Cherry Vase - Burl, or Knot?

Bill Grumbine

Greetings all

When I am not doing other things, I actually get some time in the shop to do some turning. A couple of Saturdays ago, I was given opportunity to harvest a very ugly cherry tree stump that was growing in the yard next to my in-laws home. I gained the assistance of my good friend Dominic Greco, and we chopped it down, and then chopped it up. It promised to have some nice looking wood in it. Below is the first fruits of my share.

cherryvase01.jpg

This vase is approximately 8" in diameter, and 7 1/2" high. The tree was removed from the ground (i.e. still growing) on Saturday. I turned this piece the following Tuesday, making it on the thin side of 1/4". I did a little sanding, but it was so wet that the paper kept clogging, so I let it dry, and then sanded it off the lathe. The figure caused quite a bit of rippling, but I was able to get it pretty smooth. Some of the inclusions caused it to kink just a bit as it dried, giving it an offset kind of look depending on how it is oriented. :D

It is finished with Bush Oil and buffed on a Beall wheel.

Thanks for taking a peek.

That's beautiful Bill. Gorgeous hunk of wood very well shaped.

I'm still struggling with the wet vs dry issue, the wet ones seem to dry or crack way out of proportion on me. But I'll keep at it and maybe eventually get it!

Tony

Man - if you spinny people don't stop posting this kind of stuff I'm gonna - I'm gonna - well I don't know what I'm gonna do but it might involve spontaneous combustion!

Nice work Bill.

Stunning.....Bill.......Execution, wood and finish....Stunning....

Ian.....There's a way you can get the same feeling as we get turning......Take a baseball bat or a short broomstick ....place one end on the ground...put your forehead on the other end of same........now rotate your body around said stick or bat in either direction as fast as you can for at least 25 revolutions......Enjoy!:D

Bill, if you have any more of that ugly ol' wood that you need hauled off, you just let me know. :D

Great vase, and stunning wood you found it in. :thumb:

Thanks everyone! Tony, the key is to get it thin, thin being defined as 1/4" wall thickness or less. Every little bit over 1/4" increases the chances of cracking. Once you hit that magic thickness, the chances of cracking are greatly reduced to the point where it is almost a given that the piece won't crack. There are, of course, exceptions. It will still warp, but who cares on a piece like this? It's not like it has to get glued to something! :eek: