Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shop Built Bandsaw Tensioner?

Shop Built Bandsaw Tensioner?

Does anyone have any pictures or plans on how to make a quick release for your bandsaw tensioner?

I'd like to get a 'real' one, but at 150$, just wondering if there was a clever home-made alternative...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

never saw the need for one brent? i just leave her cranked up ready to go...
    it`s my understanding(and experience) that if you don`t leave your saw sit for weeks on end that you`ll be fine leaving it tensioned.
    sorry no pics
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Well, that certainly fits the bill of being cheap and easy

To tell the truth, that's all I've ever done. I may release the tension on mine once or twice a year, if I remember, but I kind of like it being ready to go...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I used all-thread to replace the threaded part & extended it up higher & made a crank style one & just crank it back 3 turns. Remember it doesn't have to be complicated to work.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Brent,

I know what you are looking for. I saved the plan back somewhere but cannot find it now. I was going to do the same thing when I got time. I think that Bill Esposito had it published in one of the woodworking magazines within the past year. If I can't find the plan or article I might just do what Bart is talking about.

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    I found it!

It's on the way to you email Brent

DT

Shop Built Bandsaw Tensioner

Hi Don,

Could you send me that tensioner plan too, pretty please?

Thank you kind Sir.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

I'm with Todd on this one, I have been working wood for 15 plus years and never once de-tensioned my bandsaw and never had a trouble. In fact back when I worked for the railroad and was on duty for 12 weeks at a time, (out of state/ country) it would mean my saws would sit for months unused. Again never had an issue.

As a side note, our bandsaw for our newer sawmill has ten times the tension, ten times the stress and it does not have as de-tensioner on it either. Personally I think its someone's off-beat idea that has some how morphed into one of those things every woodworker now just has to do.

Thats just my humble opinion though...
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I take the tension off Big Blue, but, but only because it takes just a jiffy to do so, I did something similar to Bart, it is a crank, I crank it 8 times and I'm ready to roll, tracking is not really much of an issue with a blade that is just under 2 1/2" wide, with FLAT wheels to match

For the Phoenix, I use the flutter method for tensioning the blade, works great.

For me, there seems to be way too many dials, and really precise measurements sneaking into woodworking, nothing wrong with something made right and to good specs, but the whole "My tablesaw's top is out two thousands of an inch over 2 feet" is a little much, for me, but again, that is just my humble opinion.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The de-tension or not-to-detension argument needs to start with which kind of bandsaw.

My 14 inch bandsaw has crowned wheels, with relatively soft rubber tires (only relatively), and the blade rides in the center of the wheels, so the tires are working against the set of the teeth. As a $350 bandsaw the bearings are fine, but would never support a tank. I detension the blade as directed.

My 24 inch bandsaw has flat wheels, with relatively hard rubber tires, and the blade runs at the edge of the wheel, with the teeth hanging over the edge. As a $3500 bandsaw, the bearings would not only probably support a tank, but might cut one in half. Although the owner's manual recommends detensioning, I only do so if the saw will be unused for an extended period (i.e. rarely).

Ironically, detensioning the big saw, run with 25000 psi tension, is easy. Detensioning the little saw, run at much lower tension, is hard without the detension lever, because of the small knob in an inconvenient place.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com