Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Grind on a bowl gouge.....

Traditional Grind on a bowl gouge.....

After seeing what Bernie had to say about the Traditional grind on a bowl gouge, I went and did a bit of reading up on it, in books (gasp!) and the net.

I then destroyed a lousy piece of Ginko wood I had roughed out some time ago!.

Attachment 11405 Attachment 11406 Attachment 11407
    Here is the tip, with my interpretation of a "Traditional Grind", the gouge is a 1/4" Hamlet.

Attachment 11408 Attachment 11409
    Here is how I hold it in use.

Attachment 11410
    I seem to get some fairly decent cuts from it, nice fine curlies!!

here is a cut I've done only halfway, the wood, the Ginko is REALLY soft and hard to get a nice clean cut, the rough part is where I've done a normal cut with a normal bowl gouge, that was nice and sharp, but on this soft stuff, it still cut poorly............

Attachment 11411
    ....the smooth part of the cut was accomplished with the traditionally ground bowl gouge, I think the difference is rather dramatic.

Attachment 11412
    Here is that section of the bowl with the cuts finished. I also spritzed the surface with water.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

OK the rest of this has little to do with the traditional grind bowl gouge, but with the fate of this crappy piece of wood I was trying to work....

Once I started to get thin, and I was doing the finishing cuts on the inside, spritzing the surface with water, the bowl began to crack

BIG cracks.....

Attachment 11413 Attachment 11414 Attachment 11415

I tried to fix it, I drilled a hole to stop the crack, then I filled it with instant coffee cystals and glued everything with CA glue.............

Attachment 11416 Attachment 11417 Attachment 11418 Attachment 11419

It then proceeded to crack in about ten other places

I turned the natural edge off as that was getting really warped and wobbling around then I just gave up and started to spin it as thin as I could, just for practice..........

Attachment 11420
    I did get a lot of practice and it was kind of fun turning it to the explosive point.....

In the end, I got some good practice, I learned a fair bit and I had some fun too. The wood was not worth the trouble of brining to a finish, but it provided me with a laugh and a giggle...........

Attachment 11421
    The right place for this one, no save here!

So if you have an extra bowl gouge kicking around, give this traditional grind a chance, you just might like it!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks for the info Stu. It looks like you should have saved the bowl and used it for a lampshade Are you serious about the coffee crystals? I haven't heard of that before.

Stu:
    Great post and good information about the gouge grind. I keep a bowl gouge at 60 for the same "inside bowl transition" purpose. Like you said, it really helps with final cuts on some of the more tear-out prone woods.

I really like the way you write your photo-tutorials, and appreciate your willingness to teach what you have learned - as well as to show your mishaps.

As I tell my kids - it's OK to make a mistake if you learn from it... not that it's ever happened to me, but...
    ----------------------------------
    -Steven
    My lathe is my therapist

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Lakes View Post
    Are you serious about the coffee crystals? I haven't heard of that before.
    Shawn.....If a bowl develops wide cracks I often use crushed instant coffee crystals to color clear epoxy and use epoxy to fill the crack. Others I know including Stu use instant coffee crystals and CA to fill cracks. The coffee crystals just give it a very dark brown color.

Thanks guys!

The coffee crystals soak in to the glue, giving it the dark color, and it does not then looks "so much" like "glue"

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

a silly question

Stu,
    why did you spritze the surface with water?
    Regards
    Alfredo

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Rodriguez Garcia View Post
    Stu,
    why did you spritze the surface with water?
    Regards
    Alfredo
    I needed a shower..........

The water on the surface of the wood, will make the wood swell a bit and stand up a bit more, this will make it easier to get nice smooth cuts.

Cheers!

PS, ain't no "Silly" questions, ask them all!
    William Arthur Ward

Gracias

Thanks Stu

Stu looks like you made a good save. A lot of times I save the sanding dust to mix with epoxy. That works pretty well. I also use the conventional grind and spritz with water on the final couple of cuts.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.