Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop lighting

Shop lighting

I have my shop in the garage & have noticed that fluorescent lights say "do not use below 60 degrees", my garage gets way below 60 in the winter.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for shop lighting?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Dennis, are these the T-12 standard flourescent bulbs that have been around forever? 1 1/2" diameter? If so, that may be true because of the magnetic ballasts used to run them. Get some T-8 fixtures with the electronic ballasts and the temp shouldn't bother them. I know over the winter my unheated shop got into the 30s quite often, and my T-8 fixtures from Home Depot never flinched. Popped right on and worked great. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Get some T-8 fixtures with the electronic ballasts
    If you do what Jim says you will not be disappointed. They are instant on, do not make any noise and create really great light, especially if you use daylight bulbs. If you switch over you will never go back to the dark ages. A little pun there; very little but a pun non the less.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 08-16-2007 at 12:26 AM.

Another vote for electronic ballast and T-8's. I run GE SP65 ECO lamps. Very happy. There's a good article on shop lighting here but a guidline is:

1. Measure the distance between the light source and the horizontal work surface (X).

2. The distance between rows of fixtures (Y) should be a maximum of 1 1/2 times the distance X.

3. The distance between a wall and a row of fixtures (Z) should be approximately a third to half the distance Y.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-16-2007 at 01:36 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    ...The old T-11's didn't do too bad in cold weather...
    As I recall, they didn't do too well with a few thousand pounds of ice on 'em, though.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The only problem I have with t-8's is that the ballasts don't last. In my branch store, t-8's were used when this store was built. That was 7 years ago and I have replaced almost every ballast in the work room area. The ballasts started going bad after 4 years of use.

At my main store, the ballasts have never been replaced. These are the old fashioned ones and are 17 years old. All I have done with these is change the bulbs.

Oh yea, you can get the big fat bulbs with fixtures that have cold weather ballasts. I have those in my boiler room.

Joe

my shop lights are the old t-11 style and they humm a bit when it`s cold but they warm up and work just fine for me.....
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

T-12 H.O

i used the t12 in the old shop and have had great results in cold weather start up..we get some below zero weather in winter.. and they still came on, the shop is heated but the garage isnt and they worked out there as well..the new shop will also have them and the hum sometimes is from a loose ballast but the light is great..thanks for the formula on light placement i think i got lucky and meet the requirements from just puttin them where i thught would work the best for me.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I use HO (high output) T-12 tubes - they're designed to work in cold temps.
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk

The other issue with the T-12s, is that they are supposed to be dissappearing soon. Kind of like the old R-12 refrigerant, except not an ozone issue with the bulbs, unless their ineffeciency causes more coal or oil fired generator emmissions. This does not apply to the HO T-12, just the old regular style. The HO units I think achieve this because they use electronic ballasts, like the T-8s. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3