Mac Users Question

randy street

I bought my wife an iMAC earlier this year. Its a very nice machine. What I'm looking for is the way to remove programs, something similar to Windows Add/Remove Programs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Randy

Is there a way to tell when it was installed? My 17 yr old downloaded some apps and now Safari locks up periodically. So, I'm really not sure what needs to be deleted.

In the Finder, click on Application and then step through until you get to the application you curious about. Right click and choose Show Info (or something like that. I had to run up to look at my iMac and run back down here to the PC.) You'll get some information about Created and Modified dates.

Oh, by the way, open System Preferences and click on Software Update. Let the computer find out what software updates are available and install them. It may be that a Safari update or a Security update will take care of the lockup problem. If you have an Administrator set up--which you should--you'll have to unlock the computer to load the updates. You might consider setting it up so only the administrator can install software.

Randy,

Just like what Dave said about dragging the Icon to the trash, will remove it. :thumb: Just be sure to empty the trash to finish the job.

One of the tricky things is that a program/app doesn't have to be installed in any particular folder for it to run. So your kid could have installed the app anywhere. It might take some time to find it, if you don't know what its called.

You can also get to the Software Update under the Apple Menu. If you haven't done any updates recently, this might fix the problem.

If you are still having problems with Safari locking up, you can run Apple's Disk Utility. It is found in the Utilities folder, in the Applications folder on your harddrive. Select your harddrive in the column on the left side of the window. Then click the Repair tab (it might say First Aid....its been a while since I have used this myself). You can run a repair from here. Also there should be a button that says "repair permissions". Its a good idea to run this every now and then.

I ran the Software update and Safari did have one out there. I'll see how it goes.

As for the Admin password, I do have that, but somebody else (not mentioning any names) told him what it was.

Thanks for the help.

Sean - I ran the "Disk Utility" and it fixed some things. We will see what happens from here.

Dave - I changed the password again and told LOML not to give it out (I'll see how that goes).

I also downloaded Firefox to have incase the lockup problems continue on Safari.

Thanks for all the help.

Randy,

If you are still having problems after that with Safari, here is something else you can try.

In Safari under the "Safari" menu there is an option for "Reset Safari". You could try this. It resets it back to the way it was originally.

A word of caution on this. I have never done this myself, but I believe that it will delete all of your Favorites in the process. So if you are considering this, you should back them up first.

Another Note.... Changing the Admin Password may or may not make a difference if you don't have seperate user accounts set up. Some programs don't require the Admin Password to install them, some do. It think it has to do with the level into the OS where it needs to be installed. If you set up an account for you son, you can set it so that he can't install anything.

Last edited:
Hi Randy,
In the upper right hand corner of your desktop is a blue dot with a magnifying glass on it. That is "Spotlight." It is the search feature for Mac OS X. If you are looking for that program or anything else, this feature "REALLY" works.

DT

Hi Randy,
In the upper right hand corner of your desktop is a blue dot with a magnifying glass on it. That is "Spotlight." It is the search feature for Mac OS X. If you are looking for that program or anything else, this feature "REALLY" works.

DT

I second Don's comment on Spotlight. It works suprisingly well. :rolleyes:

Last edited: