Oneida DC...Owners or Advisors........

tod....I'm very closed minded.:rolleyes:

What do you have in mind?

Ken,

I'm on the phone with tod right now. You'll have to wait until he gets back to the shop in the morning for more of his hillbilly words of wisdom.

In the mean time, have you ever looked at the DC system he and I designed and I built for my new shop? I have less than the cost of just the Oneida cyclone invested in the ENTIRE SYSTEM, spiral ducting included! ;) Not to mention, I don't have to even think about emptying it until I have a few HUNDRED gallons of chips in it! :D

Is it as effecient as an Onieda cyclone? Maybe not, but it's close enough to justify the amazing cost savings! Not to mention, a properly designed system could be used to collect all the curlies coming off that spinny equipment! :thumb:

I also created a thread showing the supplier I used for my spiral ducting. Don Taylor recently availed himself of that vendors services and he seems as pleased as I am...both in product quality and way-cheaper-than-oneida pricing!

I'm sure tod will add more in the morning when he gets back to the shop. Stay open minded until then...:huh:

- Marty -

ken, if you have the time and inclination? large material handling fans can be had used for pennys on the dollar, ones like i have are belt driven so a motor/pulley combination to suit your power capibilities and airflow needs is a matter of common sense. most "pumps" the fan and motor combination, are relatively small and can be mounted to your choice of chip seperator/filter combination including the common cyclone and pleated filter combo. that`s so popular with the hobbiest crowd. the pump i use is an old cast iron monster with babbit bearings that i`ve hooked a 5hp motor to and i guarantee it`ll outsuck any 3500-4k system sold today! i have less than 300 bucks in the entire pump! the beauty (besides cost) of designing your own system is that you can place any componant where you want, for instance, you could put a small cyclone with a can right near the planer while the pump is in the attic or another room, the filters can be of your own design using off the shelf bags or cartridges depending on your needs?
with the commercially available set-ups you`re pretty much stuck with loosing a 36" square of floorspace to the ceiling minimum then you must design your piping system to fit the unit, with a home built system the piping system can be made as flexable as you choose, pump in one location/chip collector in another and filter(s) in yet another, the pump can be configured in a push or pull or even both set-up as you choose?
the bottom line here is if you`re willing to invest some time it`s possible to build a vastly superior, completely servicable system for a fraction of what the "all in one box" systems cost.
tod

I also created a thread showing the supplier I used for my spiral ducting. Don Taylor recently availed himself of that vendors services and he seems as pleased as I am...both in product quality and way-cheaper-than-oneida pricing! Marty -

I might add to that, I needed a four way outlet for the pipe coming down to the center of the shop where the table saw, jointer and planer will be located.
(one for the tablesaw/shark guard with the blast gate above two outlets.)

I could find three ways but not four. I know that I could have added a two way to to one of the three ports but it made a clunky looking mess. Bruce said "No problem" and made me the four way. He will email me when it is finished. :thumb:

DT

are you out there in cyberland ken?

another thought before you start cuttin` checks......know your machines and their suction requirements and design a piping system before you make the pump/cyclone decision....even if you only price out the piping system and do a bar napkin sketch you`ll be much better equiped to make decisions on the actual pump...
lotsa folks are floored when they discover that actually hooking the darn thing up to the equipment costs more and is much more labor intensive than hooking up the pump itself.
also take into consideration chip disposal.....given that you`re spinnin` more than jointing (for now;)).....small containers might be okay but when you decide to process 250bf for a family project do you want to shut down and empty a small hopper every 15-20 min.?
apply a generous dose of common sense to the design and execution of your dust system and you`ll be much more likely to use and enjoy having it instead of doin` the shoulda-coulda routine we`ve all done on various things...

Tutorial?

Okay Tod and Marty. Greatly interested as I am going to be building/converting a building into a dedicated woodshop soon. Always up to building more than paying heck look at my combine front end loader and you will know what I mean!!! Do you have a tutorial for this building process? And yep, I am into the turning thing but do process a little wood through my planer from time to time. Have a leanto off of the South end of the building, figuring on putting a gravity wagon (a hopper wagon for corn) under this roof and dumping my sawdust in that . The fall during harvest I am to busy to do much woodworking so the loss of the wagon during that time won't be much of a hassle. Regardless of Ken's thoughts, could you please continue sharing???
Edited to add, the equipment I currently own and plan on hooking up are a tablesaw, bandsaw, jointer, planer, lathe, two sanding stations and when I convert either the old table saw or the yard sale lathe into a 12" sanding station, three sanding stations. Also a sliding compound miter saw, miter saw, and probably a table top collecting hood for cleaning the table around the scroll saw.

Last edited:
jonathan, have you read martys birth of a shop thread? it`s long.....but you can search out the dust collection system, it`s actually near the end.
i`ll be happy to help or answer any questions you might have?

[edit] stu built his own system too using the bill pentz design and has it well documented!

