A little out of balance WIP

Stuart Ablett

Well, I had this UGLY piece of wood sitting here, seriously thinking of the burn pile for this one, but, I decided to give it a spin..... :D

oor1.JPG oor2.JPG
Certainly is out of round and way off balance, thanks goodness for the P&N Supra Gouge, as it was great for this, big thick and I could hang it off the tool rest a bit without worry. Sure took a beating to get it into some semblance of round......

oor3.JPG oor4.JPG
........but the color and grain were sure looking worthwhile :thumb:
There was one inclusion that went nearly right through the piece that I was VERY worried about it flying off, so I did the CA glue and Coffee crystal thing again, lots of CA glue first, so I could hope it would hang on and not launch.......

I turned a tenon on it and chucked it up to do the front.........

oor5.JPG oor6.JPG
I left a bit of a rim on it, something similar (but not as well done) as I saw Eli Avisera do at a demo here. I also got thin enough to turn through the one piece of bark left in the side, so now I got a hole! :rolleyes:

Still have to finish this one, but I wanted to show that Bill and Vaughn are not the only guys doing SOME turning :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers!

Stu I also recently pulled some ugly stuff out of the wood burning pile and found it was spalted quite nicely. What kind of wood do you have there? Looking good.

Alex it is the dreaded red Keyaki! :eek:

I think I'm coming to terms with it better than I had in the past, I sure hope so, as I have a bunch of it :rolleyes:

Looking very good, Stu! Just proves that there's little such thing as a "useless" piece of wood to a woodturner. And there's nothing better than firewood turned art (pun intended).:thumb:

That's going to be a beaut Stu! I think that's what amazes me the most about turning.....It's kind of like Christmas......You don't know what you've got until you unwrap it!

When all other woodworkers say "I can't do anything with that." a turner looks and thinks "I'll bet there's a cool piece inside that."

You definitely found it Stu.

Man I bet that made that lathe want to start dancing!! I haven't started at all on anything of that proportion for a bowl. Actually my Craftsman lathe is not working at this time am working off of my JET mini. Very nice piece. By the way, is this green? If so, what do you do with it now to keep it from cracking?

It was "green" in Feb this year, I coated it with my mix of white glue and water, but it is not very green now.

The lathe did not dance at all, my lathe stand is heavy, and it is loaded down with about 400 pounds of sand etc.

Cheers!