Howdy from Reno!

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Im thinking of building a shop next year, and started thinking about the old 'Birth of a Shop' thread that I used to follow with a great deal of enthusiasm on another forum.

For some reason, I just did a google on "Marty Walsh" and I landed here, and lo and behold saw a bunch of familiar names.

I've gone through a move since last year, and in my new place have a very tiny garage that needs to be shared with a '46 chevy for my shop space.

I've finally got this small shop setup so I can do some stuff, but am looking forward to having some more room some day.

The good news is I have 68 acres and there are actually a couple of fairly flat spots I might be able to put a shop up on!

This looks like a great place to be, and I'm looking forward to catching up on the 'Birth of a Shop' !

Thanks!

Brent

Hi Brent! :wave:

I'll take that nasty room munchin' '46 chevy off your hands. What are friends for? :rofl:

DT

I'm afraid the '46 is a standard shop fixture, or has been for the last 10 years :eek:

My Wife's dad bought it brand new in 1946 from a dealer in Los Angeles. At some point in the mid 70's it kind of just got parked. Then the kid's got a hold of it. when I got it, the engine was in the trunk, cats were using it as a brothel of sorts, and let's put it gently, it just needed a little bit of tender lovin care.

At this point, I've torn it completely apart, got the running gear ready, put a motor in it and have it primered. If I could just get the pitman arm bushings (currently on order) , I could get the steering steering working and might be able to drive it around the driveway sitting on a milk crate!

Once I get the shop build, I'm planning on making it big enough to house all my various hobbies, including a temporary spray booth so I can finally complete this decades old project!

Since you asked for pictures, here you go!

Before
chevy_brent_small.jpg

Current (Really current, just ran outside and took this)
current.jpg

That brings back memories Brent. During my childhood, those were only "Used Cars." I was born in 47.

DT

To make matters worse, right now is 'Hot August Nights' in Reno.

People from all over the country bring their restored and rodd'ed vehicles here for a week long party of car shows, etc....

I've seen so many sweet looking rides....

I am not a car buff myself, but gosh darn it I like old tractors. In fact there are a lot of us on here that like the old iron (both woodworking tools and tractors). You came to the right place, pretty small in size but a great bunch of guys.

Welcome Brent
Do you have trees on that 68 acres that can be sawed cut and quartered for woodworking? If so I am in need of free 67 acres of wood!

Not a car buff, but...........

But I like every thing old..........including me.
:rofl: :rofl:

PS
The coffee pot is on

Welcome Brent!

So, you 'googled' ME and landed here huh? :rolleyes:

Glad you found us. Now, make a BIG pot of coffee...or a large container of your favorite beverage, and prepare to get to reading! I left that other forum, but the birth continued. There isn't that much for you to read and catch up...just about 170 pages!!! :rofl:

Oh, and while you're sitting and reading, be sure to look into Larry's " well its gonna happen:) " thread...and Ned's "Barn Raising..." thread. Both of those guys have been taking up the slack since I'm all but done and haven't been posting for a while.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have. As you've noticed, several of us migrated here when we left SMC. There's quite a wealth of info at your finger tips!

Again, welcome...hope you enjoy this place as much as we do! :thumb:

- Marty -

Do you have trees on that 68 acres that can be sawed cut and quartered for woodworking? If so I am in need of free 67 acres of wood!

No trees, but lots of hills, rocks, sagebrush, rabbits, rattlers, lizards and other assorted wildlife!

Got my coffee, now on to the shops!