Birdseye Maple bookcase

Update...face frames and mock up

Just an update on my progress. I have the two outside cabinet face frames glued on. One is already dry and out of the clamps, the other one is still in the clamps....I need more clamps.

I then put one of the raised panel doors in front of the cabinet to give you an idea what it is supposed to look like when I am done.

Now all that is left is glueing on the face frame to the large center cabinet...when I can get my clamps off, that is.

I still have some touch up sanding to do on the cabinets before I spray on the pre-catalyzed laquer....which brings me to that subject. The cut and paste I did earlier on the finish I planned on using was for a waterborne pre-cat laquer. After a conversation with Keith July who has been using this finish for a while now, I won't be using the Hydrocote pre-cat laquer finish.....this is the correct finish I will be using.

Magna-Shield® is a self-sealing, VOC compliant, non-yellowing, super-tough and durable pre-catalyzed lacquer. It combines durability, chemical resistance and fast build similar to a conversion varnish or post-catalyzed lacquer. However, unlike other high resistance finishes, Magna-Shield™ can be recoated anytime with no window of recoat ability or restrictions on number of coats applied.

Available in high gloss (90% sheen), gloss (75% sheen), satin (45%), dull satin (25%) and matte sheen (12%) in gallons, 5 gallon pails, and 55 gallon drums.

Attachments

• 100_2971.jpg
    100_2971.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_2980.jpg
    100_2980.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_2978.jpg
    100_2978.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_2983.jpg
    100_2983.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_2986.jpg
    100_2986.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 23
Do you have a full spray booth or is this water borne as well? I am curious to what you think of the finish once you spray it.

The bookcases look good, albeit there are a lot of them!

Do you have a full spray booth or is this water borne as well? I am curious to what you think of the finish once you spray it.

The bookcases look good, albeit there are a lot of them!

Travis, as of right now I do not have a dedicated spray booth. I have a shop 32x48x10 of which 32x32 of that is currently my woodshop. I am in the thought process of how I am going to renovate the remaining 16x32 into a:

8x8 furnace room, a 8x8 room for air compressor and dust collector which will leave me roughly 16x24 for a dedicated finish room.

The only finish I have sprayed so far in my shop is Zar polyurethane.

I know Keith July was following this thread and has used many finishes in his woodworking endeavors...perhaps he'll chime in here with his thoughts on pre-catalyzed laquer or maybe a PM to him will give you the answers you are looking for....I'm a newbie to pre-catalyzed laquer but I know Keiths stuff sure looks good.

Steve Ash; .perhaps he'll chime in here with his thoughts on pre-catalyzed laquer or maybe a PM to him will give you the answers you are looking for....I'm a newbie to pre-catalyzed laquer but I know Keiths stuff sure looks good.[/QUOTE said:
I have used pre-cat on kitchen cabinets,entertainment centers,dining tables and chairs,side tables and a rocking horse to name a few. The pre-cat I use is a solvent based finish. This finish dries pretty fast so dust settling on your work is not as big of a concern as slow drying finishs. I use a HVLP conversion gun. It's a $39.00 gun from HF. The gun is OK but I would like to invest in a true HVLP in the near future. It's just one more thing on a long wish list.
Keith

Another update

I had a bit of a problem, I split one of the face frames right in the 3/4 inch backside dado groove. I had these frames in my office for safekeeping, when I took the big center section face frame out to the shop to sand and fit, I split about 8 " at the bottom when I was tapping the frame on the plywood carcase. It seems the face frame changed a bit from the dry office to when I built it in the shop. I glued up the split and clamped it overnight. Then I made the groove just a bit wider than it previously was.

So after the fix, I glued and clamped the face frame to the cabinet and let it sit over night. This morning I took off the clamps and "mocked up" the bookcase with doors sitting on various pieces to give my customer a visual of what it is going to look like now that all but the dentil, crown and base moldings are done.

Attachments

• 100_3073.jpg
    100_3073.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3055.jpg
    100_3055.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_3053.jpg
    100_3053.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_3049.jpg
    100_3049.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_3074.jpg
    100_3074.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 10
Steve,

Keep the updates coming! This is really nice work.

So, judging by what my own reaction would have been, was your first impulse to throw something across the shop:bang: , fall to your knees and look heavenward asking 'why me? :dunno: , or just say 'oops, looks like I've got some fixin' to do? :doh:

Steve,

Keep the updates coming! This is really nice work.

So, judging by what my own reaction would have been, was your first impulse to throw something across the shop:bang: , fall to your knees and look heavenward asking 'why me? :dunno: , or just say 'oops, looks like I've got some fixin' to do? :doh:

Rennie, since the fix didn't require the use of power tools, I went to the fridge grabbed a cold beer....pondered what to do....grabbed another cold beer.....got out the glue and clamps.....grabbed one more cold beer and fixed it. :D

Rennie, since the fix didn't require the use of power tools, I went to the fridge grabbed a cold beer....pondered what to do....grabbed another cold beer.....got out the glue and clamps.....grabbed one more cold beer and fixed it. :D

I got me one of them fridges too, full of beer all the time, neat thing eh? ;) :D

Your mock up sure looks good!

looking great steve, keep the updates comin, glad you were able to fix the frame without too much trouble. i'm sure it seemed less important after that 3rd trip to the fridge...:D

chris

aint tht the truth!!

i just so happened to drop in after the fix was made and he still was repairin his self esteem had me help too:D but he had all the hard work done.. hey steve ya got a pair of bibs you could spare fer tonihgt..my dress pants are at my daughters palce.

Looking great there Steve.
Understand the splits.

I usually find a few AFTER it's glued on the box:doh: :( ;)

They look awsome Steve, I still want to know if you thought about where that piece of ash will go.

Thanks Julio.....yep I know exactly where that piece of Ash is going to go. Waiting on a prototype coming in the mail from a member here at FW.

....here is a hint......

viewphoto.jpg