My first "real" turning attempt in progress

Hey, that looks like one of my bowls!

Have fun with it. Looks like you have a pretty nice lathe there. A word to the wise...get and wear a face shield if you don't have one yet. First bowl I tried exploded and if I didn't have a face shield I'd have had a nice shiner at best!

John looks to me like you have a nice start on a bowl. Like you said everyone has to start somewhere. I would keep your first bowl and 1. 2 or 3 yrs. down the road compare them. You will be amazed. Nice job.

Talk about a stealth slip into the Vortex! We all should have noticed the little rumble in the force a few weeks ago.
yoda1.gif
You've been keeping secrets from us, John. ;) Welcome to the Abyss. That little bowl should look nice when you're all done with it. It already looks better than my first one.

John, just make the bowl a little shallower than you planned! It looks like it has nice form, and if you can turn it around to work on the tenon a little, it might turn out just fine. Never say die!

Nancy (125 days)

John......Don't be too upset with yourself or this project. You'll find like the rest of us.....it's a learned talent and in my 18 months of turning, if I"m not learning turning daily.....I'm in the hospital under the influence of anesthesia! Keep at it!