some stuff i`ve been busy with

You really seem to have a problem with straight boards, huh? :rolleyes:

Beautiful stuff there, Tod. Nice to see some pics of your work. :clap:

Vaughn.....tod looks at curved boards as "design opportunities"!:D He works really hard convincing the home owner they wanted those curved stairways and ceiling!:eek::rolleyes::D

Tod

It's gonna sound like a big echo chamber with all those well deserved compliments bouncing around. I was wondering what happened to those glue ups you posted awhile ago. You've been busy! Do I recall correctly that you work by yourself?

Thanks so much for the post and the pics, you are an inspiration!

Jay

ken, shaz-n-jay, thanks!
jay, i had a laboror on loan from the framer who helped me muscle the stairs and ceiling parts in....but yes i generally work alone....well the dogs are here for moral support;)

In the last pic in the series, I noticed this sign. With a bit of high tech computer enhancement and algorithmic magic, I was able to decipher what it says:

Tod's Stairs Sign Detail.jpg

I like the beamed ceiling. Very cool design. The barrel ceiling must have been a bear to build and install, too. Again, awesome stuff, Tod.

vaughn,
the beamed ceiling was kinda a bugger, the beams are false, as in not structural. they where salvaged from an old warehouse and chock full of metal:eek: still 350-400+lbs each......the planking was all hewn by hand using a drawknife, quite a bit of work there.
the day before yesterday the staircase was trashed! all the trades had been using it, drywallers and painters had splattered it, looked 100yrs abused.....another good reason to use repairable finishes!

Well tod, I won't bother with more praise. You've gotten plenty from everyone else, and I heap it on you when we talk.

All I have to say is that your work is inspiring...and humbling...all at the same time.

Inspiring, since all of us would like to be able to create such works of art from wood...

Humbling, since most of us know we won't be around long enough to get any where near as talented and skilled as you!

Oh wait, I said I wasn't going to praise you...

Never mind...

Heck, it's JUST WOOD! :rofl: :rofl:

Fantastic work tod! Simply Fantastic!
- Marty -

Tod, I showed my wife the pics, she thought is was a VERY old house being renovated, and hoped "that lovely old world wood was staying......" :D

When I told her that it was a new house, and that you built all of that lovely old wood work, she was really impressed, she did not think wood work of that quality was still being done. :clap:

I don't think I can add much to that! :D

Tod you have no idea what I would give to have half the talent/magic you have in creating warmth from a sterile white space.

DT

Stunning!

As others have said Tod, absolutely beautiful.

Ole boy once told me "whatever you do, do it the best you can" I think that ole boy must have met up with you at some point in your life, and you expanded on it from there.

Thanks for sharing your work :thumb:

Late to the dance but glad I made it :)

Awsome stuff Tod :thumb:

Sad to hear the other trades messed up your finishing job on the stairs :(

Just curious if the curved, barrel window is what they refer to as an "eyebrow dormer"?

Again, very nice work - beautiful :clap:

thanks jims,
jim b.
the dormer is actually half of a circle from the outside, i`m pretty sure that an "eyebrow" is a segment of a circle that`s less than half?
here`s the outside prior to rock.
MVC-135S.JPG

Awesome work Tod, thanks for sharing your talent! In this day and age of "slap that stuff together" home building, it is good to see client's that still appreciate the value and beauty of hand crafted treasures. I believe each and every one of us has a God given gift of some sort or another. Those that are very fortunate discover that gift sometime during their life on earth. Tod, I do believe you were one of the fortunate ones! :thumb:

(That Clardy character ain't no slouch either when it comes to putting wood together!) :-D

Last edited: