Call for Ideas

Dave Richards

This is for those of you using SketchUp and desiring to become more proficient. It's also for those who haven't used it but want to. You have to help me so I can help you. Here's the deal. Give me some ideas of things you'd like to see done up as tutorials. Post them in this thread and I'll work on them as I have time.

I assume since I have moderator status I could make this a sticky. If I figure that out, I'll do it so this one stays at the top. Also, as I complete requested tutorials I'll edit your posts with a link to the thread containing the tutorial so that others can find it. How's that sound?

Last edited:
Stu, a hole in a pipe? As in drilled in from the side? Do you want it to go all the way through or just in to make a tee? a wye?

Threads? Do you want to actually see the threads or would indicating threads be enough?

This is for those of you using SketchUp and desiring to become more proficient. It's also for those who haven't used it but want to. You have to help me so I can help you. Here's the deal. Give me some ideas of things you'd like to see done up as tutorials. Post them in this thread and I'll work on them as I have time.

I assume since I have moderator status I could make this a sticky. If I figure that out, I'll do it so this one stays at the top. Also, as I complete requested tutorials I'll edit your posts with a link to the thread containing the tutorial so that others can find it. How's that sound?
This all sounds quite considerate.
Thank you Dave.

This is very elementary, but one thing that seems somewhat hit or miss for me is moving one object into a specific location next to another. For example, I'll draw two boxes, then if I try to put the two boxes adjacent to each other, sometimes I spend a couple of minutes getting the one I'm moving into the proper position. They'll look aligned on one axis, then I rotate and see the second box is a half mile down the road. I'm sure I'm missing something basic, and likely others are too.

Thanks for all your help, Dave.

See here for tutorial: http://familywoodworking.org/public_html/forums/showthread.php?t=585

Last edited by a moderator:
Sketchup...ya know I tryed that once upon a time and i was impressed but didn't really have the time to learn it. Now I think if David is going to be around I might reconsider it since I will be doing a little sheet work in cabinets to give ppl a look at what they will be getting. Gonna tutor Dave :D
Now I guess I will have to down load it via dial up :eek:
Reg

Reg, if you can find a friend with a fast connection, download the software on their computer and save it to a pen drive or other portable memory device. Those things are getting to be pretty cheap--probably less expensive than your time to download via dialup.

Reg, if you can find a friend with a fast connection, download the software on their computer and save it to a pen drive or other portable memory device. Those things are getting to be pretty cheap--probably less expensive than your time to download via dialup.

I think I have a memory stick, as i call it, and can down load it at work. It would only take a few min to transfer it to my pc. I have a very fast PC but I just don't see paying the high prices for the cable out here in the woods its pretty pricy with no comp.
Reg

I think I have a memory stick, as i call it, and can down load it at work. It would only take a few min to transfer it to my pc. I have a very fast PC but I just don't see paying the high prices for the cable out here in the woods its pretty pricy with no comp.
Reg

gimmie three phase over cable any day:D

OK I got the stick and got the prog loaded....I will diddle with it a few days and see what I can do with it first and then aske questions when I start cussing...:dunno:
Reg

the other tutorials???

dave i have the free version and they mention that there are other tutorials, but i could only find the three that are in the menu. then you selct more and it goes blank??/ is that just because its the free version and the not the whole program?

Hey David. I saw that you can demintion the sketchup drawings. Where is that??????? :D I am at work and don't have it in front of me but inquiring minds want to know
Reg

Hi Reg, sorry I didn't get back to you until today. I was busy last night on a large SU project for some folks in Maine.

So, in case you haven't figured out how to add dimensions to your SU model, here's the scoop. The Dimension tool is on the tool bar next to or close to the tape Measure tool. If you look at it closely you can see it looks like a dimension line with leaders and mine has the number 3.

Like this:

Dimension.jpg

Hi Dave no need to apologise to me for working :thumb: . I hate to inturupt someone doing slomwthing, besides I'm getting tuts here
Thanks and its hard for me to get uset to this time diff though
Reg