Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut off saws?.........

Cut off saws?.........

Does anyone know where one would get one of these saws, or at least a version of one? Maybe one that looks different but does exactly and only the same job? Smaller version, maybe? I'm not talking about the Sawstop part of it, just the square cutting part of it.

http://www.sawstop.com/products-future-products.htm (the chopsaw, not the Bandsaw )

I'm thinking about a saw for ONLY square cuts on rail and stile material for example. PERFECTLY square cuts on all three axes; No fejiggiting with angles or miters or dual sliding dados or slopes or cross-roundover-bevels, just square cuts.

Anyone have some advice, info or suggestions on this type of tool?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 11-24-2006 at 09:37 PM.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Steve Clardy Guest
    Several years ago I checked into a system for mitered picture frames.

I cannot remember the name of the Co., but looked like a good setup.

There's also a Co. out there that produces a cutoff machine, called Tiger stop. It's a high production machine.
    I think Cal Doors out of California has 30 some of those setup's

Griz has a couple versions...here's the low-cost one.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0502

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Griz has a couple versions...here's the low-cost one.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0502

Gee, I dunno Vaughn, do you think my 2 1/4" door frame material will fit on it? Or should I go with a bigger model?

I'm just looking for one that does say up to 4" to 6" material. Is it so hard to get a square cut??????????????????

I'm so frustrated.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 11-24-2006 at 10:47 PM.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Steve Clardy Guest
    Square cut.
    Reminds me of my sears radial saw I still have for rough cutoffs.

Bought it new in 86 I think.
    After 5-6 sears service man calls, coming out to get it right, and he never did, I just decided to give up on it.
    I've threatened to use it for a boat anchor a 100 times.
    Problem is, my boat hasn't seen water since 93, so I don't need an anchor.

The local Austin Hardware uses a Powermatic version of that cutoff saw. Works well and must hold up since it's in a commercial setting.

It's pretty safe. There's a top part that comes down on the wood and clamps it, and the blade moves upward to cut the piece. The blade drops, then the clamp part lets the wood go and you remove it.

Austin used to use a radial arm saw and put the PM in for safety reasons. Because of the way it's made, I don't think the SawStop technology would be of any value on it. You'd have to put your arm or fingers under the clamp part to cut yourself. You'd have to really work at it to hurt yourself.

A limitation is that it only cuts square across and no bevel. It's just a cutoff saw - no angles or bevels like you can do with a miter saw.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Steve Clardy Guest
    Found the one I was looking at a few years back. Pricey buggers.

http://www.framingsupplies.com/Pisto...ut_OffSaws.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Found the one I was looking at a few years back. Pricey buggers.

http://www.framingsupplies.com/Pisto...ut_OffSaws.htm
    Thanks Steve but,

The ones I see listed only make miter cuts. I don't want to make miter cuts at all with this machine. I'm looking for one that only makes straight, 90 degree cuts. Did I miss something?
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Several years ago I checked into a system for mitered picture frames.

I cannot remember the name of the Co., but looked like a good setup.

There's also a Co. out there that produces a cutoff machine, called Tiger stop. It's a high production machine.
    I think Cal Doors out of California has 30 some of those setup's
    Steve,

Actually, the Tiger Stop is just the measuring/fence part of the equation. You attach it to YOUR chop saw, miter saw, table saw, and now even sliding table saw.

I watched a demo at IWF, and what it does well is setting a fence for you, based on input on a digital screen. It was cool watching the fence glide into position back and forth for cut after cut, once the measurements were punched into the screen. But, if your saw isn't square, your exactly measured pieces won't be either....

Mark,

If all you're looking to do is make 100% accurate square cuts, how about a sled for your table saw? It doesn't take long to make one, and once done properly, it will produce PERFECT 90 degree cuts each and every time.

You could add all sorts of bells and whistles, to suit whatever special applications you might have...flip-stops for repeatable lengths, miter attachments, ZCI's for various blade widths, and even dado blades.

You could even make one, or an attachment to the one, for cutting miters...either adjustable or dead-on 45's.

Just a (cheap) thought...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Steve Clardy Guest
    Yes and no Marty. Heres a link with saw and tigerstop system, installed.
    You can adapt to your saw, or buy the complete package with another brand of saw.

http://www.tuckerandverlenden.com/