Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You just have to love PEX

You just have to love PEX

I gotta say, PEX is the answer for anyone who hates plumbing.

I have never worked with the stuff before, but since that is what you use to lay down radiant floor heating, I had some left over. After thinking about using pvc pipe and all the bends, elbows, glue and whatnot I would need to finish up a wet wall in time for my drywall guy to come in, I decided to buy PEX fittings and do it with PEX.

What a great idea that was. It took longer to drill the holes and route the PEX tubing then it did to hook everything up. In fact it was like running electrical cable. Drill the holes, push the pipe in around the corners and bends, then push on some fittings and you are done. No leaks, no mess, no glue, no noxious fumes, nothing, just a nasty job done and over with.

I gotta say, when I plumb my shop for compressed air, its PEX that I am using. About the only bad thing I can say for it is that the cost of fittings can get high at 4 bucks a shot. At the same time no matter how you arrange PEX tubing, if its not hidden inside a wall, it just looks goofy. There is just no way to make it look nice and clean like copper or galvanized pipe.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Do you have a crimper or are you using the screw type fittings? I love the stuff as well, but have not heard if it is suitable for compressed air.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Porter View Post
    Do you have a crimper or are you using the screw type fittings? I love the stuff as well, but have not heard if it is suitable for compressed air.
    Neither, I used the slip on fittings...
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

A friend recently did his house with PEX. He and his wife plumbed the whole place in a matter of a few days. Great stuff - though I tease him about running a garden hose through the house!

Wes

I'm getting ready to try it in the next few weeks. All the new plumbing for my master bath will be PEX. A local hardware store rents the crimper for $5/day.

Travis,

If you noticed/recall, I used PEX when I did that little bit of plumbing in my shop. It sure is easy to work with!

I went ahead and bought the crimper, since everything I read said that is THE proper method of installation. Plus, the barbed/crimping fittings are WAY cheaper than the slip-fit ones. For example, a simple straight coupler in slip-fit runs about $5.00. That same fitting in barbed/crimping costs about $0.50 (less, since I bought in bulk). In less than twenty fittings, the crimper was paid for!

As for using it for compressed air, I'd suggest you do some research on the web before you finalize that decision. There are specialized PEX products for handling compressed air, but they're costly. Most manufacturers specifically state that their product is NOT for use for compressed air. I'm not saying not to do it, just read up and make an informed decision.

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

PEX is cool. As Marty says, for compressed air check to see that the fittings and tubing are rated for the pressure. The anesthesia machines I take care of are full of this kind of tubing and fittings that require no tools to disconnect the tubing. We're only running around 55 PSI in it though. I don't know about using it for higher pressure applications.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Question, can the PEX be used in conjunction with galvanized pipe? I ask as I have galvanized throughout my place and am in need of fixing a few small drips.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh View Post
    Travis,

As for using it for compressed air, I'd suggest you do some research on the web before you finalize that decision. There are specialized PEX products for handling compressed air, but they're costly.

- Marty -
    I think that you may be right about the expense. I found this site that sells a form of PEX called Excel PEX AL PEX that they say is suitable for compressed air systems. I have not priced it yet but being a combination of PEX and aluminum I would be willing to bet that it is not cheap to say the least. If I get time I would like to compare it to the cost of copper. In the meantime if anyone else gets the chance to compare the two it would be good information for a lot of us.

http://www.flexalpex.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Schaubhut View Post
    Question, can the PEX be used in conjunction with galvanized pipe? I ask as I have galvanized throughout my place and am in need of fixing a few small drips.
    Shaz
    They sell adapters to adapt pipe thread to Pex. I sweated a set of pipe-threaded fittings on when I cut off my old plumbing and put pipe plugs in them for now. One of my coworkers has had most of his house replumbed in Pex from galv. The only thing not done is an upstairs bath they plan to redo soon. When they do the plumber is going to come back and do that room in Pex.