Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell Lathe

Rockwell Lathe

SIL wants me to go to a auction with him next Saturday Aug. 18. Sale has a Rockwell lathe listed on it that is advertised with a 33" swing. No model number or anything and am trying to find out if this is the true swing or a misprint?
    Anyone know anything about a Rockwell lathe that had this large of swing?
    Any help would be wonderful.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Hi Steve,
    Don't really know the bed length. Auction phone number is "leave a message" type of thing. After leaving them a message on the model number, have not heard back????? Maybe tells me that they do not really know either.
    Will let all know after Saturday.
    Thanks
    Chuck

Chuck if you do go to the auction stick a tape measure in your pocket. Measure from the bed to the spindle and double that for the swing of the lathe. If it is six then a 12" swing.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

My guess is a Typo.... 33" bed and a 12-14" swing is all I ever heard of Even a Giant among Lathes would be dwarfed at a 33" swing.

Buy it and POST A PICTURE.... Especially of you sitting on the bed.

Bowl lathe???

It is a husband and wife team of auctioneers. He is real straight and she will stop a auction to insult a bidder that wants to start something to low. Yes will have my tape measure hanging on my pocket to make sure that it is what they say. If it is a 33"swing then that would mean 16.5" from center of drive. Sounds pretty far fetched to me for a hobby wood worker. Then maybe I can insult her. Below is a copy of the wood working tools. By the way SIL is a fabulous craftsman (Grandfather tought) but has not gotten into turning and is so gunhoe about it.
    Thanks all,
    Chuck

WOODWORNING TOOLS & MISC. Craftsman IO" table saw wlextensions, on stand; Rockwell wood lathe, 33" swing; Craftsman 12" band saw on stand; Craftsman 10" radial arm saw on stand; Craftsman oscillating spindle sander; Craftsman router, stand & bits; Craftsman double bench grinder; metal work bench w/vise; 16 gal. shop vac; wood clamps; portable air compressor; electric & hand & garden tools; log chains; wheelbarrow; 0-28 Stihl chain saw; several plastic drums w/lids; deer decoy; show box; several 4x4s; 20 ft. aluminum extension ladder; 8 ft. truck topper & other misc. items. Terms: Cash or check with proper ID.

Sorry thought that I was highlighting it.

WOODWORNING TOOLS & MISC. Craftsman IO" table saw wlextensions, on stand; Rockwell wood lathe, 33" swing; Craftsman 12" band saw on stand; Craftsman 10" radial arm saw on stand; Craftsman oscillating spindle sander; Craftsman router, stand & bits; Craftsman double bench grinder; metal work bench w/vise; 16 gal. shop vac; wood clamps; portable air compressor; electric & hand & garden tools; log chains; wheelbarrow; 0-28 Stihl chain saw; several plastic drums w/lids; deer decoy; show box; several 4x4s; 20 ft. aluminum extension ladder; 8 ft. truck topper & other misc. items. Terms: Cash or check with proper ID.

If he is going to get a lathe to start turning he might want to look at the bandsaw. If it is a newer craftsman they have been getting some pretty good reviews and might be worth the money if it goes cheap enough.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'll bet it is 16" over the gap in the bed, which could be considered a 32" swing.

Might be like this one..........

Series 46-450 <-link

If so, and the price is right, that could make one heck of a good lathe, just add a VFD to it and boy you would be rocking!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Could very well be Stu. I talked to the daughter and SIL this evening and made a appointment to meet with them on Wed morning at the site of the sale where I can take a look at the lathe and at least get a model #. Will take camera and let you all know. She did state that he was very much into turning and made a lot of fabulious things. She also stated that it was very large and thought that he had 3 phase. We shall see and will let you all know.
    Thanks,
    Chuck