Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first "little" bowl

My first "little" bowl

Hi Folks,

Well, I finally got some time to finish my first bowl project. I don't even know what wood I used for it. (just a piece of something I had hanging around)

It is simple, about 1 1/2" high and about 5" diameter. It was just a trial. I posted some pictures, (so it did happen) I sure know I have one heck of a ways to go.

Many thanks for all the great information I keep getting from all you people. Your critique is welcomed.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Looking great Tony, the form is not to my liking, but hey, for a first, you done better than me!

Date it and keep it around, you will look back at it with a smile and a nod at some point!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Looks like you're off to a great start, Tony That's WAY better than my first bowl. The form's unique, but I like it. Shows you were thinking outside the bowl. Looks like you got a nice finish on it too, although I can still see a hint of a few sanding scratches on the inside. Not to worry though, it's a great first bowl for sure. You're a quick study.

I've been wondering how you were doing with the weather over in your neck of the ocean. You staying dry and attached to the land?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Very nice. I hope my first one finishes up as nicely!!

cheers eh?

Great looking bowl Tony. Finish looks very nice. Sign, date and keep this one to look back on a few years down the road. You will be amazed.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

My first "little" bowl

Hi all,

Thanks for the compliments and constructive criticism. It's welcomed.

Stu, on the style of the form, I was trying to see if I could get the bowl in a bowl effect. I think it worked. I would do a deeper curl-over on the lips next time, as a challenge. (I don't believe my first was better that yours. )

Vaughn, same goes for you. I fail to believe your first turnings were worse than mine. As to the finish, it's just three coats of paste wax, rubbed out with cotton cloth (tee shirt) and #00 steel wool between coats. I sanded with 80 D paper first (I have some A paper somewhere), then a 160 or 180 grit mesh (that's used to sand drywall mud) (because it's what I had) both with the lathe running and with it off to follow the grain some, then with 400 wet-or-dry, then the wax with the steel wool. I see those scratches. (and I am sure you noticed those lines around the outside?) I sanded two times in the sequence I stated. I'll have to work on that more next time. The end grain stood up real bad and that's why I re-sanded.
    Quick study, huh? Well, that's what I been told. I catch on fastest when I can get my hands on something and do it. I don't study well from books. Live training may be better, when I get to go to some turning classes, later. But actually, give me a machine, and I can usually find out to get the most from it, whether it's a lathe, drillpress, or a forklift. I am proud of the fact that with no formal training I can do what I do. (I simply amaze myself)

Thanks John. I am sure yours will be nice.

Bernie, I plan to keep this around just to remind me. I know I have much to learn and it's going to take a long time.

It's this kind of encouragement, and the fine examples of pieces from you folks, like Bernie, Vaughn, Stu, Chas and the others, do that gives me ideas, and inspiration.

Oh yeah, we are all doing fine over here. Ole' Flossie blew herself apart after passing by the south tip of the big island. Must have been all that hot lava flowing out of the island that scared her. We got some wind and a few showers. We were lucky, this time. Not like for Eva or Iniki. Thanks for asking.

Much Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Glad to hear that Tony. I was watching Ole Flossy pretty close and thinking about ya.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Glad to hear the Typhoon missed, Mom nature can be a bit of trouble

Here is my first bowl........

That is after it came off the lathe, I really was flying by the seat of my pants

LOTS of sanding and CA glue later.......

and the bottom...........

....sucks, you can still see 4 screw hole from the faceplate tons of cracks and it is not very round, it is not shinny either, so while it was a first, it mainly shows that I can learn and I can be taught!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

OK, here's my "first bowl" entry. (Should we start a new thread?)

Attachment 11621

It's dunno wood, about 3 1/2" wide by 3/4" tall, with thickness ranging from 0" at the rim to about 1/2" thick at the bottom. The picture looks much better than the bowl itself, but even the picture shows the tool marks on the inside. It sits on my dresser as a daily reminder. The date on the bottom says 7/2006, so it was made a little more than a year ago.

Mine doesn't have screw holes in it. Had plenty of wood left in the bottom for some, though.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well, here's mine...it's made from basswood at a Lee Valley seminar I took...