Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick, sick, sick

Unhappy Sick, sick, sick

It's a sickness I tell you. "If you're OCD and you know it wash your hands."

================================================== ================
    Woodshed #1 - Overloaded and colapsed.

Woodrack #2 behind Workshop #1

Workshop #2

Woodcart #2

Next to Workshop #1

The Breezeway

Front of Workshop #2

Front of Workshop #2 - pallets to hold previous owner's junk that is in the attic.

Woodshed #2

Front of Workshop #1 - I'm still organizing.

"RedNeckDeck" between arage and The Breezeway.

In the Garage

In the Garage

In the Garage

The Truck (Ford F250) 10MPG

Bed of The Truck showing results of Hunter-Gathering Activities.

Workshop #2

Woodrack #1 next to Workshop #1

WOW when is the last time you had your head out form under the lumber/material pile. It time to see the light.

Consolidate it all into one well organized storage area & gain some room you may even find you have room to really build something accept a mess.

Its either that or a bonfire.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Looks to me a big Bon Fire is in order... I , like you have amassed a great deal of materials that are not destined for a specific find but too good to dispose of (bad grammer) This week I have puckered up and tossed a load of small stock and pieces that I have adored for years. It is time you made your spouse happy and de-clutter yourself and the rest of the yard.

IMHO

Reminds me of what I said when I finally got me a decent shop.

It WOULD not become a storage room!

Thank you for reminding me why I said that.

Jeff
    Going to toss some stuff out now.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Its not a sickness, its just not good discipline.

Its hard, but if I have not used some scrap wood for 6 months or more, it gets burned. No ifs, and or buts. I just do not have room for scrap wood and I can't stand clutter. Its supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, not something that causes more grief.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

the theme from Sanford and Son came to mind
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk

Id have a noose around my neck in short order and Im not sure who would be at the other end of the rope, my wife or my neighbors.

I operate in the same mode as Travis. I buy lumber specifically for the project Im working on, scraps get burned.
    I do keep some odds & ends but not many.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    <snip>
    Consolidate it all into one well organized storage area & gain some room you may even find you have room to really build something accept a mess.

Its either that or a bonfire.
    It's on my list of things to do.
    Also winter is coming and we can't afford propane

I think you have some nice racks to work with there. You also have some nice lumber piled up. I think you will find though that if you can't readily find the wood, you have a tendency to use what you can get at, and that is not really conducive to good woodworking.

Now I say that, but freely admit that the way my shop is made, I cannot get to my wood all that well either, so I have a tendency to do this. I have some ideas on how to clean up my shop, and yet be organized too. I got this stupid home addition to do first, but soon I will get my shop straightened up.

I would really take a hard look at your lumber storage and lumber itself, and get to thinning down the pile. I think you could keep a lot of it, if you utilized the storage space you do have. Looks to me like a few good weekends of hard work and you could have spiffy looking place there...and some good lumber in efficient storage to boot.

Not trying to bash you in any way here, just trying to encourage you to get cleaned up a bit. If you do, I think you will find that being able to have a clean shop, and be able to put your hands on the board you want, when you want it, makes woodworking so much more fun.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    I think you have some nice racks to work with there. You also have some nice lumber piled up. I think you will find though that if you can't readily find the wood, you have a tendency to use what you can get at, and that is not really conducive to good woodworking.

Now I say that, but freely admit that the way my shop is made, I cannot get to my wood all that well either, so I have a tendency to do this. I have some ideas on how to clean up my shop, and yet be organized too. I got this stupid home addition to do first, but soon I will get my shop straightened up.

I would really take a hard look at your lumber storage and lumber itself, and get to thinning down the pile. I think you could keep a lot of it, if you utilized the storage space you do have. Looks to me like a few good weekends of hard work and you could have spiffy looking place there...and some good lumber in efficient storage to boot.

Not trying to bash you in any way here, just trying to encourage you to get cleaned up a bit. If you do, I think you will find that being able to have a clean shop, and be able to put your hands on the board you want, when you want it, makes woodworking so much more fun.

You are absolutly correct, Mr. Johnson.

I am thinking 6 in (15cm) shelves storing each piece on it's edge.

Any thoughts on this?