Fishing Plug (lure) box

Aaron Beaver

I would like some design critiques of the two shelfs. Its for my Father-in-law for some antique fishing plugs he has.

All he told me was he needed 3 holes 3" tall by 2" wide the rest were 2" tall by 1" wide.

Picture on the left was keeping the cubby holes the same width which made for more rows and a taller shelf.

Second one is using the 2x1 holes to make fewer rows resulting in a shorter shelf.

The shelf no matter what will have a door on it, I am also trying to make the back with extra so I can carve a fish into it as you can see on the shelf on the left. It could be either at the top or bottom, not that he cares I am just trying to "fancy" it up a bit.

I am not to good at "designing" things yet so I thought I would get some opinions here. I was also considering making more cubby holes than he needs, either so he can get more later on (not sure he would though) or to put a few trinkets of other fishing items in to mix it up a bit.

Opinions please.

Attachments

• lureshelf.gif
    lureshelf.gif
    96.6 KB · Views: 46
I like the one on the right better. It has a little more eye appeal to me, and I think it will set off the 3 special loures better. Try sketching out the 3 larger spots on the one on the left to the second of the 4 rows (move that row up 2) and see what it looks like. It might make enough difference that it will have more appeal. Nice project!! Jim.

I like the one on the right better. It has a little more eye appeal to me, and I think it will set off the 3 special loures better. Try sketching out the 3 larger spots on the one on the left to the second of the 4 rows (move that row up 2) and see what it looks like. It might make enough difference that it will have more appeal. Nice project!! Jim.

Jim,

I moved the taller row on both of them just to see if it looks better.

Attachments

• lureshelf2.gif
    lureshelf2.gif
    89.9 KB · Views: 15
Yes, I think that highlights the 3 special ones a little better. I'd flip the right one so the decorative header is on top like the left one, if you plan to have one on it. Hopefully others will chime in also. Next thing, which way do you like it better, or better yet, which way does your FIL like better? (If it's not a surprise gift) Jim.

ps: If you have access to someone that does laser etching, etch the fish on the glass on the door of it, or onto the wood behind them. Just a thought.

ps: If you have access to someone that does laser etching, etch the fish on the glass on the door of it, or onto the wood behind them. Just a thought.

Funny you should mention that, I was considering loosing the decorative header all together and carve the fish on the back panel. It would be larger that way and still could be seen through the glass. The dividers and lures would break it up and make it not seen as well but I think that would be okay.

Jim or anyone,

What do you think of this version. I move the header back up top and moved it to the front. I may change the header design but not sure what it would be yet.

lure3.gif

Also put a top on it, not sure about the profile of it but its a start.
Thanks for looking

top.gif

Last edited: