When I am not doing other things, I actually get some time in the shop to do some turning. A couple of Saturdays ago, I was given opportunity to harvest a very ugly cherry tree stump that was growing in the yard next to my in-laws home. I gained the assistance of my good friend Dominic Greco, and we chopped it down, and then chopped it up. It promised to have some nice looking wood in it. Below is the first fruits of my share.
This vase is approximately 8" in diameter, and 7 1/2" high. The tree was removed from the ground (i.e. still growing) on Saturday. I turned this piece the following Tuesday, making it on the thin side of 1/4". I did a little sanding, but it was so wet that the paper kept clogging, so I let it dry, and then sanded it off the lathe. The figure caused quite a bit of rippling, but I was able to get it pretty smooth. Some of the inclusions caused it to kink just a bit as it dried, giving it an offset kind of look depending on how it is oriented.
It is finished with Bush Oil and buffed on a Beall wheel.
Thanks for taking a peek.