Rockwell Lathe

Chuck Hanger

SIL wants me to go to a auction with him next Saturday Aug. 18. Sale has a Rockwell lathe listed on it that is advertised with a 33" swing. No model number or anything and am trying to find out if this is the true swing or a misprint?
Anyone know anything about a Rockwell lathe that had this large of swing?
Any help would be wonderful.
Thanks,
Chuck

Hi Steve,
Don't really know the bed length. Auction phone number is "leave a message" type of thing. After leaving them a message on the model number, have not heard back????? Maybe tells me that they do not really know either.
Will let all know after Saturday.
Thanks
Chuck

Chuck if you do go to the auction stick a tape measure in your pocket. Measure from the bed to the spindle and double that for the swing of the lathe. If it is six then a 12" swing.

My guess is a Typo.... 33" bed and a 12-14" swing is all I ever heard of Even a Giant among Lathes would be dwarfed at a 33" swing.

Buy it and POST A PICTURE.... Especially of you sitting on the bed.

It is a husband and wife team of auctioneers. He is real straight and she will stop a auction to insult a bidder that wants to start something to low. Yes will have my tape measure hanging on my pocket to make sure that it is what they say. If it is a 33"swing then that would mean 16.5" from center of drive. Sounds pretty far fetched to me for a hobby wood worker. Then maybe I can insult her. Below is a copy of the wood working tools. By the way SIL is a fabulous craftsman (Grandfather tought) but has not gotten into turning and is so gunhoe about it.
Thanks all,
Chuck

WOODWORNING TOOLS & MISC. Craftsman IO" table saw wlextensions, on stand; Rockwell wood lathe, 33" swing; Craftsman 12" band saw on stand; Craftsman 10" radial arm saw on stand; Craftsman oscillating spindle sander; Craftsman router, stand & bits; Craftsman double bench grinder; metal work bench w/vise; 16 gal. shop vac; wood clamps; portable air compressor; electric & hand & garden tools; log chains; wheelbarrow; 0-28 Stihl chain saw; several plastic drums w/lids; deer decoy; show box; several 4x4s; 20 ft. aluminum extension ladder; 8 ft. truck topper & other misc. items. Terms: Cash or check with proper ID.

Sorry thought that I was highlighting it.

WOODWORNING TOOLS & MISC. Craftsman IO" table saw wlextensions, on stand; Rockwell wood lathe, 33" swing; Craftsman 12" band saw on stand; Craftsman 10" radial arm saw on stand; Craftsman oscillating spindle sander; Craftsman router, stand & bits; Craftsman double bench grinder; metal work bench w/vise; 16 gal. shop vac; wood clamps; portable air compressor; electric & hand & garden tools; log chains; wheelbarrow; 0-28 Stihl chain saw; several plastic drums w/lids; deer decoy; show box; several 4x4s; 20 ft. aluminum extension ladder; 8 ft. truck topper & other misc. items. Terms: Cash or check with proper ID.

If he is going to get a lathe to start turning he might want to look at the bandsaw. If it is a newer craftsman they have been getting some pretty good reviews and might be worth the money if it goes cheap enough.

I'll bet it is 16" over the gap in the bed, which could be considered a 32" swing.

Might be like this one..........

Series 46-450 <-link

If so, and the price is right, that could make one heck of a good lathe, just add a VFD to it and boy you would be rocking! :D

Cheers!

Could very well be Stu. I talked to the daughter and SIL this evening and made a appointment to meet with them on Wed morning at the site of the sale where I can take a look at the lathe and at least get a model #. Will take camera and let you all know. She did state that he was very much into turning and made a lot of fabulious things. She also stated that it was very large and thought that he had 3 phase. We shall see and will let you all know.
Thanks,
Chuck

Wow what a misleading ad!

OK, made arrangements to go to the sale site and take a look at this lathe. Looks like to me that it has a 11” swing. ½ HP motor. Totally intact with the original factory stand and motor mount. Runs smooth as can be with absolutely no vibration on high speed. Comes with a box of accessories including a 8 piece set of turning tools (no nova chuck though). Series # it 46-111 with a serial # of FC-3343. SIL loved it for his starter. Band saw (12” craftsman) was not close enough to electric to try, but looked to be well taken care of and had a very sharp blade on it as well as a dust collection port.
Really need you folks help in guiding SIL on what the value of these items are worth???
Thanks for any help that you can give.
Chuck

Attachments

• Lathe 01 (576 x 432).jpg
    Lathe 01 (576 x 432).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 47
  • Lathe 02 (576 x 432).jpg
    Lathe 02 (576 x 432).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Bandsaw 01 (576 x 432).jpg
    Bandsaw 01 (576 x 432).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Bandsaw 02 (576 x 432).jpg
    Bandsaw 02 (576 x 432).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 25
off the top of my head chuck i`d say 200-250 for the lathe-n-accys and 50-75 bucks for the bandsaw providing it runs well.
tod

Chuck,
The lathe is a Delta model 46-111 14/11" Gap Bed Lathe, 1972 vintage. 14" in the gap, 11" over the main bed. The stand is not original. the old ones, late 50's to late 60's had the cast iron legs. At some point, I don't know exactly when, like everything, they went to a sheet metal stand. The lathe could be bought in pieces, the lathe, the base, the motor etc. The lathe originally was $139 for just the lathe in 1972. The lathe and stand was $199 and you could get a 1/2 hp motor for $65.
It would have originally looked like this with the original base:
Image1.jpg

here's a link to the 1973 catalog http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Delta/1973-stationary.pdf

It's a decent lathe, though it will need a much better stand if you want to turn anything out of round. The 14" dia is a bit misleading as the gap is not very big and when you put a faceplate on it you'll only turn a platter 14" or a very shallow bowel.

