Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: metabo tools

metabo tools

i was searching amazon for different miter saws and came across metabo saws. then i realized i had seen these saws at the construction retailer where i bought my steel city TS. never having heard of them i dismissed them as some cheap alternative. but when i saw the price of their saws on amazon i reliazed they weren't cheap at all ranging from 400-700.

anyone know anything about this tool brand, the brand doesn't seem to be tai/chi but as we know that doesn't mean the tools aren't made there.

ps...not that i am bad mouthing tai/chi made tools

thanks
    chris

I think they are German tools. A guy at NCWW is selling a Metabo band saw and says it is a sweet saw. I think he is upgrading.

They are a long standing German company and as far as I know have a very good reputation. The only tool that I have that was made by Matebo is a Ridgid 6" ROS and I really like it and has worked well. I guess that it got too expensive for Home Depot as that unit is now made somewhere in Asia. If they had a product that I really liked I would not hesitate to buy it.

I might be wrong, but I think one or two of Mini max bandsaws maybe made by Metabo. Or maybe made sometime in the past.

I just seem to remember somewhere that Metabo and MM were used in the same sentence....

Joe

Metabo is a very good quality brand. Somewhere a touch below Festool and on a par with the best Bosch tools in the pro field. Until recently largere tools in the range were branded as Elektra Beckum but Metabo have recently changed everything to Metabo.

I have an 80mm disc sander(http://www.metabo.co.uk/metabo/handg..._00405_00.html) which is a fantastic tool and gets hammered by me frequently and just keeps coming back for more.

I also have two crosscut saws (http://www.metabo.co.uk/metabo/halbs...103001145.html) which I love. Sturdily built with a quiet, powerful induction motor.

Some of you will be familiar with the SXE450 sander but will have seen it wearing an orange overcoat and pretending to be a Ridgid sander (http://www.metabo.co.uk/metabo/handg..._00458_39.html) I have one of these and (sacrilege of sacrileges) use it in preference to my Festool sander in the same category.

Lastly - I have an Elektra Beckum tablesaw (http://www.metabo.co.uk/metabo/halbs...192593433.html) This is really more of a trade/hobby grade saw but it works and works and never moans about it.

You may get from this that I like Metabo and I do. I have never been disappointed in one of their products. No affiliation etc.
    Last edited by Ian Barley; 08-17-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Punctuation

What Ian said, great tools, and, if they are new to the US market, you might just get some real deals on them!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    What Ian said, great tools, and, if they are new to the US market, you might just get some real deals on them!
    Metabo, as a brand, is not new to the US market, although some Metabo items probably are. The Metabo Biscuit Jointer has been sold here for many years, as a matter of fact, "Norm" used one on his show for several years before he started using the PC model. The Metabo is reportedly very good quality tools, but expensive too. Early on, the Biscuit Jointer sold for $600 +, IIRC.

thanks ian! yup good stuff...
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

thanks everyone....good info as usual

i think i am going to make another trip to the store where i saw those miter saws and give them a good look over. also been wanting to get a 6" ROS but can't seem to make myself pull the trigger on festool. so i may give metabo a shot.

after searching their site i realized they make a ton of tools, but most of the bigger stuff isn't available here, only in europe. they also have a very curious looking little tool, a cross cut saw and mini table saw in one...check it out

http://www.metabo.com/metabo/halbsta...103300000.html

thanks again everyone
    chris

Never seen anything like that before!

Might be good for on the site work, maybe finishing?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward