what happened and why not...?

Frank Fusco

I was typing a particularly worthy response to a post this morning when I hit the 'enter' key and it all dissapeared. My brilliant words were lost. Wahoppen?

Also, I would like to see a change in the way 'new posts' are set up. When reading new posts on the second, or third page then click 'new posts' for the next thread, it always goes back to page one and I have to click page 2 or 3 or whatever to get back to where I was. Howzabout bringing us back to the page we were on? Can it be done?

I'm not sure what happened to the post you were about to make Frank. But, the same thing has happened to me...in various ways.

I've had the forum tell me I wasn't logged on after I hit the submit button. I've had the forum "go away" for a second after I hit the submit button. Etc. And that can be PLENTY painful...especially when I was making some of my ridiculously long Birth posts! :doh:

As for your New Posts question...I'm not sure I understand what it is you're trying to do, or wanting to do.

If you hit New Posts and are presented with three pages of posts, go through and read each, and then hit your BACK button to get back to the list...instead of hitting the New Post button again. Or, and this is how I do it, hold down the SHIFT key when you click on a new post. That causes the new post to be opened in a new window. When I'm done reading that new post, I simply close the new window and I'm right back where I left off in the list.

If this doesn't help, try to give me a better idea of what you need/want and I'll see if I can help! ;)

- Marty -

I have had explorer etc "hang" after after long posts, not just here but elsewhere. I try to remember to highlight the entire post, right click in the selected text and choose "copy" before I hit the "submit" button. If everything goes phut at that point at least I have the text etc to paste into a new message.

Or, and this is how I do it, hold down the SHIFT key when you click on a new post. That causes the new post to be opened in a new window. When I'm done reading that new post, I simply close the new window and I'm right back where I left off in the list.

I do something similar, but use the CTRL key which makes the post open in a new tab in IE7 or Firefox. I'm addicted to the CTRL key now.

...Also, I would like to see a change in the way 'new posts' are set up. When reading new posts on the second, or third page then click 'new posts' for the next thread, it always goes back to page one and I have to click page 2 or 3 or whatever to get back to where I was. Howzabout bringing us back to the page we were on? Can it be done?
To add to what Marty said, when you click "New Posts" you're asking the software to run a new search. Since it's a new search, it starts you at the beginning of the search again.

For example, if you were searching Google for "musket", and after reading a few pages of search listings, you asked Google to search for "musket" again, the listing from Google would start back at page 1.

So, the short answer to the "Can it be done?" question is "No, sorry". :) I use the back button instead, then after reading a few posts I hit "New Posts" just to refresh the list and show me which ones I've read.