Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old Craftsman plane

old Craftsman plane

A friend of mine just bought a Craftsman #1 plane, still in mint condition in mint condition original box. Price tag was still on, 69 cents. He paid $2.00 and believes it is worth over $1000.00. What say the jury?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I'm not aware of a craftsman #1 plane. Ebay didn't turn up any results for one, either. Now if it's a Stanley #1 - that'd probaby go for a grand, no problem. I'm far from an expert, though.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    I'm not aware of a craftsman #1 plane. Ebay didn't turn up any results for one, either. Now if it's a Stanley #1 - that'd probaby go for a grand, no problem. I'm far from an expert, though.
    I would have to agree with what Jason said.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Hard to say, Craftsman didn't make their own planes, and it would depend on what type of plane it was. It might be rarer than a Stanley, seeing how few Stanley #1s were made, but that is more dependent on what the market will bear for that, which is in turn driven by collectors for the most part.

The problem is that even though Stanley did make planes for Craftsman, the Craftsman planes are worth less. So, go figure. I know that speaking for myself, I would rather have a plane that said Stanley vs. Craftsman given the exact same plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Got pics?
    I'll try to get some. My friend is a kinda cagy trader and sometimes won't reveal his stuff. He owns a large flea market/antiques mall and gets first dibbies on everything booth renters bring in. He paid $2.00 for the plane in question.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

OK, here is a picture. It is a Sears-Simpson Craftsman. I can't find any reference to #1 on it. According to my friend, the Simpson name was used up to about 1969. The plane was still wrapped in waxed paper and looks unused although some paint is missing from the side not shown. He believes it is a $1000.00 item. I don't know anything about the old plane market but my gut says more like $15.00 to $20.00.

I'll be interested to see if anyone has more info. I do not, but old tools do intrigue me.

Yeah, that's certainly not a #1 ... I'm unaware of any antique (and craftsman) block planes that go for $1000 anywhere. I think your friend's mistaken
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

i can`t think of anything carrying the craftsman logo that`s worth 500 bucks let alone a grand......especially their rebranded woodworking tools, that one looks to be a stanley #60 maybe late 60`s to early 70`s ......i wouldn`t give him 5 bucks for it, don`t need it or want it....
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    That didn't take long!