2. To get the system up and running I am planning on buying a few of Lee-Valley’s blast gates and was wondering how well these fit 6” PVC?

3. My cyclone has a 7” inlet. Is it acceptable to cut a wooden doughnut to fit the smaller pipe into the inlet. I realize sharp transitions like this are typically not wanted but this will be a case where the air flow is going from a smaller pipe to larger. If anyone has other ideas, I’m open to suggestions.

4. I could use any tips on assembling the system. The pipe seems unwieldy by itself and I hate to think of trying to hold a large assembled section up while trying to attach it to the ceiling. I’m also looking for input on ways to cut the pipe, I’m was thinking of building a wooden miter box to crosscut it with a handsaw.

5. Will friction fitting the pieces together be enough? I’m impressed with the fit and would be willing to caulk the joints if necessary. I just hate the idea of having screw tips projecting into my nice smooth walled pipe.

I want to build my own blast gates but really want to have the table saw and router table hooked up prior to milling the wood for the blast gates. This is the reason for purchasing 2 – Lee Valley gates. I’m also open to suggestions for sources on the hose and blast gates. Lee Valley seems to have the best price/service so I thought I would go with them.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

First of all read this thread . Thre is a lot of good info about PVC.

I am doing the same thing. As a matter of fact I have been sitting at home all day waiting on the freight truck to arrive with my DC from Grizzly.

I thinking I am going to use 6" for all piping going down to 4" after the 6" blast gate for machines that will only use 4".

Here is a good link for blast gates... I'm not sure how many you have to purchase since this is a manufacture. I have not purchased anything from them, but I am going to check them out. I may make blast gates, but at 7.43 for a 6" gate, I do not think I can make them from that.

I am looking at the lighter gage pipe, but pipe is not the cost. It's the Y's, 45's and 90's.

Marty said he found an 8" to 6" rubber sewer connection reducer that he used .

After the ideas on the other thread, I now understand you can probably friction fit and seal with silicon caulk. that would be very helpful.

I may have to try to find some kind of self tapping metal screw just the right length.

I think I am going to use full thickness 6" pipe since the cost difference on that part is not that much different.

Can you post any pictures of what you are doing.???

Last edited:
Hi Wes.

It seems to me that a wooden disk of 7" OD, and 6" ID should work just fine. I would use some PL brand caulking to hold it in place and seal any air leaks.

I did NOT glue the PVC joints. I put one 1/2" sheet metal screw in each joint to prevent the pipe from slipping the the joint, and then put PL caulking around the outside of the joint.

You should be able to buy plastic flex hose from Wynn Environmental. They are good people to deal with.

My experience with blast gates is that they never fit the PVC pipe and will need some type of "messing around with." In the case of my table saw and jointer, I made some blast gates. They are just 1/8" steel disks that fit inside the PVC and pivot on a 1/8" steel rod. The disk is epoxied to the rod. A lot of people will tell you that "stuff" will get caught by the disk, to which I say bologna.! If your cyclone has enough suction, the cuttings will not have time to get caught. We are talking dust and chips, not chunks of 2x4s.

Hanging from the ceiling is OK. My pipe runs along the wall at the ceiling. I used shelf brackets to set the pipe on. No need to tie it down, with the entire pipe run in place nothing is going to move. In your case, I would place my ceiling anchors in place for each section of pipe and then attach a string to each of the anchors and pull the pipe section into place. Finally, secure that section in place and then move to the next section.

On cutting the PVC, I used my Makita miter saw. I would cut through the pipe for the depth of my saw blade. Stop the saw, rotate the pipe and carefully position the pipe, and finish the cut. Be extra sure to hold the pipe down tightly or you can literally find yourself in a bind. The cut does not have to be real pretty, it will be hidden by the joint it slides into. There are those that will cry in horror over this technique, but it works for me. And yes, I have blown a couple cuts. That is why I stand the left of the blade as I am cutting.

