Stools

Jeff Horton

As I said, I am ready to see some woodworking on this forum. So I decided to post these even though they are just simple foot stools thrown together.

One is a replacement for one my wife uses at Church. Another friend of ours commented after seeing the first one, that that was she she needed. Annise picked up on that and asked me to make her one too while I was at it. So I took some of the cuts off of walnut and made her one.

My wifes is some maple I had laying around. She like the wide top. For some reason when I applied the shellac the maple turned dark. It's ugly but it's just a foot steal and she really beats them up with her heels anyway.

101_0095.JPG 101_0096.JPG

I don't put a lot of effort into these. But I decided to play with some cutouts on the side. I have a project in mind and would have to cut a lot of these and thought this would be a good trial run.

Hi Jeff, :wave:
I think this is going to be a really good thread as there are foot stools and with the same shape sitting stools. Good start!
shaz
P.S. What are your angles?

Looks good.

I was finishing a cherry dresser and I grabbed what I thought was shellac that I mixed up in a jar sitting on my bench. Looked like Garnet, so, I started putting it on with a rag - just on the drawer fronts. Funny :huh:, the finish looked black - just in the pores. I then remembered that I had mixed up some Dye stain (blackish) for a mission style bookshelf made for a friend. By now you understand. So - off to the sander for some "loving restoration" of my gaff. I only say that because of your comment that you've never seen shellac make something really dark - I have :eek:

- Norb

This is a photo of a step stool I made about 20 years ago for my then tiny daughter.August2007 005.jpgAugust2007 007.jpgAugust2007 008.jpg
The legs were lumber core plywood cut the same on both ends and then I made a mat board template to stencil the trunk and then one for the apples. I thought I would do oranges on the other side but guess I didn't.:dunno: Oh well, she grew up and never knew the difference. :)

This is a step stool for my dog. As she gets older it becomes harder for her to get into the truck so I made her a step stool.:rolleyes:
She is so sweet, a golden retriever.

Attachments

• August2007 012_renamed_27353.jpg
    August2007 012_renamed_27353.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 32
I have made one of these step stools for each of my 8 grandchildren. The basic plan came with my Kreg jig. Each one has the child's initials and a penny for the year it was made.

Warren

Attachments

• stool.jpg
    stool.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 34
Very nice Warren. I have been tempted to make a nice one for my wife too. But I am always in a hurry and just slap them together real quick. Good thing I guess. The last one I made her.... she gave it away Sunday. :)

On older lady in the Church saw the one I made for Shelia. Was asking questions about it and wanted to know who made it. Shelia introduced us. Very sweet lady. Anyway she said "The Bible says you have not because you ask not" :rofl: What could I say to that?? Needless to say I was going to make her one too, especially after the way she asked. My wife stood up and said please take mine. I can get another and you won't have to wait. She was surprised and after some insisting she did take it. I saw her as we left showing it to some people outside.

So I whipped another one out. I thought about some Walnut and Maple but that would take some time and my wife needed one this Sunday. So once again I didn't do anything fancy. I had a large piece of old pine and I just slapped another one together. Wondering how many more I am going to have to make now? :D

stool3.jpg

...Wondering how many more I am going to have to make now? :D
I guess that's one of the downsides to making nice, usable stuff. People want more of it. ;) Nice job Jeff, and I think you should steal a page from Warren's book on the next one you make your wife. Maybe then she'll be a little less likely to give it a way. :p

OK, the doctor's in, everyone's stool looks OK, just fine in fact. Maybe a few could use a touch more fiber in their diets but, a fine looking collection of stools.

Nice job with the stools Jeff! A step stool was one of the few projects I made in 7th grade shop class...and like an idiot, during a cleaning frenzy, we sold it at a garage sale! :doh: (the $4 was life changing though....:rolleyes:)

Haven't made any step stools in my adult life, but just finished up some kitchen stools for our island last week...they were supposed to be store bought! :huh: They're made from hard maple scraps left over from the island I did a few weeks ago. I did make an ottoman a few years back, but can't find a pic! :dunno:

Attachments

• 000_0695.jpg
    000_0695.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 000_0694.jpg
    000_0694.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Nice job Scott. I like those. Next (??) on my list is an island for the kitchen. And we need to bar stools for ends. I like yours. Might design something along that line. Those look better than anything I have seen so far.

Nice job Scott. I like those. Next (??) on my list is an island for the kitchen. And we need to bar stools for ends. I like yours. Might design something along that line. Those look better than anything I have seen so far.

Originally Posted by Chris Barton
OK, the doctor's in, everyone's stool looks OK, just fine in fact. Maybe a few could use a touch more fiber in their diets but, a fine looking collection of stools.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Good for you Doc!!! We all need good "input", stuff we can use, and "output"( :eek: ) to keep us :huh: :rolleyes: errr ...:rolleyes: wonderfully regular. "Stools rule":thumb::rofl::rofl:
Shaz :D

Our stools are the result of a successful movement to expand the functionality of our kitchen to include non-traditional social activities formerly frowned upon by Victorian ettiquette. They were also part of an effort to make something useful from waste, by consuming more fiber and scraps. They're unlike most I've seen but they seem fairly consistent within the load....hard and heavy for their size too, and with no objectionable odor like some of the foreign stools. Fannies are definitely more comfortable since dropping these on the kitchen floor! :D

Last edited:
Our stools are the result of a successful movement to expand the functionality of our kitchen to include non-traditional social activities formerly frowned upon by Victorian ettiquette. They were also part of an effort to make something useful from waste, by consuming more fiber and scraps. They're unlike most I've seen but they seem fairly consistent within the load....hard and heavy for their size too, and with no objectionable odor like some of the foreign stools. Fannies are definitely more comfortable since dropping these on the kitchen floor! :D
:rofl::rofl:
Well thought out and executed, your stools and your writing.:D