Tod, no I haven't read that yet. Will do that as well as check what Stuart had to say. Appreciate the lead on this thread. I would rather sweat building my own than sweat working to buy someone else's.

jonathan, have you read martys birth of a shop thread? it`s long.....but you can search out the dust collection system, it`s actually near the end.
i`ll be happy to help or answer any questions you might have?

[edit] stu built his own system too using the bill pentz design and has it well documented!

Jonathan,

At the risk of high-jacking Ken's thread, here's a link into the guts of my shop thread that is right around when I started actually constructing the plenum portion of the dust collection system...link...it's right around post 1124, if that link fails for some reason.

The technical discussions surrounding the principals involved started before that, but the above link will put you into the build time. If you're interested, read back a ways and you'll find the technical stuff.

Basically, we designed a 'drop-box' system, followed by a plenum with (too many) industrial filter bags. The drop box is constructed with a series of baffles, and rubber inner tube skirts. The chip and dust laden air enters the drop-box via the material handling blower. The baffles and skirts slow the large particles down to the point of them loosing enough velocity to fall from the stream. The (mostly) cleansed air stream then continues on to the plenum, which is in an air-tight room in a shed behind the shop. The filter bags trap what's left after the drop-box, and return my conditioned air to the shop.

Read through the thread, and you'll see that the drop-box for my shop is 4x8 x 4, 128 cubic feet. So, I don't have to empty it all that often. And even when I do, I just recently had a pulley and winch system installed that allows me to pull the trailer-mounted drop-box out into a field and tip it to empty it.

Pretty neat stuff...and surprisingly efficient. Plus, it's scalabale to the available space you have.

If you have additional questions, it might be better to start a new thread. Ken might be interested in some of this, but it's anything BUT Onieda! :rolleyes:

Sorry Ken...
- Marty -

Dont' be sorry Marty....I'm open to ideas. I won't pull the trigger for 4 more weeks adn after a lot of reading last night, I might just buy the tools, figure and redesign the dc ports on the tools and then order or make a system.

Ken, (and Jonathan),

Ned was kind enough to create a new thread...here...to further discuss the "home-made" dust collection options.

Now this thread can continue without tod and I interrupting! :rofl::rofl:

Seriously Ken, I'll be watching both threads. I just think the home made option is different enough that it deserved a new thread. Hope you agree...;)

- Marty -

Tod, no I haven't read that yet. Will do that as well as check what Stuart had to say. Appreciate the lead on this thread. I would rather sweat building my own than sweat working to buy someone else's.

Johnathan, you can build your own, easy, you have many more things within reach than I did. Space was a BIG problem for me, as well as getting the material.

My little saga starts here.... Cyclone

........ I think there are four pages of stuff :rolleyes:

One of the biggest things I'd do different is to buy the right motor, and buy the right sized impeller, my motor is a bit slow, and my impeller could be another inch bigger, but my system really does suck! :D
The other thing I'd do differently is to buy a power nipper for cutting the sheet metal, my hand was sore for a week afterwards!

Marty and Tod are right about a LOT of things (no real surprises there eh? :thumb:) and one of the things is the bin that you use to deposit the sawdust into, does not have to be round, a square box on the bottom of a cyclone sealed up right, on a cart or trailer would work just fine, when it gets full, just unhook it and tow it away and dump it.

I like the cyclone, as the filters on mine are staying REALLY clean, even after a fair bit of use, they are still really clean (I've stuck a camera up inside of them and taken a picture, they are still nice and blue on the inside).

If you have some space, and you DO have the skills, and the desire to build one, you can do it for sure, Marty and are on one the two extremes, he built a rather unconventional that many, including me, did not think would work, but he proved us all wrong (I actually enjoyed that!) but he had the space etc. A lot of guys stuck in a basement (ME!) with limited space opt for a cyclone. I also completely understand the idea of buying a plug and play unit, but that was NOT an option for me, simply, if I wanted a cyclone I'd have to build one, so I did! :wave:

Cheers!

Edit, Ken, apologies for the hijack, I'd not read Marty's last post about Ned's thread :eek:

Last edited:
I picked up one of the "old school" Oneida cyclones with the internal filters and a 1.5 hp motor. I was a little leery that it would not do an adequate job, since I have read the Bill Pentz site stating that you need at least 3 hp, a huge fan, and only certain designs will perform well. However, for the price I was able to pick this one up, I had to buy it . . . plus, I would still not have gotten the home made cyclone even close to finished yet.

I am very imressed with the performance, and do not notice much, if any, dust even on my table saw, which is one of my worst offenders because it is so often used and generates such fine dust. I would imagine that even a 2hp unit would do the job for most hobbyists, but I would probably go 3hp if the upgrade was trivial in cost, especially if my runs were long.

here`s an idea:eek:......call folks with various systems and have `em open a 6" gate while you`re on the phone.....you`ll be able to hear the amount of air movement through a 6" pipe it should be plenty loud to hear! if it`s kinda quiet chances are there`s not much air flowing.....not real scientific but one way to do an armchair inspection of a few systems from around the country for a few cents a min.........maybe check a few off the list?