So Happy I Could................

Sure am walking on cloud nine right now. Inherited the old wood shop in the high school that hasn't been used for about 3 years for a specific woods class. You can imagine the condition of it and the equipment!
Have a class of 20 students, I know, a lot of kids, but am not going to
"cut" anyone at this time. Purchased and today unpacked four JET minis,
bought them from HUT for $339.00, three of them came with kits and
bushings and equipment for making 10 pens, one came with equipment
and such for making calls.
Purchased from Sears two plunge routers and three scroll saws. School
started for the students Tuesday, we have cleaned every shelf and
restacked wood according to size and thrown out junk wood.
Repositioned band saws, drill presses, radial arm saws, table saws, planer
and jointer as well as work benches.
Today I assigned three groups of three boys to each cabinet, clean out
entirely and next week will paint and reconfigure and build shelves
according to our needs. Hope to lag screw down the lathes and scroll
saws next week and when we do, will post a picture. Will be hooking my
computer up to the projector and showing pictures of your work to
further encourage my students to strive for success and actually what
successful work looks like. Sorry for rambling, just passionate.

Jonathan, congrats and good luck! Sounds like you have good start. I didn't take woodshop in high school, but my dad and grandpa had a construction business so I got to learn plenty. Sounds like the students wanted the class to start up again if you have 20 students signed up. :thumb:

Thanks Ken, did you decide on your retirement?
Jeff, I cheated a little, last year knowing I wouldn't be team teaching a Science class I took in some pens from time to time, a kaleidoscope from time to time, a gavel, a keychain, a shop pencil, a handle for an ice cream scoop and things like that. I used that to determine a level of interest. Have about 8 kids that were in those science classes. Many are hunters so a very keen interest in making a call of some type. Yep, am probably as excited as they are!

Jonathan,
That's just great! :thumb:

I remember my shop teacher as if he were standing right here in front of me. He had dark hair but was balding, short and always wore a dark grey or green shop coat like a doctor's smock. I couldn’t remember his name if you kicked me. :huh:

He had two class rooms side by side, one was wood working the other was a print shop complete with an old printing press where we learned to set type "by hand." :eek: :rofl:

I remember going to classes with more than my share of printers ink on my hands and clothes. I remember making a letter opener out of colored Plexiglas but darn if I can remember making anything out of wood. I'm thinking that even though I can remember this man being soft-spoken and pretty easy to get along with, it was just a job to him.

When I finally did discover woodworking many, many years later, it was a thrilling concept to me. I will always regret those 30 odd years that wood working just wasn't part of my frame of reference.

My Father worked with tools all his life. I don't remember anything he couldn't fix. I believe that, as a teen, if I had gone to him and suggested we put some tools in our little garage and use it to "Make Stuff," he would probably have set up a bank account for me or something of that nature and used that to teach me to save money for what I wanted. (That was my Dad) I am sure though that he would have thought it a great idea.

Your excitement about this project will be the most valuable thing you can instill in these kids. I envy you your project and wish you the very best of luck.

Great job! :clap::clap::clap:

DT

Last edited:
Hope it works out well for you, as a retired woody from 30 years in the mill, I know how you feel. Back in the dark ages when kids wanted to learn..... Blah Blah Blah... Keep us abreast of your progress.

Where are you located, that they are wise enough to rebirth industrial education?

COOL:thumb: Sounds like you are having fun and the kids are too! Keep us informed on what's happening! Making some pens on the lathe should be a big hit!

Thanks Ken, did you decide on your retirement?
Jeff, I cheated a little, last year knowing I wouldn't be team teaching a Science class I took in some pens from time to time, a kaleidoscope from time to time, a gavel, a keychain, a shop pencil, a handle for an ice cream scoop and things like that. I used that to determine a level of interest. Have about 8 kids that were in those science classes. Many are hunters so a very keen interest in making a call of some type. Yep, am probably as excited as they are!

Well Jonathan,

I have until the end of the month to fax in the application and it's not guarranteed. It's seems as they are only offering 500 and there's 5,000 + between me and the door. (I'm in the low 5,000 range ...less than 5100). The wife and I waffle from one minute to the next on whether to even apply....If I apply and get it, the new shop tools (PM 3520B, big bandsaw, Oneida DC and an 8" planer) will be on hold for 2 years until I can get to my 401K without penalties. It's really complex...I have bouts of vertigo attacks...2 weeks ago I had 9 attacks in 4 days......This week, so far, I'm clean....If I were to receive this I get an additional supplement that we won't get if I take a normal retirement in 2 years. But...then we'll have bought and paid for the equipment...have some more bills paid off....won't get the extra supplement but will be able to get to the 401K without paying penalties....I have 14 more days to eat waffles....:D

Ken

Well Jonathan,

I have until the end of the month to fax in the application and it's not guarranteed. It's seems as they are only offering 500 and there's 5,000 + between me and the door. (I'm in the low 5,000 range ...less than 5100). The wife and I waffle from one minute to the next on whether to even apply....If I apply and get it, the new shop tools (PM 3520B, big bandsaw, Oneida DC and an 8" planer) will be on hold for 2 years until I can get to my 401K without penalties. It's really complex...
I have bouts of vertigo attacks...2 weeks ago I had 9 attacks in 4 days......This week, so far, I'm clean....
Jonathon Do you take anything for your vertigo. I feel your pain in this regard. The world goes around and there's nothing you can do but ride it out.!

It's at this time that I wish posters to this forum and others for that matter, would let us in on the other parts of their lives that we know nothing about.

People: please fill in your interests etc., in your "User CP". How else will we ever become a real community if we don't know about each other.!

