Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy from Reno!

Howdy from Reno!

Hello,

Im thinking of building a shop next year, and started thinking about the old 'Birth of a Shop' thread that I used to follow with a great deal of enthusiasm on another forum.

For some reason, I just did a google on "Marty Walsh" and I landed here, and lo and behold saw a bunch of familiar names.

I've gone through a move since last year, and in my new place have a very tiny garage that needs to be shared with a '46 chevy for my shop space.

I've finally got this small shop setup so I can do some stuff, but am looking forward to having some more room some day.

The good news is I have 68 acres and there are actually a couple of fairly flat spots I might be able to put a shop up on!

This looks like a great place to be, and I'm looking forward to catching up on the 'Birth of a Shop' !

Thanks!

Brent

Welcome to the family Brent!

We like pics, so when you get started, or even before you get started take lots of pics!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Hi Brent!

I'll take that nasty room munchin' '46 chevy off your hands. What are friends for?

DT

I'm afraid the '46 is a standard shop fixture, or has been for the last 10 years

My Wife's dad bought it brand new in 1946 from a dealer in Los Angeles. At some point in the mid 70's it kind of just got parked. Then the kid's got a hold of it. when I got it, the engine was in the trunk, cats were using it as a brothel of sorts, and let's put it gently, it just needed a little bit of tender lovin care.

At this point, I've torn it completely apart, got the running gear ready, put a motor in it and have it primered. If I could just get the pitman arm bushings (currently on order) , I could get the steering steering working and might be able to drive it around the driveway sitting on a milk crate!

Once I get the shop build, I'm planning on making it big enough to house all my various hobbies, including a temporary spray booth so I can finally complete this decades old project!

Since you asked for pictures, here you go!

Before
    Attachment 11395

Current (Really current, just ran outside and took this)
    Attachment 11394
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

That's going to be a nice ride when you get it finished.

Attachment 11396
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 09-13-2009 at 03:46 AM.

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    That brings back memories Brent. During my childhood, those were only "Used Cars." I was born in 47.

DT

To make matters worse, right now is 'Hot August Nights' in Reno.

People from all over the country bring their restored and rodd'ed vehicles here for a week long party of car shows, etc....

I've seen so many sweet looking rides....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

hi brent!
    another ol` car buff here.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I am not a car buff myself, but gosh darn it I like old tractors. In fact there are a lot of us on here that like the old iron (both woodworking tools and tractors). You came to the right place, pretty small in size but a great bunch of guys.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Welcome Brent
    Do you have trees on that 68 acres that can be sawed cut and quartered for woodworking? If so I am in need of free 67 acres of wood!

Not a car buff, but...........

But I like every thing old..........including me.

PS
    The coffee pot is on

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!