TS splitter

Jeff Horton

OK one more more quick project.

I am a big believer in splitters on the TS. If I had an old guard I would probably cut it up. But since I don't I needed to make one. Again, I am a woodworker. Why should I buy what I can make from scraps??

101_0098.JPG 101_0099.JPG 101_0100.JPG

Trace the existing throat plate out on piece of scrap lumber. Plane it to thickness. Put on a small blade and let the fence hold the plate in place. Slowly raise the blade up into the plate. Cut the slot through the back and add a splitter. Mine just happened to be round because that was the stock I had. But I like the shape. It seems to start easier.

Another scrap pile freebie.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with shop made. That's all I've ever used. I use ply for the stability factor but probably don't need to. There's not that much change in the weather around here. I love the surfboard look. Mahalo.

Glenn beat me to the surfboard comment. I thought Barbie was gonna hit the waves. :p

Looks good, Jeff. Like Glenn said, nothing wrong with shop-made, and it's a good use of some of those little pieces of wood that a lot of us just can't seem to throw away.

That'll get the job done, Jeff. :thumb: I made my own too, but didn't use the right material (weak wood) and it didn't last long. :( Found a deal on an Excalibur Merlin and LOVE it.

BTW, for those who wish to do this, a riving knife shape may prove more benificial and even work with panel sleds (unlike my Merlin).;)

After losing part of my left-hand second finger I decided to fashion a splitter and blade guard.

splitter2.jpg

As far as I am concerned, a splitter and blade guard combo is the single most important table saw safety feature--yet the stock setup on most saws leaves a lot to be desired.

You can view and read about mine at:

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/howto_splitter.htm

Jack Loganbill
http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com

Nothing wrong with shop made. That's all I've ever used. I use ply for the stability factor but probably don't need to. There's not that much change in the weather around here. I love the surfboard look. Mahalo.

Geez - if I become a moderator will I sprout a beard like that overnight too?:D