25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bosch 4410L

5 20.00%
  • Makita LS1013LF

7 28.00%
  • Other

13 52.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

Which Miter saw to buy? Need help.

Newbie here to the forum and novice wood worker. I'm putting down some laminate flooring in my house and want to buy a Miter Saw. This is my first Miter saw purchase so I want to make sure its a good one. Most of all, I don't want to buy a Miter Saw and have to upgrade it in a year or two when doing more projects (crown molding, bookshelves, etc) and realized I bought a piece of junk or not a advanced enough model.

I’m leaning towards a 10” SCMS based on what others have said about its versatility.

Is a 10" SCMS better than a 12" non-sliding?

The 2 models which seem to have the best reputation are the Bosch 4410L or Makita LS1013.

Also, I went to look at buying a Ridgid MSUV from someone a few blocks away in anticipation of the saw. This retired gentleman has a barely used Ridgid SCMS, MS1290LZ with the Ridgid MSUV for $330 total. It's 2 years old but only used for some ~10 small bird houses and seems to run great.

Is this a good buy for a 12" SCMS and MSUV?
    or is the Ridgid MCMS no good?

Thanks for you feedback.
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry Allweiss; 08-15-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: []= edited to remove faux cussin`

barry,
    i use milwaukee sliders the guard is kinda easy to remove and i like the 60deg to the right feature.
    welcome to family woodworking!
    tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Barry,

Welcome to the forum!

I have a DeWalt 703 (10") on a Rigid MSUV that I'm using now for cutting crown molding and chair rails. The saw works well. You'll love the MSUV

Miter saws are on sale at amazon right now with free shipping. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I have a 10" Delta CMS, and it works just fine for my needs.
    I spent three years in a shop with a Harbor Freight 10" SCMS which did a great job for $100. I'll even recommend it over my delta.
    -Ned

Also, I noticed this evening that Toolseeker shows Amazon has up to 50.00 off some mitersaws at checkout. code: mitersaw . But the list wouldn't pop up to see which saws had what.vvJim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Miter saw

When we built our addition onto our home I bought a DeWalt sliding compound miter saw. It has performed flawlessly. That was about 10 years ago and it is my go to saw everyday in the shop. You would never regret this purchase.

I'm probably the wrong guy to give advice on this subject. Mine is a $99.00 Northern Industrial from Northern Tool. It is a 10" slider and I love it. Powerful and accurate. Even comes with a laser light thingy. I'm positive it is the same as some 'name' brands with a different paint job and much higher price tag. And, it certainly can't be all bad. It even has a warning label just for Californians about the toxic effects of the dust from sawing things. Really, it does.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    And, it certainly can't be all bad. It even has a warning label just for Californians about the toxic effects of the dust from sawing things. Really, it does.
    I was getting worried about your saw but I feel much better now. If it weren't for that sticker it probably would not even turn on, much less cut anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post
    I was getting worried about your saw but I feel much better now. If it weren't for that sticker it probably would not even turn on, much less cut anything.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire