some stuff i`ve been busy with

thanks jims,
jim b.
the dormer is actually half of a circle from the outside, i`m pretty sure that an "eyebrow" is a segment of a circle that`s less than half?
here`s the outside prior to rock.
View attachment 11524

Hey thanks for the exterior pic Tod.
Did you do the window work as well?
I'm curious as to what material was used on the exterior of the dormer? copper?

Steve c, yeah it seems like there's no respect anymore eh?

So now Tod, Are you 100% done in this home or 90% or are you adding on a two story library? :D I would imagine with the fine work you do, you have alot of repeat clients and fortunately few call backs for changes or repairs. Are you going over to their house daily with the owners for java and crumpets :eek:. :rofl::rofl:... Have a great day.
Shaz

So now Tod, Are you 100% done in this home or 90% or are you adding on a two story library? :D I would imagine with the fine work you do, you have alot of repeat clients and fortunately few call backs for changes or repairs. Are you going over to their house daily with the owners for java and crumpets :eek:. :rofl::rofl:... Have a great day.
Shaz

funny you should ask shaz......the owner is getting in a hurry:(.......this past tuesday i blew up and told him i don`t hurry! i`ll finish up the study and some large mahogany columns for the theater room `cause i started `em but he`s to pay-up and get his stuff outta my shop by the end of next week....i`m done!.
when i started this job i did as i do with everybody and explained that building one of a kind anything isn`t the same as nailing off the shelf stuff to the wall, doing quality work is a time consuming and meticulous so don`t try to rush things when the paint goes on the walls.........he chose not to listen, i choose to leave....kind of a bummer after so much sweat invested but i refuse to play the "it`s good enough" game...

jim, the exterior of the barrel vaulted window is clad in soldered copper.

Well that is a real shame Tod, at least you will get paid.

I really do pity the next guy that comes along and tries to finish it up where you left off, you must be a hard act to follow :D

Cheers!

Tod

Too bad about the owner's reaction, but good for you to stick to your guns. I have a suspicion that you'll be getting a call back!

I quit a big consulting gig about a year ago, when it became clear that the CEO was never going to take my advice -- this was tough because over the years we had become friends as well. After about 6 months of tension we "made up" and resumed the personal relationship, but I don't talk in depth with him about his business anymore!

Jay

Can't say much more than others about your work...but I wanted to say Good on ya tod...

Makes me wonder what would happen if more people were like you... who take pride in their work...did the same thing. Maybe people would once again get GREAT work done...and then maybe...just maybe...society would appreciate what real talent it takes to do work like yours.

Guess I'm just wishin for the old days...when people looked for workmanship....not quick and cheap. :(

thanks guys!
i`d much rather have the reputation of a cranky ol` curmudgeon who does good work slowly than one who does fair work quickly.

tod

I stopped Tod's shop yesterday to waste his time. ;) He told me who the client is. Locally, the guy has a reputation for being.....ah....less than patient. Pity, he (the client) is throwing off a once in a lifetime opportunity to have some singular beauty in his home. What Tod is doing now is something special. What whoever follows him will do won't meet those standards. I have had a few special old-style muzzle loading rifles built for me. I learned quickly to give the builder an idea of what I want then get out of the shop. Someday he will call to say the gun is ready. And, without fail, I nearly pass out at the beauty of the finished piece. My friend, who built my Jaeger and will be building my next one (a flint American fowler) has, literally thrown boxes of parts at guys who wouldn't leave him alone and wanted their gun finished last week. Same principal. Ye want manufactured stuff, just crank up the machinery. Ye want masterful, artful crafting? Wait patiently.

Tod, I don't know what could be said in praise that hasn't already been said. When viewing the first pictures, I wondered if the owner's reaction was the same you were getting from us. Evidently not. I cannot imagine designing/fabricating/installing/finishing a custom stairway and then seeing it used as a scaffolding. Some people that have money appreciate the things, but not the craftsman themself. But man when you die, your work will be like the old world artists work, revered (sp?).
So, now that you don't have this guy to work for, can I borrow your lathe and bandsaw for a project I am starting??!!:rofl::p::rofl::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Tod, all of the praise and admiration I can muster is sent to you in all seriousness. My sarcasm was met with your honest come on over and I'll help. Man, another trait to admire. Appreciate the offer, I am a hermit by nature, and was only being a smart alek.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I really do pity the next guy that comes along and tries to finish it up where you left off"

Yeah, can you imagine being the next guy? I'd walk in, take one look at what's been accomplished, and my first reaction would be to just drop my tools and stand there in awe. Second reaction, I'd be tempted to never pick up my tools again, just walk off and find another profession, because I could never match what Tod's done, not even if I had several lifetimes to learn.

