Shop Class Curriculum?

ryan potter

Hey, all! I figure with all the experience floating around this place, there's likely to be a few of you who could help me out!

I was recently hired as the Shop/Industrial Arts teacher at a small private school, who really had no other options besides me (or they would have hired them instead!:D). Although I've worked in various shops over the years, I'm now faced with the job of coming up with classroom curriculum for students from 6th to 12th grade, with an average of 10 students in the shop at a time. Does anyone have books they'd recommend for my students--project books of various skill levels-- or books they'd recommend to me, as I learned most of what I know "unofficially", and feel grossly unprepared to teach proper usage and safety of the machines to fairly young students.

Thanks!

ryan, one of my favorite texts is cabinetmaking and millwork by j.l feirer, it offers a basic understanding of materials, tools and the building process.
shop drawing and or drafting are usefull courses, i was taught to draft by hand but kids today are probably much more comfortable using a `puter?
kids are smart (by and large) show them the business end of a tool wether a chisel or a tablesaw and explain that if it`ll cut wood, flesh won`t even slow it down.....it`s their job as humans to retain as many of their digits as possible, the main reason folks get hurt or maimed using any tool is human error.....soooo, don`t make stupid errors.
what type of courses besides woodworking are you to teach? electricity? metalworking-n-welding? autoshop-paint?

Last edited:
No direct recommendations here but I had a woodwork teacher who used woodwork to teach other subjects as well. Relating geometry (3,4,5 rule as an example) into the real world can make a possibly dull subject like maths interesting to young people in new way. To me woodwork can be a tool to teach chemistry, physics, maths, biology - you name it.

Good luck - work safe.

Ryan, first, welcome to the family! :wave:

Second, congrats on the new job! :clap:

Teaching kids workshop is not small matter.

A member here, Jim Hager just retired as a Woodshop teacher, PM him and maybe he could help you out with some suggestions, tell him Stu sent you! :D

Cheers!

Hey Ryan, good luck with the position! One of the first things you will probably want to cover is basic shop math! Don't have any specific recommendations!

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Ryan,
Glad to have you. Somehow we can work through all this.
Naturally, safety first, then focus on a purpose for the year, kinda like real general, then break the year in half and "How do I accomplish the foundation in the first half of the year that allows me to accomplish "MY PURPOSE" when the year is finally over.
Good luck and stick with it here, there are teachers, educators, creative genius's, loving fathers and mothers and all can help you, as we all help each other.
Shaz
More later.

ryan, one of my favorite texts is cabinetmaking and millwork by j.l feirer, it offers a basic understanding of materials, tools and the building process.
shop drawing and or drafting are usefull courses, i was taught to draft by hand but kids today are probably much more comfortable using a `puter?
kids are smart (by and large) show them the business end of a tool wether a chisel or a tablesaw and explain that if it`ll cut wood, flesh won`t even slow it down.....it`s their job as humans to retain as many of their digits as possible, the main reason folks get hurt or maimed using any tool is human error.....soooo, don`t make stupid errors.
what type of courses besides woodworking are you to teach? electricity? metalworking-n-welding? autoshop-paint?

If'n ye like it and learned some of what you do now from it, that's a good reccomendation. I just ordered a copy from B&N. Have a gift certificate from Father's Day from the son and grands I haven't used up yet. Can't think of a better use.

Ryan,

Welcome to the Family! :wave:

Woodshop was never offered in my school.
I've never taken a woodworking class, but wished I would have. I learned from my Dad, books, TV shows (Norm-NYW & David Marks), just plain experimenting, and from the "Family" too!

I did some digging around and found this link/course description for a woodworking class. It is pretty detailed, hope it helps.

http://www.rcmahar.org/staff/jkelley/coursedescription.htm

Todd is correct about cabinetmaking and millwork by J L Feirer being a good info text but in my experience with teaching for over 30 years, It is too dry, laced with minimum common informations and a bit too technical for the younger set. I used that book in the classroom for several years because there were no funds to replace them. The information had to be supported with a LOT of intervention by the teacher. (you had to explain it all and put it in terms they understand) But it is a good referance book. Earlier publications by J L Feirer and Bennet were excellant and much better, but they are old (woodworking never goes out of date) and the publisher have abandoned them. The drive towards Career orientation has driven the handwork skills out of the text books.