The value is what you want to pay for it and what your local market is. I picked up 1959 locally here with a bunch of accessories and a scroll chuck for $200.00. ok, I'll admit it, I bought it so I could steal the legs off it and put them on my 1460 that didn't have a base:D:D:D

1460a.jpg

Chuck,
I don't think I'd put it in the same category as a Rikon. This is a full size lathe, coupled with a decent base and a good motor you'll have much more lathe than a rikon both in capacity and power. With a decent motor and pulley set up they are decent, with 3ph motor and a VFD they are very capable lathes. I have a jet mini (much like your rikon), Delta model 1460 (12") and the 46-111. I'd never try and spin some of the stuff on the mini that I do on 1460 or 46-111.

Mike

Thanks all

Thanks for the information Mike..

As for a link to the ad it was published in our little local paper, but here is a copy of it.
Thanks again,
Chuck

FALER ESTATE PUBLIC AUCTION BY 13ARTIUUERS'AUCTION SERVICE Due to the death of our father, Harold Faler, we will sell the following at 16864 St. Rt. 274, located west of Jackson Center, Ohio, and east of 1-75 on St. Rt. 274 SATURDAY, AUGUST 18, 2007 0 10:30 A.M. ANTIQUES & COLLECTIBLES 6 ft. glass show case; Duncan Phyfe drop leaf table, 4 chairs & 4 leaves; chrome dinette w/4 chairs; oak wash stand wltowel bar; round marble top stand; wood youth bed; sq. oak twisted leg stand; grapevine stand; fern stand; blue trim "Ship" design wall mirror; Philco floor model radio; Stewart Warner table top tube radio; 3 McCoy jardinieres; 6 wooden shoes; cast miniature stove & scales; Favorite gypsy pot; box coffee grinder; flat irons - 3 miniatures & 3 Wapak & others; miniature wringer washer & No. 12 cream separator; cherry seeder; butter mold; hanging oil lamp w/reflector & others; Aladdin electric lamp wlchimes; kraut cutter; brass bucket; jardiniere wlbase; New Haven steeple clock w/chimes; arch clock W/Chimes; iron floor lamp; sewing rocker; cedar chest; 2 gal. "Blue Crown' tea jug; JD signs; cross cut & buck saws; furrowing plow, butchering kettle w/spider; sausage grinder; horse-drawn sleigh & other items. HOUSEHOLD GOODS & MISC. Frigidaire 30" electric range; GE 2-door refrigerator; Whirlpool automatic washer; Arnana electric dryer; older GE refrigerator; round table w/4 arrow back chairs, one leaf, sq. wood table w/4 chairs; modern dry sink cupboard; double bookcase w/drop front writing desk; 2 - 3 cushion sofas; glide rocker; recliner & other occasional chairs; 2 pc. king size bedroom suite; king size bed complete; RCA 26' remote TV, Wurlitzer I electric organ & bench; 2 sets end & coffee tables; cabinet sewing machine; modern roll top desk; Mcidusk floor safe; 4 bar stools; floor & table lamps; bedding & linen; folding sewing cabinet; wood spool cabinet; lots of floral & craft items; very nice handmade small & large sleighs; lg. Christmas tree & decorations; handmade outdoor Nativity Scene w/budding. Toys: JD wagon & plow, Tonka dozer, dump truck & scraper; remote JD tractor; JD, Farmall & MM tractors; 8-horse hitch beer wagon; miniature steam engine workable; covered wagon; miniature can; 19 decorative ducks; approx. 20 Longaberger baskets 1994-2001 w/protectors & liners; cement lawn decorations including deer; 5 pc. wrought iron patio furniture & other usable items. JD GATOR & LAWN MONVER 1999 JD 4x2 Gator; 2000 425 riding mower, hydrostatic, 54" cut; JD 38" lawn sweeper; 40" lawn roller; pull lawn sprayer. WOODWORNING TOOLS & MISC. Craftsman IO" table saw wlextensions, on stand; Rockwell wood lathe, 33" swing; Craftsman 12" band saw on stand; Craftsman 10" radial arm saw on stand; Craftsman oscillating spindle sander; Craftsman router, stand & bits; Craftsman double bench grinder; metal work bench w/vise; 16 gal. shop vac; wood clamps; portable air compressor; electric & hand & garden tools; log chains; wheelbarrow; 0-28 Stihl chain saw; several plastic drums w/lids; deer decoy; show box; several 4x4s; 20 ft. aluminum extension ladder; 8 ft. truck topper & other misc. items. Terms: Cash or check with proper ID. FALER FAMILY TRUST, ONVNERS AUCFIONEERS BOB, RUBY & MIKE BAKFHAUER DBA BARTHAUERS'AUCNON SERVICE 937-585-6571 OR 937-585-5447 Serving all your auction needs since 1961. Owner, Auctioneers & Staff personally invite you to rll_c" brinlr vour lawn chairs 2nd snend thf! d2v with uq.