How about a dovetail box

Bob Noles

This one was only my 2nd real box. Made using the Gifkins box makers dovetail jig from Australia. It can make you look good right out of the box :thumb:

Made from walnut and Abrosia birdseye maple. About 3X5 in size and maybe 3 1/2 inches deep. Real measurements are unavailable due to my wife taking it away as soon as it was finished and won't give it back :)

Thanks again for looking.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 91
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 40
More cool stuff, Bob. Real nice job. I went and looked up the Gifkins jig. Don't think I'd seen that one before.

And sorry for calling you Corey earlier. I don't know which of you two should be more insulted by that. :rofl:

Last edited:
Cool jig...Corey errr...I mean BOB. (Vaughn is getting old er...forgive him):D

I never heard of it either.

Hey Bob, good to see you posting here. :wave: Looks like you've gone box crazy. What are you going to put in all them boxes?

Well, I did talk him into buying the Gifkin Jig :) That's actually a design by Roger Gifkin an Australian box making great.

corey

Dovetail Bob does it again. Great job Bob!!!! That is a really beautiful piece.

I remember a long while back that you were using a Porter Cable jig. What happened? Sounds like Corey had something to do with it.

PS Wow! I just looked at the prices and it is not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys. The Gifkins jig is an awesome tool and can even make a complete amateur like myself look good.

Now Vaughn, just keep in mind that I don't get mad, but I can get even so watch the name calling please :rofl:

Allen.... Corey has taken me under his wing in this box making venture and talked me into the Gifkins. Being that my interest is in smaller projects and a need for space in my small shop, the PC jig and many other items had to go and I re-tooled a lot of my shop around my current needs.

I've made a couple of similar boxes myself; one about umpty years ago for Mrs R. and one just the other week for my cute neice.

The older, larger one has East Indian Rosewood cheeks with spalted maple for the lid and plainer quilted maple front/back/floor. The newer one has Wenge cheeks, a birdseye maple lide and rather nice tiger maple front/back and a cherry floor. Both were well received by the owners.

Attachments

• MapleBoxes.jpg
    MapleBoxes.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 16