Okay, what the heck happened to my planer and what do I do now?

Mark Rios

I've got a Dewalt DW680 portable power planer. I've been using it to flatten out some root ball slabs. All of the sudden, it stated running at something like half-speed. When I squeeze the trigger, it still runs and it will still plane even but nowhere near the normal speed.

Can anyone tell me what happened?

Is it broke and I need a new one?

Or did it just get too hot and it will magically heal itself and all will be well in an hour or two? :D

I need to know what I need to do pretty quickly 'cause these slabs are starting to crack/split already and I need to get them flattened, coated and stickered. BTW, these are 24" to 28" wide so they won't quite fit in my DW735.:D

Thanks very much for any advice/info you can throw my way.

Mark,

Does it run hotter than before? Could it be clogged up with chips/dust for some reason? How old is it? Ever changed the brushes (if equipped)?

:huh::dunno:

Not noticeably hotter.

I've been keeping it blown out with an air hose and it has stayed free of clogging.

It's 7 or 8 years old but only has maybe 7 or 8 hours of run time on it.

Brushes have at least 3/4 material left.

p.s. I just went and checked it and ran it for a bit and, even though it's still running at the same half speed, I noticed a little bit of smoke leaking out. :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Is there a belt on it? Could that be slipping? It's usually a bad thing when you let the smoke out of a tool. I hope that not the case for yours.

The belt is easily accessible by taking off a side cover. It's in good shape. When I turn it by hand, it turns freely with no resistance.The inside of the planer is in good condition, nothing visibly wrong. Everything looks good. The only thing that says that something is wrong is that when I pull the trigger it only goes slow.

I don't know much about electric motors except that if you have power all the way to the motor it should run. I don't know what would be wrong or how a motor could just all of the sudden run at a slow speed. Can one side/half of an armature go out?

Hmmmmmmmmm............

Mark,

Have you tried running it without the belt on to see if it goes to full speed?

What kind of switch does it have? Single ON/OFF...or maybe a ON/HI/LOW/OFF that is stuck? Do you have the manual?

Mark,

By the time I saw this post, most of the stuff I was thinking of has been mentioned. However I did have one other thought.

Take the belt off, and check to make sure that either one of the pullies aren't slipping. I know on some tools the pullies are held on with a allen set screw. It could have loosened up causing the pully to slip.

I just looked at it on DeWalt's site, and it doesn't seem to be a variable speed, so that should impact it. :huh:

Generally once you let the magic smoke out of a tool, you can never put it back in.....:dunno:

Mark,

Have you tried running it without the belt on to see if it goes to full speed?

What kind of switch does it have? Single ON/OFF...or maybe a ON/HI/LOW/OFF that is stuck? Do you have the manual?

No Greg, but I will.

It just has a simple, single On/Off switch.

Sean, I'll look and see if one of the pully's is slipping. However, when I manipulate the belt the pullys both turn in unison as well as when I operate the planer under power on wood with the belt cover off; both pulleys turn and I can take wood off but it just removes the wood real slow.

I think I broke it.........Dangit!

Smoke isn't good, but I think from that you can deduce your problem.

There is three kinds of smoke, and three kinds of smoke smells...figuring out that can tell you what your problem is.

If the smoke has a real rubber-burning smell, like an old electric car slot racing smell, then its electrical wires burning. You smoked a motor or at least got the wires very, very hot. This is not likely as it most of the time an electric motor either works, or doesn't. Sometimes you can jump start them by tugging on a pulley, but I have yet to see one run half speed because of an electrical issue.

The burned smell is different. The smoke is whitish in color and far more faint. Maybe just a wisp of smell in the air...not much. That is a bearing that is seized up. What you are smelling is the grease and oil inside the bearing heating up and burning off. This would definitely give you the slow speed you are seeing as the bad bearing is robbing your machine of its power. Still if everything is rotating easy. That isn't your problem obviously.

The third smell is wood burning and it smells very accute. Just a hint of burning and you should smell it very quickly and very easily. That would be your cutting edged getting so dull that it burns the wood. I kind of suspect maybe this is your problem. You said you were planing root balls which inheriently are loaded with dirt and minerals...they should that is how it gets the nutrients from the soil and into the trunk of the tree and up to the crown. I am thinking your knives are dull and are having a hard time planing the multi-directional grain from the root ball. The smoke may also be coming from the belt that is trying to push your wood across those dull knives. Incidentally, even if you have brand new knives on your planer, it would not take long to dull them on root balls in my opinion. In a free spin situation, like where you opened the cabinet and checked, you would see everything as spinning fine, but under a load, it just can't push the log. Well maybe anyway.

Now the disclaimer: I have no idea what you are planing, have for root balls or what shape your planer is in, I am just trying to give you some information to help you out. That is one way of saying I have no idea what your problem is, but these are some areas I would look into.

By the way, root-balls and their multi-directional grain makes some of the most beautiful wood. I harvest my own trees so when it comes to Black Cherry, I saw my tree right at ground level. That first foot of so of stump has the most beautiful curly cherry you have ever seen, and every Black Cherry tree has it, most loggers just don't cut the tree low enough to get it.

From what I've read here, if it is NOT electrical, then I'd be taking it apart to check the bearings.

marks_planer.jpg

Looks like you have a total of four bearings.

This is from ToolPartsDirect.com

A LINK to your planer.

If you can get the tool apart and take the bearings out, they should have a number on them, take the bearings to a bearing shop and buy new ones (if they are fried) this will be WAY cheaper than buying bearings from DeWalt.

Cheers!

mark, handheld planers are under 200 bucks........what is the wood and your time worth?

Yeah, getting this one fixed will take WAY too long. Also, I found one at Amazon, that they sell, for $159 and got them to price match from another site and have it coming next day, tomorrow, for $99.94. I REALLY wanted to get another Dewalt so that I wouldn't have to spend another whole day refitting my jig to another planer body. So, I'm fairly happy right now, if not a little frustrated. But, I'll be back planing tomorrow. :D:D:D

Last edited:
Hey Mark, you can take it to Stanislaus Electric over on river road off of 9th street. Next to them is Racor w/new and used tools.

Have fun Dennis

Hey Mark, you can take it to Stanislaus Electric over on river road off of 9th street. Next to them is Racor w/new and used tools.

Have fun Dennis

Yeah but they''re always a couple of weeks out on repairs. When time isn't an issue they're where I take my repairs to but I'm kinda in a time crunch this time. I like to go into Rayco and look at their big machines and check out their BIG used machines in the back. But they always want really big dollars for their stuff, too much IMO.

I saw a huge 16" or 24" (I don't remember which) jointer in there the last time I was in. It look like a bed it was so big. :D

Thanks for the reminder though Dennis.