You might consider getting blast gates from Ken Craft up in Toledo.

Have fun with your installation.

I have a few questions regarding 6” PVC. I purchased all of the ASTM D-2729 6” PVC I need to connect my tools to the cyclone and have a few questions as I’ve never used 6” PVC for dust collection.

1. I need to buy some 6” flex hose for the short distance between the PVC and tool. How well will the 6” hose from Lee-Valley fit over 6” PVC?
It might fit if you heat it some, but I had better luck making a collar out of aluminum and some hose clamps and using a heat gum to shrink the PVC. IMHO the LV PVC is a little harder to work with than that from woodworker's supply.
2. To get the system up and running I am planning on buying a few of Lee-Valley’s blast gates and was wondering how well these fit 6” PVC?
I don't know about LV's blast gates, but you might consider getting some gates from Ed Morgano at Clear Vue. They are made to be compatable with PVC.
3. My cyclone has a 7” inlet. Is it acceptable to cut a wooden doughnut to fit the smaller pipe into the inlet. I realize sharp transitions like this are typically not wanted but this will be a case where the air flow is going from a smaller pipe to larger. If anyone has other ideas, I’m open to suggestions.
I suspect you will be working with shorter sections, and most will be easier to handel.
4. I could use any tips on assembling the system. The pipe seems unwieldy by itself and I hate to think of trying to hold a large assembled section up while trying to attach it to the ceiling. I’m also looking for input on ways to cut the pipe, I’m was thinking of building a wooden miter box to crosscut it with a handsaw.
That is exactally what I did. The miter box may have to be reinforced.
5. Will friction fitting the pieces together be enough? I’m impressed with the fit and would be willing to caulk the joints if necessary. I just hate the idea of having screw tips projecting into my nice smooth walled pipe.
I did use screws, but think you might get by with good A/C tape (the aluminum stuff).
I want to build my own blast gates but really want to have the table saw and router table hooked up prior to milling the wood for the blast gates. This is the reason for purchasing 2 – Lee Valley gates. I’m also open to suggestions for sources on the hose and blast gates. Lee Valley seems to have the best price/service so I thought I would go with them.

I really like LV and think they have some great products, but Ed at Clear Vue and WWS have both been great to do business with as well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either, and I'm not affiliated with either.
Thanks,
Wes Billups

Hope this helps Wes.

I used the Woodworker's Supply hose and found it to be a great fit.

The Lee Valley gates look very nice. Hopefully someone that has some will answer the fit quesion. I made all my own blastgates to get that "perfect fit" .:D

Another possibilityy would be to use one HVAC fitting that went to 6" so you get a more gradual transition. Or better yet, run metal for the main run in 7" for the main trunk, and transition to 6" off that with PVC.

I used my cheap miter saw with a decent blade in it. A 60 tooth blade for plastic laminate should be even better.

I friction fitted all of my PVC, the siliconed the joints. nice seal, but easy to take apart. I was opposed to the screw tips in the air stream also. The other thing you could do is put the screw in, take it out and grind it down so it bites the PVC but doesn't stick into the air stream.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

Good luck with the install, and be sure to let us know how you do, with pictures!! I built my blast gates out of Melamine shelving, and 1/4" MDF for the slides. Seems to do well. Jim.

I see Cecil answered you before i did (the problem with starting an answer while at work and getting interrupted!!). Just a note on Ed's blastgates. They are not the self cleaning type, but if you are doing them for the short term, they do fit pvc very well. Jim.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I think I've got enough info to get started. Now I just need to get some shop time. It's getting pretty scarce as our third child is due the end of this month and I still need to build a changing table.

I'll post some pictures once I get started. Hopefully it will be this weekend but we just had 432 pickets delivered for a fence that also must get put in before the baby arrives.

Thanks again for everyone's comments, suggestions, and the links. If time wasn't such a constraint I'd probably make a run up to Ken Craft in Toledo and get my supplies from them.

Wes Billups