My suggestion is to write to the publisher (Goodhart Wilcox comes to mind) and ask them for sample issues, they are often glad to supply a few copies for your review. At one time Goodhart had some excellant texts for general shop (heaven forbit you call it that now)

I went to school half my life to become a teacher and it requires much more than a good text but that is a good start. Safety reviews and drawing & planning is one of the most import aspects of the class that many new teachers neglect till it is too late. Kids want to "Make something" I did too. but there needs to be preliminary learning prior to hands on. One way I approached this was through a small hands on project whilst we learned about the rest of the material. "Book Larnin' took place at the beginning and yet I set aside a Friday to do some "Hands-on" to reward the kids and adapt them to "shop" conditions and responsibilities. As we progressed then additiona days were set aside to do the "Work" until only a few days were consumed in technical Prep.

I began my 6-7 graders with a simple project such as an ice scraper. They traced a pattern onto a scrap of 1/4' plexiglass, Used a Copiong saw and a "V" block to cut it out and the file the edges and sharpen the scraping edge. Sandpaper and steelwool to polish the edge, Why? A) consumes their desire to "Make something" B) Learn following directions and tool manipulation. C) tools not dangerous (yet) any injuries can be cured with a bandaid D) Plexiglass is a good teaching tool to explain how progressive grit sizes can work scratches down to a polished surface E) Plexiglass was scrap donated from local company F) Provided a useful project to take home and be proud.

I run into "Old men" who approach me and say "I still got that ice scraper I made in your class in the 7th grade" I had a kid one time say "My Grandpa made an ice scraper just like this" That is when I knew it were time to retire....

Good Luck, keep informed of how it goes.

Kids want to "Make something" I did too. but there needs to be preliminary learning prior to hands on. One way I approached this was through a small hands on project whilst we learned about the rest of the material. "Book Larnin' took place at the beginning and yet I set aside a Friday to do some "Hands-on" to reward the kids and adapt them to "shop" conditions and responsibilities. As we progressed then additiona days were set aside to do the "Work" until only a few days were consumed in technical Prep.

From a high school students perspective of being in a woodworking class many years ago I feel that the above statement is EXTREMELY important. I could go into the story but basically the point is that by the time that I got to really build something I was so bored that I never took another class and that is really too bad. I just really loved the few teachers that could keep something interesting.

Modern Woodworking and Modern Cabinetmaking from Goodheart-Wilcox are very good for beginning level instruction. I would use Modern Woodworking because it does a good job on both hand and power tools. Cabinetmaking and Millwork would be for an advanced course.

Stress safety, give safety demonstrations, require safety tests and insist on students demonstrating proper use of tools and machines in your presence and document, document, document what you have done in class. Try to get liability insurance to cover yourself. Don't rely on the school's insurance. In case of a bad accident, the school will look out for itself. Your financial wellbeing may be secondary at best to them.

Your first decision will be determined by the facilities and equipment available. That determines the path you take to having students building interest and enthusiasm for your program.

Projects need to be skill building and attractive to students and to parents. Remember who is ultimately paying the bills. The suggestion about using WW to teach other material is certainly a good one. You have the opportunity to inspire underachievers and give gifted students a creative outlet.

I'm starting my 40th year of teaching shop/industrial arts/technology. I've seen students achieve more than anyone ever expects from them. I've had teenagers turn their attitude about school from very negative to very positive. I now have 6th graders seeing a need for and applying trigonometry in their activities. They don't think it's hard---they say "this is cool". Just remember that they are kids; and kids sometimes do immature and foolish things. They will try your patience and sometimes push you to your limits of understanding and patience. Many times they act first and then think. It's a great job, but sometimes you will wonder if you have lost your sanity.

You have an awesome opportunity. Good luck!

