Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requested : A discussion in simple terms about lathe chucks

Requested : A discussion in simple terms about lathe chucks

Last edited by John Bartley; 11-27-2010 at 12:11 PM.

You want simple? You get simple. I like simple.
    Got to PSI http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lathe-chucks.html
    They have a selection of excellent knock-offs of the high priced European chucks. Not only that, they come with several jaw sets, saving even more money. Pick out one that meets your size and budget requirements and turn happily.
    Pictures are mandatory when you have finished that cherry turning.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

John, I've got a Nova G3, which is somewhat of an economy chuck, although it's priced a bit higher than the PSI chucks. I'm very happy with it. That said, the PSI chucks have a lot of fans, and they seem to be a good value. Whatever you get, I'd suggest getting one with a key instead of the dual "Tommy Bars". There are times when you'll appreciate being able to tighten the chuck one-handed. (I expect some people will argue that you can use Tommy Bars one-handed, but it's still less than ideal.)

As far as the jaw types, I've not had enough experience with all the different ones to give solid advice, but PSI Barracuda and Barracuda II come with an assortment of jaws, which should cover a lot of bases.

Ditto what Frank said regarding the pics of the completed cherry.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I got the PSI Barracuda C3000 chuck. Though I've not used it a lot, I like it for the various jaws you get, and the keyed handle.

Check out the reviews..

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/csc3000c.html

John....I use a Super Nova 2 by Technatools.......It's a great little chuck but spendy.....It works well on my mini and it'll work well on the bigger lathe I hope to buy shortly.

Buy a 4 jaw chuck and I'd recommend on that you can tighten with one hand. Mine uses a special T handled allen wrench. I can hold the bowl in place on the chuck with my right hand and snug the chuck up with the left hand. Then I can use both hands to tighten the chuck if I want but Turning Gorilla rarely needs to use 2 hands to tighten the chuck!

The PSI 4 jaw chucks have gotten good reviews and so have some of the Grizzleys.

John I got one of these chucks from Grizzly. They are $99. You can find them here: http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2007/Main/121 and it is a 3 3/4" chuck. The number is H6265. This is a chuck you can hold the blank and tighten with the other hand. If you get this one and upgrade it is the same as the Vicmarc and the jaws of a good Vicmarc chuck will fit it. I almost wish I hadn't spent the $219 for the Vicmarc and just bought 2 of these with the extra jaws. This thing held a 33 lb. 15 1/2" bowl blank with no problems. Of course I keep the tailstock up till the last minute in hollowing out the bowl. I bought the Vicmarc cole jaws for reversing bowls, the shark jaws and spigot jaws and they will fit it just fine. Just another thought. I looked at the $42.50 one but wanted something that when I did upgrade I could interchange the jaws.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Last edited by John Bartley; 11-27-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added info

Yep, I believe BusyBee and Grizzly are loosely connected (independently run by two brothers IIRC). Looks like pretty much the same chuck.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Another vote for the Nova G3, I like it very much.

I want to get a larger chuck too, I think I'll be getting the Nova Titan.

The PSI chuck looks like a great deal, too bad it won't fit my lathe, as I have the 1 1/4" spindle.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I'll be a bit of a dissenter here (so wats new? ). I have a tommy bar chuck and a key chuck. Personally, I don't find the tommy (two) bar thing a big deal at all. In shopping for a new chuck, I would give that feature a very low priority in my overall consideration.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire