Little Workbench Gloat!

Ed Nelson

I just got back from the DC area where my Uncle lives. They are moving and will no longer have room for this workbench, and since my cousin is not interested in it, it was offered to me! This bench was my Great Grandfathers. As I understand it, he was involved with the school board and we think this may have been out of one of the schools. He acquired the bench sometime in the late '20's, so we figure the bench was probably build in the teens. The vise is very interesting. It is a cam action vise instead of a screw action, which makes it a very nice quick action vise!

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

Looks good. What in the hey is that great big keyhole for in the bench top? Looks too big for a holdfast.

Gonna put it to work, or are you going to use it as furniture (a memento)?
And are you going to leave it weathered, or strip the top down to clean wood?

The keyhole is for a pop-up bench dog for planing against. I have the dog, but it needs a good cleaning since it is pretty rusted. Might have to try electrolysis on this one! I haven't decided whether to clean it up or not. I will probably give it a light cleaning. It will be a user!

That is so cool. You could go for a full restoral or just scrape the top and let it carry on. Either way that is a classic.

That's neat Ed. That is an interesting vise too, and I knew a couple of men that had one of them when I was a kid, and I've used both of them and really liked them for their quick action. I tried several times to talk one of them into selling me their vise, but no go, then I grew up and moved away and lost track of them. I don't remember who made them, (and I might not have ever known). Do you know who made that vise? Teriffic Score, so good luck with the restoration, I think both the table and vise deserve it.

What a beautiful old bench. I've seen a bench recently with 2 vises like yours on it, seems it was possibly Shapely or similar.

That's a great bench, you lucky dog you! And to get it from the family, even more special.

That is great, I'd do a good restore, especially on the vice etc, a good soak in the electrolysis would yield good results with a new paint job!

Yep, that is a great gloat!

Ed Nelson;53359It will be a user![/QUOTE said:
ed, i`m sure your great grandpaw would be proud! i`m in the use old tools camp too. please share pics once you`ve got shavings-n-sawdust all over it.
tod

Thanks guys! I'll see if I can find a name on the vise. We are looking at the possibility of moving in a couple months if everything works out right. I probably won't be able to do much with it until after the move!

Hi Ed, :wave:
Great pictures of a great piece. That bench is a classic. It is truly a work of furniture art and i would be cautious wiping or sanding away any of the character that makes it so choice! Reminds me of "Fraiser" when he through away his father"s chair"!:eek: " I watched Joe DiMaggio hit his last home run from that chair, and your mother, God rest her soul......."
I hope where you move you will be able to "reproduce" a new bench for your personal woodworking needs. Then find a special place in the home for appreciating the lifetimes of labor it took to get all those dings, the scuffs, the paint and the blood which cover the table in a way no skilled artist could ever paint..
That's what I think.:D
Shaz
Thanks for sharing Ed.:)

Electrolysis!

Thanks Shaz, but it is still a tool and I'll bet it has another 100 years left of use left in it!:D Don't worry, It will retain its character!

The pop-up bench dog was extremely rusted and it wouldn't move without a good whack from a mallet. So, after seeing all the success everyone else has had, I decided to try electrolysis! Had everything set up after reviewing some of the other posts here, but I found out my battery charger is one of the newer ones and wouldn't work. I got to thinking what I might be able to use and came up with a charger for a laptop. It indicated about a 5amp output. It worked, but I'm not sure I'll continue using it or not. Anyway, here's some pics! (sorry, I forgot to get a "before" pic)

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_01582.JPG

IMG_01591.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

Ed,

5 amps should be fine. Most people run between 5-10 amps, I have a 10 amp setting on my charge I use, but have tried the 200 amp setting and don't notice much difference.

It works well.