And then, when I'm standing there in stunned appreciation, to have someone say: "do it like this, only faster..." There'd be nothing for it but to sell all my tools, buy a oneway ticket to the carribean, and spend the rest of my life as a beach comber... ;)

So, let's all raise our glasses, and drink to quality and integrity! Tod, you are the man of the hour! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

wonder how long my family and i could comb beaches if i liquidate?

not happinen`! thanks for the flatery bill.

tod, i feel your pain...first let me say my quality of work is no where near yours, i would never compare them. however, i do strive to stay at the top of my personal abilities, and i find all too often people want things rushed, i was just having this conversation over coffee with a friend who is in another profession. people don't want to pay for nor do they want to wait for quality anymore.

thanks again for all your input on the site. it is greatly appreciated.

i truly hope the client changes his mind and allows you to finish what you started.

chris

i truly hope the client changes his mind and allows you to finish what you started.

chris

chris, even if the client where to change his tune there`s a sour taste in my mouth now......remember i`m the one who`s pickin` up my toys and going home :D.....this wasn`t a rash decision, it`d been building for a coupla months and i`d had enough.....to me it`s just another "Mc Mansion" i`ve worked in lots of `em each unique in its own way and on 90% of these big jobs somebody tries to hurry at the end....that`s why i started building furniture so i didn`t have to deal with builders-n-homeowners in their enviornment.....i knew that it was likely that this one would be rushed too...but it was cool enough to play the game for a while.....i played, got tired of the changing rules, so i`m pakin` up....no big deal;)..

Tod, I finally had the chance to really go through and "study" all the photos. First, let me say that it has all been said... awesome, incredible, stunning, etc. Truly! It is indeed unfortunate that some people cannot accept that fact the true quality cannot be rushed... ever. His loss. My only other comment involves the wainscoting. OMG! :eek: Absolutely STUNNING! I don't dare show these photos to LOML b/c she'd want me to tear ours out and do what you did, or hire you to come do it. Sorry, but that isn't vey likely.;)

funny you should ask shaz......the owner is getting in a hurry:(... (They do that sometimes..S ) this past tuesday i blew up and told him i don`t hurry! i`ll finish up the study and some large mahogany columns for the theater room `cause i started `em but he`s to pay-up and get his stuff outta my shop by the end of next week....i`m done! ( You are the one in this fight so I don't imagine it was spur of the moment...)...S ...when i started this job i did as i do with everybody and explained that building one of a kind anything isn`t the same as nailing off the shelf stuff to the wall, doing quality work is a time consuming and meticulous so don`t try to rush things when the paint goes on the walls.........he chose not to listen, i choose to leave.. ( I know that happens, they get impatient. :dunno: ...S)..kind of a bummer after so much sweat invested but i refuse to play the "it`s good enough" game... They tried to change the rules... THAT IS EXCITING!!! YOU SAID NO!!!!
THAT IS WHAT I THINK AMERICA IS!!! "I WILL NOT COMPOMISE, THE RULE IS THE RULE!!!!" I am proud of YOU! Had you not established rules before the games began, you would be the quitter!:eek: Integrity is not a gizmo or a pocket full of hundreds, it sometimes hurts, and is sometimes alone, but it stands up when No is the answer, and is willing to take a hit when belief is on the line.
You are right.:soapbox:
Shaz :)

jim, the exterior of the barrel vaulted window is clad in soldered copper.
P.S. Your work very well done, sorry they got impatient.

Last edited:
Man, sorry the job is collapsing. As others have already said this fellow will have a hard time finding someone to finish your work and make it look right. I've been impressed with your work for quite a while and your work ethic. I had a fellow I did a lot of work for and he wanted to nickel and dime everything. Finally told him I had to move on! I'm looking forward to your next project!

Tod I'm really impressed with the truss cieling in the second to last pic. Could you elaborate more on these. Did you design them? Are they structual? What type of material did you use on top of the trusses...looks kind of like a bead board. Beautiful work!!

Doug