Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which mini to buy

which mini to buy

hello all

ok so i am looking for a variable speed mini-lathe to buy untill i can set up my full size jet in about 8 months . i just cant take waiting anymore and want to get turning so the question is which VARIABLE SPEED mini to buy ?

i have rheumatoid arthiritis so my hands dont work like everyone elses . this makes belt changing almost impossible by myself. is there such a critter out there with no belt ? or if not, one where i can leave the belt in one place most of the time ? i will be looking for the minilathe as well as a stand and also an extension bed . anyone have the magic answer for me or some good suggestions

thanks in advance joan

joan, the jet mini is pretty popular.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I agree with Tod. The Jet mini with electronic variable speed is a good lathe, requires no belt changing (just turn the dial), and has a bed extension and stand available.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Joan, I have a mini lathe which is belt change... no problem, I leave it on the top speed.

Provided you're not attempting out of balance pieces it shouldn't be a problem; needless to say everthing must be secure before attempting to start the lathe!
    Graham

oldsoke

Caveat: Whatever you do, always operate within your own expertise and competency. For your own health and safety you should not take action on any advice, expressed or implied, without verifying the validity any such advice.

I've enjoyed the Jet mini with the EVS. Although you can change belt positions for different speed ranges I haven't bothered and I've done everything from pens to 9" bowls to 36" spindles (with an extension). I've even done some fairly large out of round pieces though there were some hairy moments. Overall I'm very satisfied with it. Of course it has only whetted my appetite for a much bigger machine but that will be a future purchase. The EVS will definitely be on that bigger one though, I'm spoiled now.
    Here's some examples of my biggest blank so far:
    Attachment 11453

Attachment 11454
    Last edited by Brett Baldwin; 08-11-2007 at 08:37 PM. Reason: photos added

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Looke like a Totem Pole got hold of your shavin' kit there Brett?

DT

The pen turning forums are practically houses of worship for the Jet Mini VS. It's the standard by which all other minis are judged. Check around, prices vary greatly and some sales are real bargains.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I'll quintuple the recommendations for the Jet Mini VS. I don't have one but I have used one and have taught classes using it. It is a fine little machine. I personally have the belted version which I love but if you have dexterity problems go with the VS.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Just for clarification my mini lathe is an Axminster M330... looks just like the Jet minus the badge and vs ;-O

who needs vs on a mini lathe... the top speed is only 3250 rpm....
    Graham

oldsoke

Caveat: Whatever you do, always operate within your own expertise and competency. For your own health and safety you should not take action on any advice, expressed or implied, without verifying the validity any such advice.

the jet mini is an excellent machine but, perhaps the best mini is the general veriable speed maxi lathe by general. Either way, you won't go wrong.