Shop made duplicator for a mini?

Sean Wright

If down the road I decide to take a leap in to turning, I would probably start off with Jet Mini, or something along those lines. I have heard good things about it, especially the VS model.

One of the things that sparks my interest in turning is the ability to make round legs for tables and stands. However I would need them to be the same. I know that there are duplicators for use on large lathes. Are there any for use on the mini lathes?

Has anyone made a dulicator for their lathe? (Stu?? ;)) If so I would be interested in seeing how it was done.

Thanks!

I've seen duplicators for minis, if you are turning legs you will need an extension

I think you would be better off just learning how to turn table legs without a duplicator. It quicker to turn a leg free hand then using a duplicator. It's really not that hard to make the legs the same.

Not only that but you can get a better finish before sanding using a skew than any duplicator can produce.

Sean just get the Jet Mini VS and make your own legs freehand. Ron hit the nail on the head. You can do it faster freehand, just as accurate and get a better finish with a skew. Now jump right into the vortex.

Sean, of course I could make a duplicator for the mini lathe, :rolleyes:;):D

but I agree with the others, why would you want to?:dunno:

If you want legs that are exactly the same, buy some, made on a CNC router set up.:thumb:

The thing is, you can learn how to make "Similar" legs fairly easily.:wave:

The do not have to be "Exactly" the same, and in fact, you don't want them to be EXACTLY the same. Stuff made in a factory, sold by the big chain stores will have all parts exactly the same, custom bespoke work, has handmade parts.

Just my take on this subject.

Cheers!

I am not an advocate of the duplicator for a lathe (unless for production work) Any skilled turner can master duplication in exactly the same way that a duplicator works. My suggestion is to make a full scale drawing of the turning. Adhere it to a piece of paneling/1/4" ply, hardboard, or MDF What ever is convenient, Put in all necessary measurements etc. diameters in the valleys and the crown diameters as well as the distance between criticle points. Place this mock-up, in sight, behind your lathe, Turn your blank and make criticle markings, Use calipers and parting tool to set depths etc. Follow through with appropriate tools (no need to explain the turning process but follow this with each and every leg and they will be a match.) More times you do this, the better you will be at duplication.

Oftentimes a turner is werry of screwing up, So what! If you don't screw up a few how will you know when you get it right? Some call themselve accomplished turners when they cant follow a specific plan for one turning , let alone multiple turnings.

Not to preach but, learn to follow a specific design plan and then duplication is a snap. When I was in school, we were given 6 pieces of wood and told to copy a design and 4 had to match, I usually had 2 left over. It is simply a matter of having a plan , have the plan where you can see it and retrieve measurements, duplicate those measurements onto the work and Follow you own procedures repeatedly.