Transition Strip Question *Done*

matt, i made one for a friend because he needed it to be 15' long and didn't wanna splice it. what i did was take a piece of red oak about 2" wide, i believe it was 13/16" thick. i set the table saw at about 15 degrees, i cut a scrap piece to see where to set the fence, you may need to play with that angle as well. i layed the 2" piece on edge and i shot for making the angle start 1/4" from the bottom and stop about mid way through the 2" width on top. this allows your foot to have a nice angle to hit coming up from the lower floor. then i did the opposite side, i think i used a larger angle for this one and started the angle about 5/8 from the bottom, which will leave the same 1/4" reveal from the floor as the other side. i also tried to make it work out so there was about a 1/2" flat surface on the top between the 2 angles. you may just need to do some test pieces on some scraps. finally i rabbited out half of the piece 3/8" deep on the second side.

hope that was clear....sorry so long.

let me know if you have questions

good luck
chris

I think we're all talking about the same thing here. I had to make a transition from the parque entry to the vinyl flooring in the hall when I cut the opening to LOML Studio.(yeah, she's the only one in our family with a studio.:D) I cut the "ramp" the same on both sides, but cut the rabbit in the parque floor side deeper so that the transition sits flat on the slab. Mine was also wider, about 5" IIRC. I had cut a wall out for the opening, so had a 3 1/2" span of slab between the 2 surfaces. I did find a picture of the finished piece installed. Hoped I had a picture of the profile, but I guess not. DSCN1345.jpg Hope this helps. Jim.

That works!! Very similar to what I did, but I cut to fill the reveal on both sides of the trim for the door opening, and your's looks to be a little thicker wood. It ended up being a press fit, no fasteners...wait... I think I did use a few globs of silicone.

Good Job!! Jim.