Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, what the heck happened to my planer and what do I do now?

Okay, what the heck happened to my planer and what do I do now?

I've got a Dewalt DW680 portable power planer. I've been using it to flatten out some root ball slabs. All of the sudden, it stated running at something like half-speed. When I squeeze the trigger, it still runs and it will still plane even but nowhere near the normal speed.

Can anyone tell me what happened?

Is it broke and I need a new one?

Or did it just get too hot and it will magically heal itself and all will be well in an hour or two?

I need to know what I need to do pretty quickly 'cause these slabs are starting to crack/split already and I need to get them flattened, coated and stickered. BTW, these are 24" to 28" wide so they won't quite fit in my DW735.

Thanks very much for any advice/info you can throw my way.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Mark,

Does it run hotter than before? Could it be clogged up with chips/dust for some reason? How old is it? Ever changed the brushes (if equipped)?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Mark,

Does it run hotter than before? Could it be clogged up with chips/dust for some reason? How old is it? Ever changed the brushes (if equipped)?

Not noticeably hotter.

I've been keeping it blown out with an air hose and it has stayed free of clogging.

It's 7 or 8 years old but only has maybe 7 or 8 hours of run time on it.

Brushes have at least 3/4 material left.

p.s. I just went and checked it and ran it for a bit and, even though it's still running at the same half speed, I noticed a little bit of smoke leaking out.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 08-14-2007 at 12:34 AM.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Something binding? Take it apart, clean and see if you can get it back together without extra parts left over.....

Could it be gummed up with sap or something from working with the wet wood?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Is there a belt on it? Could that be slipping? It's usually a bad thing when you let the smoke out of a tool. I hope that not the case for yours.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The belt is easily accessible by taking off a side cover. It's in good shape. When I turn it by hand, it turns freely with no resistance.The inside of the planer is in good condition, nothing visibly wrong. Everything looks good. The only thing that says that something is wrong is that when I pull the trigger it only goes slow.

I don't know much about electric motors except that if you have power all the way to the motor it should run. I don't know what would be wrong or how a motor could just all of the sudden run at a slow speed. Can one side/half of an armature go out?

Hmmmmmmmmm............
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

Mark,

Have you tried running it without the belt on to see if it goes to full speed?

What kind of switch does it have? Single ON/OFF...or maybe a ON/HI/LOW/OFF that is stuck? Do you have the manual?

Mark,

By the time I saw this post, most of the stuff I was thinking of has been mentioned. However I did have one other thought.

Take the belt off, and check to make sure that either one of the pullies aren't slipping. I know on some tools the pullies are held on with a allen set screw. It could have loosened up causing the pully to slip.

I just looked at it on DeWalt's site, and it doesn't seem to be a variable speed, so that should impact it.

Generally once you let the magic smoke out of a tool, you can never put it back in.....
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Mark,

Have you tried running it without the belt on to see if it goes to full speed?

What kind of switch does it have? Single ON/OFF...or maybe a ON/HI/LOW/OFF that is stuck? Do you have the manual?

No Greg, but I will.

It just has a simple, single On/Off switch.

Sean, I'll look and see if one of the pully's is slipping. However, when I manipulate the belt the pullys both turn in unison as well as when I operate the planer under power on wood with the belt cover off; both pulleys turn and I can take wood off but it just removes the wood real slow.

I think I broke it.........Dangit!
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.