Jonathon; I'm have a little difficulty understanding exactly what your situation is. I'm surmising you have the opportunity to take over a shop class in a school. I'm not sure if this is at your expense or the school board. Nevertheless, it sounds like a great opportunity and you appear to be the perfect person for that job. I look forward to hearing more from you!!:thumb:

Good luck Jonathon!! Sounds like a wonderful situation. If you can instill the love for making something, it will stick with them the rest of their lives. One day they will be sitting here talking about their shop teacher. The question is, will they remember your name? :D Have fun! And Nancy's right...your love for this is contageous. The kids will see that. Jim.

Well Jonathan,

I have until the end of the month to fax in the application and it's not guarranteed. It's seems as they are only offering 500 and there's 5,000 + between me and the door. (I'm in the low 5,000 range ...less than 5100). The wife and I waffle from one minute to the next on whether to even apply....If I apply and get it, the new shop tools (PM 3520B, big bandsaw, Oneida DC and an 8" planer) will be on hold for 2 years until I can get to my 401K without penalties. It's really complex...I have bouts of vertigo attacks...2 weeks ago I had 9 attacks in 4 days......This week, so far, I'm clean....If I were to receive this I get an additional supplement that we won't get if I take a normal retirement in 2 years. But...then we'll have bought and paid for the equipment...have some more bills paid off....won't get the extra supplement but will be able to get to the 401K without paying penalties....I have 14 more days to eat waffles....:D

Ken
Ken if you are over 55 and away from your job you can get to your 401k from that job...
The rules are rather complex but I did some research and basically if you leave your employer and are over 55 you can basically treat your 401k as if you were 59 1/2. So if that is part of your decision making process please research it for yourself and your own benifit. I can give you pointer if needed. I would have to look them up again..

Garry

Don, I teach both welding and now woodworking. Tell my kids, welding is a good career and through my three semester welding curriculum, they can now walk onto the floor of two semi trailer plants, two container plants and one plant that retrofits handicap lifts. Starting wages, $14.00 an hour. Now my woodworking kids I tell them this is my way of regaining my sanity and enjoying life. I give more away than I sell, but both ways make me equally happy.

Bill S. -- bite your tongue calling me an industrial arts teacher. Industrial arts has gone the way of the computer and popsicle sticks. Ag. Ed. isn't far behind but as most that know me consider me a dinosaur. I farm my small farm with a tractor and team of small horses, still prefer to teach skills and use a computer for gathering information instead of doing the work for me. So this is an Agriculture shop incorporating this.

Ed -- some of the boys are anticipating it, the others don't seem to understand what they have gotten into, but will have them "hook, line and sinker pretty soon!!!!!!!".

Ken -- don't forget the syrup!!! Utilize some of these retirement planners and make a planned decision. My dad sold his gas station, then five years later the farm, then had colon cancer. He is now a survivor of cancer for over five years but has some limitations. Glad he did what he did and he enjoys each day. In fact they are having their old age home built on our farm now so I inherit the task of taking care of them in the future.

Nancy -- will be talking with you about some lasering/engraving. Ken has done a great job for me and will continue using him, but want my students to experience different people and scenarios. Look forward to working with you in the future.

Mack -- I actually am an Agriculture Education Instructor and my welding classes are always booked solid with students. Have for the past eight years or so team taught half days off of the campus site on an eight acre parcel of land a Science teacher and I acquired and through grants of over $600,000.00 built buildings and barns and greenhouses and taught many hands on skills. Indiana like many school corporations experiencing declining enrollment is hurting for money so our off campus site was closed for lack of funding (not enrollment). I had already given my small and large engines classes to the Industrial Arts teacher as he was having a tough time and disliked wood working other than framing. School board okayed a four thousand expenditure, I have worked hard and finagled (sp?) a lot. I always spend the school's money like my own and try to get a $1.25 for every dollar spent! Does this help?

John -- yep, I hope so. Everyone just needs time to relax and not have to be critically thinking all of the time. I tell my students that, but wait until they are measuring their pen shafts, I KNOW I can sneak some math and critical thinking skills in on them!!!!!!

Jim -- Thanks for the compliment. I don't care if they remember my name, but I will smile in heaven if they continue a love affair with woodworking!!!

Last edited:
Jonathan,

You sound so much like my dearly departed Ag-Shop teacher, Mr. Edward J. Fauler. I first met him in 7th grade wood shop class, (yes, with his grey shop coat) and he impressed me as one of the most caring persons in my educational history. I went on to spend the rest of my Jr. & high school years in both Vo-Ag and shop classes until I graduated. I learned welding, woodworking and farming from this man, as well as everyday common sense on many, many things in life. I also had other wood and metal shop teachers in my high school years as they expanded those programs when we got into our new school campus in 1955, but even though I had a great repore with both of the men who taught in those more specialized classes, I was still taking Ag classes from Mr. Fauler. He even allowed me to assist him, during my senior year, with the adult eduaction welding classes he taught evenings. I felt pretty proud of that. I was sure that I was helping many of the local area farmers and other adult students, all of whom were older than I, to learn welding. Mr Fauler so impressed a cousin of mine that he went on to college and returned to our school to take over the Ag dept. where Mr. Fauler left off when he retired. Nobody could ever fill those shoes and he was held in the highest esteem by everyone. His passing was a sad day indeed.

I believe you are and are going to be that kind of teacher for your kids. It's good to know that there are still some really dedicated educators out there.

The best of luck to you. I think I would love to be one of those kids you will be teaching. They are the lucky ones.

Aloha, Tony
1959 graduate of Westfield Academy & Central School
Westfield, New York

Last edited: