Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Figured Cedar Hollow Form

Figured Cedar Hollow Form

Here's some nicely-figured cedar, about 7 1/4" wide by 4" tall. I tried turning it close to finished dimensions while wet. It only warped a tiny bit, so the rim and the foot were the only exterior parts I finish turned. I did thin up the walls a bit after it dried, but only from the inside. I had a bit of heat checking from sanding too fast on the green wood (I know, Stu), but after it dried I was able to hide it all pretty well with a bit of CA and patience.

I know some folks don't, but I like the smell of fresh cedar in the shop. I had a bit of a sore throat reaction from the cedar fumes when I did the green turning, but I had no problems with it dry. (Remembering to use the respirator helped on the dry stuff, I'm sure, but I don't know if it would do any good when turning the wet stuff.)

This one is finished with low gloss Tung Oil blend, and buffed out with the 3-wheel setup. I finished the outside only, and only sanded the inside up to 320 grit, so the inside still smells like cedar. Looking at the pics, I can see a little whoop-de-do on the lip where I tried to sand out a little blemish. I plan to revisit the lip and even it up by hand.

Attachment 11551 Attachment 11552 Attachment 11553 Attachment 11554 Attachment 11555

As usual, comments, opinions and suggestions are welcome.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You sir, continue to impress!

I must admit, I still have trouble getting my head around turning Cedar, I guess in the wet it is easier, but the Cedar I grew up with was so soft and light, I would have not thought about turning it.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Yes Vaughn it is very nice. I have tried turning cedar with nice results and find it often has nice grain pattern. Never turned it green but dry it is hard on the sinuses. For people with allergies you need a mask.

Vaughn, that is a pretty thing. I love cedar and you have displayed a nice piece of wood extremely well. Beautiful finish!
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Wow! That looks quite stunning, Vaughn! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to clean the drool off my keyboard.

Vaughn, that's really something special. These hollow forms that you are doing are just fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Gret looking piece, Vaughn.

I don't know how you guys find so much time to turn. If I get one piece off my lathe every couple of weeks, I feel like I've accomplished something.

Sometimes I think you folks who make these gorgeous pieces one-after-the-other are just doing it to make me jealous.

Beautiful work.
    ----------------------------------
    -Steven
    My lathe is my therapist

Very nice Vaughn! Pretty wood, and a very well done shape.

Bill
    Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

Vaughn that is a beauty. I really like working with cedar as it makes the shop smell good. Nice form and finish. Very well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Vaughn, that is a fine looking HF. I might have a chance to get ahold of a load of cedar this weekend. If i do, I hope I can make something half as cool