Well if it is a woodworking class, seems like you should get to make something outa WOOD! Sorry Bill, an ice scraper isn't that useful out here on the left coast. :)

In 7th or 8th grade our two daughters made a cat shaped key holder and an arched wood piece that held a clock. Metal shop produced a minature dustpan! We don't seem to have any minature dust so it's a decoration. I think they used a scroll saw to cut out the shapes. They weren't that interested in shop so most of the time they smiled at the cute boys and asked for help. :(

The first thing I'd say to you is to make sure you understand how to use all the tools safely and can teach that to the students. It would be horrible to have one of your students maimed on a table saw (for example).

I take woodworking classes at a community college and they are extremely strict about safety - and I completely agree with that attitude.

Mike

The "Industrial Arts" wing of the school has been losing more and more space and rooms to other departments, so at this point, the old auto bay houses the kiln for the art department, and the old drafting room is the darkroom... I'm not sure how much longer the woodworking equipment will have a room!

oh.......i get it........kids can earn a better living making pottery or shooting pictures with film cameras than working in the trades........
somebody needs to open their eyes:(
kudos to you ryan for stepping up! and best of luck!
tod

Well guys, Ryan PMed me, seems he is taking over from a guy I knew at a school here in Tokyo, the place I got some wood from before.

I can tell you, that Ryan has a real uphill battle, the arts dept taking over the shop space, well you see the art teacher is married to the schools principal :rolleyes:

Ryan has a fairly decent set up, needs some work, but he has a bunch of scroll saws, a lathe or two, a good Delta 14" bandsaw, and a good, but OLD table saw planer, jointer etc, but most of the larger tools are from the late 60's

This is the place I went, to give a hand cut dovetail demo for the English class :D

The kids are mainly from WELL off families, and the whole Woodwork thing is just a chance for them to get their hands dirty, at the very best, some of these kids might one day become hobbyists.

Ryan has a bit of an up hill climb, from what I saw there, but, the tools are there, with some hard work, I think you could really turn the place around.

If you need anything that I can give you, Ryan, don't hesitate to call.

Cheers!

Well if it is a woodworking class, seems like you should get to make something outa WOOD! Sorry Bill, an ice scraper isn't that useful out here on the left coast. :)

In 7th or 8th grade our two daughters made a cat shaped key holder and an arched wood piece that held a clock. Metal shop produced a minature dustpan! We don't seem to have any minature dust so it's a decoration. I think they used a scroll saw to cut out the shapes. They weren't that interested in shop so most of the time they smiled at the cute boys and asked for help. :(

The materials are different but the processes are the same. An ice scraper is an example, the important thing is to MAKE something, being in a land of milk and honey doesn't negate you from being creative and coming up with a simple project that involves hand tools and allows students to enjoy the act of Making something to keep and to have. As for using a scroll saw, remember this project starts the first week and that is long before students are prepared to use any power equipment. Some folks think a scroll saw is a simple safe tool to use. In adult hands it may be but I have seen and experienced some pretty severe accidents at the controls of this simple tool. School shop scroll saws are not the small simple tools we have at home (if they were they wouldn't last the season) most are larger and belt driven and a bit more agressive. Besides, the idea is to allow ALL students to do some Work. Waiting in line for a few minutes at a scroll saw will only fester into horseplay and discipline disruption with younger kids, heck, adults get fidigity whilst waiting in line.
Obviously you have never encountered a room full of 30 kids eager to do something and had no plan for their entertainment., Teaching is not a simple matter of "I know the info and skill and will embark myknowledge upon you" Teaching involves prep as well as an education in drawing the interest of all the person's involved. Secure that each and every one is prepared for safety and understanding of the basic skills before proceding to step by step instruction assuming that noone has prior knowledge, All the while captivating the student that would rather be disrupting and yet allow a student already skilled to advance and still be interested. BTDT

I had 30 years in the classroom and administrative office unlike Ron from the Indianappolis my heart acted up on me so I choose to retireand enjoy the rest... Or I would still be there. sad to say that local schools have opted out of an6y industrial arts activities because the idiots in Frankfort refuse to fund any activities that don't lead towards a specific Career.

The first project that that our school have students make is a step stool. After that they get a chance to learn to use a lath and bigger tools. In my 10th class I made a lamp and made a table to match. Just dont do like the one shop techer they had a few years ago. Just make sure they learn proper use of each tool and strat on hand tools and work your way up. Kids will remeber a class if it is intresting and they learn good ethics in the proses.