Which SCMS

• Bosch 4410L

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Makita LS1013LF

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
Newbie here to the forum and novice wood worker. I'm putting down some laminate flooring in my house and want to buy a Miter Saw. This is my first Miter saw purchase so I want to make sure its a good one. Most of all, I don't want to buy a Miter Saw and have to upgrade it in a year or two when doing more projects (crown molding, bookshelves, etc) and realized I bought a piece of junk or not a advanced enough model.

I’m leaning towards a 10” SCMS based on what others have said about its versatility.

Is a 10" SCMS better than a 12" non-sliding?

The 2 models which seem to have the best reputation are the Bosch 4410L or Makita LS1013.

Also, I went to look at buying a Ridgid MSUV from someone a few blocks away in anticipation of the saw. This retired gentleman has a barely used Ridgid SCMS, MS1290LZ with the Ridgid MSUV for $330 total. It's 2 years old but only used for some ~10 small bird houses and seems to run great.

Is this a good buy for a 12" SCMS and MSUV?
or is the Ridgid MCMS no good?

Thanks for you feedback.
Barry

Last edited:
barry,
i use milwaukee sliders the guard is kinda easy to remove and i like the 60deg to the right feature.
welcome to family woodworking!
tod

Barry,

Welcome to the forum!

I have a DeWalt 703 (10") on a Rigid MSUV that I'm using now for cutting crown molding and chair rails. The saw works well. You'll love the MSUV:thumb:

Miter saw

When we built our addition onto our home I bought a DeWalt sliding compound miter saw. It has performed flawlessly. That was about 10 years ago and it is my go to saw everyday in the shop. You would never regret this purchase.

I'm probably the wrong guy to give advice on this subject. Mine is a $99.00 Northern Industrial from Northern Tool. It is a 10" slider and I love it. Powerful and accurate. Even comes with a laser light thingy. I'm positive it is the same as some 'name' brands with a different paint job and much higher price tag. And, it certainly can't be all bad. It even has a warning label just for Californians about the toxic effects of the dust from sawing things. :rolleyes: Really, it does.

I'm going to be no help at all.
I finally sold my electron powered CMS a few months ago but kept this one
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10974
Just got tired of finding storage space for the CMS when I could do everything on the TS, or the hand powered one when the TS wasnt convenient. Now if I had to do a lot of crown molding or needed something to schlep to worksites, that would have been different. I spose if I dont clamp it down to the work surface it could be called a Sliding CMS:D Oh and it's a 24"-er too.:thumb:

I have the DeWalt DW705. It is a 12in single bevel compound mitre saw. I bought it several years ago when I built my deck. I have been happy with it, and it has worked well for me.

Just recently I made a ZCI for it. That has made a difference in preventing the wood from chipping out on the bottom. I also made a zero clearance fence for it using 1/4in MDF carpet tapped to the existing fence, to reduce chip out on the back of the work piece.

The best part was, that when I bought it, DeWalt included a free random orbit sander with it (retail about $70) :D I love that sander!

Attachments

• DW705S.jpg
    DW705S.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 4
It even has a warning label just for Californians about the toxic effects of the dust from sawing things. :rolleyes: Really, it does.

I'm not sure if any of my tools have this type of warning label, but I know that that same warning is in every tool manual that I have. I think its a law for all tools sold in California that create dust of any type.

...I think its a law for all tools sold in California that create dust of any type.
I think it's a law in California that everything known to man can cause cancer, and thus needs a warning label on it. :rolleyes: They have warning signs in stores that certain items sold (they never saw which ones) can cause cancer in pregnant baby whales and condor eggs. They tried to put a sign on the sun to warn about skin cancer, and it kept melting. :D

Well, I'll add another name to the list, Hitachi.

I have an older 8" SCMS and it is still dead on accurate, just love it.

The Newer Hitachi 10" SCMS are getting great reviews, dunno if I like their "Alien" styling, but that might just be me :D

Well, it came down to the final home stretch and the winner is.......Bosch. I bought the Bosch 4410L along with the Ridgid MSUV. Came pretty close to buying the Makita 1013FL but felt more comfortable using the Bosch.

Can't wait until I get my SCMS...I feel like a kid at Christmas waiting to open the presents.

Thanks for everyones advice.

That is great Barry. It is a teriffic feeling to be looking forward to a new tool arriving. I am a Makita user but you will love the Bosch. Between the two it is a win, win situation. You cannot go wrong with the Ridgid MSUV either. Allen

Congrats Barry,

You got a great team to work with! If I hadn't found the DW703, with all the accessories included, for such a great price, I would have gone with the Bosch 4410L too! Now get yourself a Forrest Chopmaster blade for it, and you're all set!:thumb: