old Craftsman plane

Frank Fusco

A friend of mine just bought a Craftsman #1 plane, still in mint condition in mint condition original box. Price tag was still on, 69 cents. He paid $2.00 and believes it is worth over $1000.00. What say the jury?

I'm not aware of a craftsman #1 plane. Ebay didn't turn up any results for one, either. Now if it's a Stanley #1 - that'd probaby go for a grand, no problem. I'm far from an expert, though.

Hard to say, Craftsman didn't make their own planes, and it would depend on what type of plane it was. It might be rarer than a Stanley, seeing how few Stanley #1s were made, but that is more dependent on what the market will bear for that, which is in turn driven by collectors for the most part.

The problem is that even though Stanley did make planes for Craftsman, the Craftsman planes are worth less. So, go figure. I know that speaking for myself, I would rather have a plane that said Stanley vs. Craftsman given the exact same plane.

OK, here is a picture. It is a Sears-Simpson Craftsman. I can't find any reference to #1 on it. According to my friend, the Simpson name was used up to about 1969. The plane was still wrapped in waxed paper and looks unused although some paint is missing from the side not shown. He believes it is a $1000.00 item. I don't know anything about the old plane market but my gut says more like $15.00 to $20.00.

Attachments

• Sears plane.jpg
    Sears plane.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 57
Yeah, that's certainly not a #1 ... I'm unaware of any antique (and craftsman) block planes that go for $1000 anywhere. I think your friend's mistaken :)

i can`t think of anything carrying the craftsman logo that`s worth 500 bucks let alone a grand......especially their rebranded woodworking tools, that one looks to be a stanley #60 maybe late 60`s to early 70`s ......i wouldn`t give him 5 bucks for it, don`t need it or want it....

Thanks all. I think I'll 'forget' to tell him this. For once, my gut was right. He puts valuables in a chest for his daughter to open some day in the future. He is putting this treasure in there for her to get rich on someday.

It looks a lot like a Millers Falls 16cg but with a nickle cap. I think that MF made some planes for Sears. The 16cg was a govement contract model made from 1966- 1971. MF also made Block places with Nickel plated cam lever caps. MF 16cg mint might fetch 40-50 on the bay an a crazy day with box 70 tops. Most go for a round 20. $2 is good deal Heck I will offer him $4 for it:thumb:

Now if he were to line the the box with ten $100 bills then he migh just have a plane worth a grand.

BTW I have a 16cg and it is a good user. I like the adjuster and the lateral. The only problem is that is use a non standard registration method between the iron and the depth adjuster so replacment irons can be difficult to find.

Here is a link to some MF info scroll down for the 16cg.
http://www.oldtoolheaven.com/blok/blok01.htm

Last edited: