First Show

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I got an e-mail message today letting me know I've been accepted into my first juried art show, next month in Pasadena. That's the easy part...the real test comes in about a month, when I see how willing people are to part with dollars for (mostly) round (mostly) wooden stuff. This should be a good public...the show is produced by del Mano Productions, which is affiliated with the del Mano Gallery. We'll know soon enough, I guess.

http://www.delmano.com/

Just wanted to share the news...

:congrats:, Vaughn!

That's great news...

From what you've show us here, I know your pieces are going to be well received, from a both a craftsmanship and an artistic view.

Good Luck!:thumb:

:clap: Congratulations Vaughn! :clap:

Well you still talk to us little people when you become famous? :(

DT

be sure to

stuff your hair up under a tall hat so they wont see the ca. hippy under neath your smiling face.:D unless they are from that era in the show then blend right in with them vaughn and play a few chords while settin there waiting for the next customer..

Well done Vaughn - getting in is the first step. I hope that you sell well but also hope that you learn lots. The first few shows that you do will take you up a steep curve. Sometimes walking away with more knowledge is as valuable as walking away with cash.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for all the encouragement, all.
...The first few shows that you do will take you up a steep curve. Sometimes walking away with more knowledge is as valuable as walking away with cash...
Sage advice (as usual), Ian. :thumb: Fortunately for me I am not relying on this endeavor to put food on the table, so that takes some of the pressure off as far as making money. (Of course, I hope to recoup my show expenses.)

I expect pricing to be one of the biggest conundrums in that learning curve. In talking to other turners who do these shows for a living, I can see they have a lot of concern about hobbyist guys like me showing up and underpricing them. In my case, they don't have to worry. I'll be doing my best to set my prices to be comparable to theirs. Even though I can afford to sell my stuff cheap, I value it (and my time and talent) more than that. I'd rather give my stuff away than sell it for below market rate.

. Even though I can afford to sell my stuff cheap, I value it (and my time and talent) more than that. I'd rather give my stuff away than sell it for below market rate.

amen! thanks for being stand-up vaughn.......even though i don`t sell turnin`s i have to compete with every hack who has a contractors saw and a miterbox in their garage;)