Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Happy I Could................

So Happy I Could................

Sure am walking on cloud nine right now. Inherited the old wood shop in the high school that hasn't been used for about 3 years for a specific woods class. You can imagine the condition of it and the equipment!
    Have a class of 20 students, I know, a lot of kids, but am not going to
    "cut" anyone at this time. Purchased and today unpacked four JET minis,
    bought them from HUT for $339.00, three of them came with kits and
    bushings and equipment for making 10 pens, one came with equipment
    and such for making calls.
    Purchased from Sears two plunge routers and three scroll saws. School
    started for the students Tuesday, we have cleaned every shelf and
    restacked wood according to size and thrown out junk wood.
    Repositioned band saws, drill presses, radial arm saws, table saws, planer
    and jointer as well as work benches.
    Today I assigned three groups of three boys to each cabinet, clean out
    entirely and next week will paint and reconfigure and build shelves
    according to our needs. Hope to lag screw down the lathes and scroll
    saws next week and when we do, will post a picture. Will be hooking my
    computer up to the projector and showing pictures of your work to
    further encourage my students to strive for success and actually what
    successful work looks like. Sorry for rambling, just passionate.

Congrats and ..........

Thanks for teaching Jonathan!

Jonathan, congrats and good luck! Sounds like you have good start. I didn't take woodshop in high school, but my dad and grandpa had a construction business so I got to learn plenty. Sounds like the students wanted the class to start up again if you have 20 students signed up.

very cool jonathan! i hope the kids have a blast, sounds like you allready are.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Thanks Ken, did you decide on your retirement?
    Jeff, I cheated a little, last year knowing I wouldn't be team teaching a Science class I took in some pens from time to time, a kaleidoscope from time to time, a gavel, a keychain, a shop pencil, a handle for an ice cream scoop and things like that. I used that to determine a level of interest. Have about 8 kids that were in those science classes. Many are hunters so a very keen interest in making a call of some type. Yep, am probably as excited as they are!

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Jonathan,
    That's just great!

I remember my shop teacher as if he were standing right here in front of me. He had dark hair but was balding, short and always wore a dark grey or green shop coat like a doctor's smock. I couldn’t remember his name if you kicked me.

He had two class rooms side by side, one was wood working the other was a print shop complete with an old printing press where we learned to set type "by hand."

I remember going to classes with more than my share of printers ink on my hands and clothes. I remember making a letter opener out of colored Plexiglas but darn if I can remember making anything out of wood. I'm thinking that even though I can remember this man being soft-spoken and pretty easy to get along with, it was just a job to him.

When I finally did discover woodworking many, many years later, it was a thrilling concept to me. I will always regret those 30 odd years that wood working just wasn't part of my frame of reference.

My Father worked with tools all his life. I don't remember anything he couldn't fix. I believe that, as a teen, if I had gone to him and suggested we put some tools in our little garage and use it to "Make Stuff," he would probably have set up a bank account for me or something of that nature and used that to teach me to save money for what I wanted. (That was my Dad) I am sure though that he would have thought it a great idea.

Your excitement about this project will be the most valuable thing you can instill in these kids. I envy you your project and wish you the very best of luck.

Great job!

DT
    Last edited by Don Taylor; 08-17-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Hope it works out well for you, as a retired woody from 30 years in the mill, I know how you feel. Back in the dark ages when kids wanted to learn..... Blah Blah Blah... Keep us abreast of your progress.

Where are you located, that they are wise enough to rebirth industrial education?

COOL Sounds like you are having fun and the kids are too! Keep us informed on what's happening! Making some pens on the lathe should be a big hit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Thanks Ken, did you decide on your retirement?
    Jeff, I cheated a little, last year knowing I wouldn't be team teaching a Science class I took in some pens from time to time, a kaleidoscope from time to time, a gavel, a keychain, a shop pencil, a handle for an ice cream scoop and things like that. I used that to determine a level of interest. Have about 8 kids that were in those science classes. Many are hunters so a very keen interest in making a call of some type. Yep, am probably as excited as they are!
    Well Jonathan,

I have until the end of the month to fax in the application and it's not guarranteed. It's seems as they are only offering 500 and there's 5,000 + between me and the door. (I'm in the low 5,000 range ...less than 5100). The wife and I waffle from one minute to the next on whether to even apply....If I apply and get it, the new shop tools (PM 3520B, big bandsaw, Oneida DC and an 8" planer) will be on hold for 2 years until I can get to my 401K without penalties. It's really complex...I have bouts of vertigo attacks...2 weeks ago I had 9 attacks in 4 days......This week, so far, I'm clean....If I were to receive this I get an additional supplement that we won't get if I take a normal retirement in 2 years. But...then we'll have bought and paid for the equipment...have some more bills paid off....won't get the extra supplement but will be able to get to the 401K without paying penalties....I have 14 more days to eat waffles....

Ken

Jonathan, your enthusiasm is contagious! I'm excited for you, and I hope that you have a good year in that class...er...shop.

Nancy (126 days)
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.