Figured Cedar Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's some nicely-figured cedar, about 7 1/4" wide by 4" tall. I tried turning it close to finished dimensions while wet. It only warped a tiny bit, so the rim and the foot were the only exterior parts I finish turned. I did thin up the walls a bit after it dried, but only from the inside. I had a bit of heat checking from sanding too fast on the green wood (I know, Stu), :rolleyes: but after it dried I was able to hide it all pretty well with a bit of CA and patience.

I know some folks don't, but I like the smell of fresh cedar in the shop. I had a bit of a sore throat reaction from the cedar fumes when I did the green turning, but I had no problems with it dry. (Remembering to use the respirator helped on the dry stuff, I'm sure, but I don't know if it would do any good when turning the wet stuff.)

This one is finished with low gloss Tung Oil blend, and buffed out with the 3-wheel setup. I finished the outside only, and only sanded the inside up to 320 grit, so the inside still smells like cedar. Looking at the pics, I can see a little whoop-de-do on the lip where I tried to sand out a little blemish. I plan to revisit the lip and even it up by hand.

HF031 - 03 800.jpg HF031 - 07 800.jpg HF031 - 05 800.jpg HF031 - 09 800.jpg HF031 - 12 800.jpg

As usual, comments, opinions and suggestions are welcome.

You sir, continue to impress! :clap:

I must admit, I still have trouble getting my head around turning Cedar, I guess in the wet it is easier, but the Cedar I grew up with was so soft and light, I would have not thought about turning it.

Cheers!

Yes Vaughn it is very nice. I have tried turning cedar with nice results and find it often has nice grain pattern. Never turned it green but dry it is hard on the sinuses. For people with allergies you need a mask.

Vaughn, that's really something special. These hollow forms that you are doing are just fantastic. Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

Gret looking piece, Vaughn.

I don't know how you guys find so much time to turn. If I get one piece off my lathe every couple of weeks, I feel like I've accomplished something.

Sometimes I think you folks who make these gorgeous pieces one-after-the-other are just doing it to make me jealous. ;)

Beautiful work.

Vaughn, that is a fine looking HF. I might have a chance to get ahold of a load of cedar this weekend. If i do, I hope I can make something half as cool:thumb:

Hey Vaughn, Thats a beauty! I brought a large red cedar log back from Missouri when I visited my parents recently. It was a tree in our back yard when I was growing up. It was cut several years ago, the sap wood was mostly gone but the heart wood is pristine, the stuff is aparently very rot resistant. I sawed it up into planks (I'll be making lawn furniture out of that) and also quite a few bowl blanks. I've turned one simple bowl so far, but am embarrased to post it now after seeing yours. But it turns like a dream, takes a fine finish, and is light as a feather. Once again, Well Done! Cheers, Barry